Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Used to twitter to ask about RP inventory on a flight and they interpreted that to mean go ahead and apply a RUC to it. That got me cleared on the second, shorter leg, and on standby for the first (transcon) leg.

I tweeted back that I was only asking about inventory and please pull the RUC, which @Delta confirmed they did.

Six hours later, "My Trips" shows the flight with two entries for each leg, one for my original and the second as RP with "Standby" on each, and the seat selection system shows three segments instead of four or two.

Should I call to make sure the RUC was pulled off correctly?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by anon2k2
Used to twitter to ask about RP inventory on a flight and they interpreted that to mean go ahead and apply a RUC to it. That got me cleared on the second, shorter leg, and on standby for the first (transcon) leg.

I tweeted back that I was only asking about inventory and please pull the RUC, which @Delta confirmed they did.

Six hours later, "My Trips" shows the flight with two entries for each leg, one for my original and the second as RP with "Standby" on each, and the seat selection system shows three segments instead of four or two.

Yes.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:27 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by anon2k2

I suspect you already know that the answer to this question is yes

I'm surprised the Twitter desk was able to apply the RUCs ... I wasn't under the impression they had that much power. Could be handy to know in the future though.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes Twitter can apply RUC/GUCs but I've always provided them the cert number and redemption code if I had them do it.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
To report a positive and easy RUC experience:

I called to apply an RUC to MSP-ATL-PVD in about three weeks. Not very long flights but the certificate will expire soon and I have low expectations for medallion upgrades on any flights that involve ATL. The upgrade inventory was immediately available for both segments. Then, I mentioned that I might try to SDC the itinerary (currently a 5:20am departure ). The agent immediately pointed out that the upgrade would remain as long as F seats were available, that I wouldn't need to find upgrade inventory on the new flights. She knew her Delta rules on both RUCs and SDC!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I confess that I have not gone back to re-read the entire thread, but are folks finding poor availability for use of UG certificates?

I typically limit my use of them to longer flights and destinations where complementary UGs are problematic.

For PHL to SFO, I am finding that the only itineraries available are the last flight of the day outbound, and the red-eye or 6:10 AM departure home. Yes, I recognize that this is a tough market.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It's sort of a self-fulfilling correlation... the markets and schedules where certs are the most valuable (i.e. bang for the buck, length of flight, heavy Medallion competition, or JFK-SFO/LAX) tend to be the ones that aren't going to clear in advance because those combinations of routes/flight times are in high demand.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: Delta, aa, united silver
The upg ATL-SFO & SFO-JFK

Hope this is the right thread. Anyone have experience clearing waitliat for ATL-SFO and SFO-JFK using regional upgrade certificates?thanks

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I confess that I have not gone back to re-read the entire thread, but are folks finding poor availability for use of UG certificates?

I typically limit my use of them to longer flights and destinations where complementary UGs are problematic.

For PHL to SFO, I am finding that the only itineraries available are the last flight of the day outbound, and the red-eye or 6:10 AM departure home. Yes, I recognize that this is a tough market.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Roadbob
Hope this is the right thread. Anyone have experience clearing waitliat for ATL-SFO and SFO-JFK using regional upgrade certificates?thanks
I've used one on ATL-SFO before. IIRC it cleared at the gate. What exactly are you asking?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:22 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Roadbob
I've cleared a waitlist a few weeks in advance on JFK-SFO before, but mainly at off-peak times for a leisure trip. If you're hoping to clear a Monday morning or Thursday afternoon flight, it's unlikely you'll clear in advance, and you may well not even clear at the gate since those flights often sell out.

Looking for the 767 frequencies on JFK-SFO may be helpful since there is a much higher ratio of business class seats to coach seats on those flights than there are on the 757s with only 16 J seats.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
tl;dr:

- people make stuff up (nothing new)
- if your position on the list feels low it's probably not coded correctly (also not new)
- HIBRES is fallible (no doubt also not new, they're human but new to me and mildly disappointing )

Long-winded version:

This happened on an international itinerary but has to do with the domestic segments, so posting in the Regional Upgrades thread where it might be more relevant. I'd cleared the international leg in advance but still waitlisted on 2 domestic segments, which I also SDCed upon arrival into the US. The waitlist didn't get transferred with the SDC.

Called the DM line, got a MN accent (confirmed specifically in a making-small-talk sort of way while we waited for the computer... "was it my accent?" "and also that you sounded like you knew what you were doing "). Said they re-applied the request and all good to go.

Refreshed itinerary on my phone (no smartphone) but showed up suspiciously in 5th on the list for the 1st segment. Went to the gate, who claimed that (1) GUC doesn't have priority on domestic flights, it goes by usual Medallion/fare order, then (2) everyone above you could be using a cert too (3) when I said "4 people seems unlikely", that it was impractical for him to investigate everyone else's fare status etc. (fair enough) but also (4) the gate has no control over priority anyway and can only go by what the computer says.

I wasn't asking him to investigate 4 records, just to make sure mine was coded correctly, but since he didn't seem to want to show initiative, I called the DM line again. They said the first phone agent didn't do all the steps "But I'll be happy to fix it for you and... oh, you're inside T-3h aren't you? Now only the gate can touch it." "Could you maybe check with a supervisor? Because the gate has already refused to have anything to do with this." Puts me on hold for less than 2 minutes. "OK you're all set."

Refreshed itinerary again. 1st on the list for both segments ^

I thought about going by the gate again to say something snarky. Then in a rare fit of maturity I decided not to. But then I wanted to make sure the GA knew, that I knew, that I'd moved to the top of the list (to ward off any possible Shena). So I said as neutrally/conversationally as possible, "Oh hey, I called the DM line and they sorted everything out so I should be at the top of the list now" which he confirmed.

I later dropped to #3 for both flights but got both upgrades
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Gold; ANZ Gold
After an unsuccessful attempt at applying them on an MR (ATL-SLC-SEA-KTN-JNU-SEA-ATL), I was pleasantly surprised that our ATL-SJC RT flights cleared our RUCs immediately -- especially pleased with the red-eye clearing Sunday night, since I'm running a half marathon that morning and will need all the sleep I can get
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
What's the best way to handle this? RUC's and upcoming redeyes

I have two Wednesday night redeyes coming up SMF-ATL-XXX and would like to get into F on both flights so I have at least a semi-decent chance of being comfortable enough to sleep for a few hours. There are no FCM offers on either flight and F appears to be at least 5x+ my original cost right now. So, I'm trying to see if I can upgrade either using a RUC or a complimentary medallion upgrade.

I have not flown this redeye for quite awhile and certainly never since I got any kind of status so I have no idea how tough this upgrade is for a PM; There appears to be plenty of open seats in F right now, but we are still 2+ weeks way.

I have not selected my choice benefits yet since I want to see if they potentially change anything (a man can dream of 2 GUC for a PM, right?) but if it is the only way to get into F on these flights I might bite. If I do that, is there a way to ensure that they only get used if the complimentary upgrade doesn't clear? How would I handle that when I call? Is that even possible?

Last edited by Dennis88; Oct 14, 2016 at 9:54 pm
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dennis88
I have not selected my choice benefits yet since I want to see if they potentially change anything (a man can dream of 2 GUC for a PM, right?) but if it is the only way to get into F on these flights I might bite. If I do that, is there a way to ensure that they only get used if the complimentary upgrade doesn't clear? How would I handle that when I call? Is that even possible?
You can't ask them to waitlist the RUC conditionally, if that's what you're asking. You're either waitlisted using the RUC or you aren't.

Based on your proposed strategy, you could wait and see what happens up until the day of travel. If you still haven't cleared, you can check-in and try to gauge what the upgrade list looks like (bearing in mind things can change due to last-minute purchase, SDC etc.) and call to apply the RUC if it looks like that's the only way you'll clear. You'd probably want to make your Choice Benefits selection the day before, to be sure that they are available for use on day of travel. Also, make your RUC go/no-go decision before T-3h because after that supposedly only the gate can touch the ticket.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Just FYI, SMF is a tough market to get an upgrade. I wouldn't wait, use the RUC, and even then, no guarantees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.