FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:16 pm
Zorak
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I used a RUC on a 2 segment itinerary, both legs cleared immediately and the ticket was reissued. There was a 90 minute schedule change on my first segment, IAD-ATL. I asked if I could switch to a DCA-ATL segment that leaves at the same time as my original flight. The agent said I can change without penalty, but since there is no RUC availability on DCA-ATL I would be waitlisted rather than staying in F on that segment. Is this correct?
Originally Posted by WWads
Yes that's correct.
I might not give up quite so easily. This experience is somewhat dated and things may have changed, but:

Originally Posted by Zorak
click "REGIONAL UPGRADE TERMS & CONDITIONS" and see #14 :

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/choice-benefits/systemwide-upgrade-certificates.html
​​​​

Last year I had a reservation with a cleared RUC that had a schedule change below MCT. They were willing to work with me for flights within reason, but said if I wanted to go from redeye to first flight the morning of the same day (I think it was something like 13 hours earlier) at that point it'd be considered a voluntary change and I'd lose the cert. Don't know if HUCA would have changed anything but it sounded reasonable and DL has done me favors before so I didn't push it.
Item #14 still reads "Changes: Voluntary changes in reservations on ticketed itineraries are permitted only pursuant to the rules of the fare purchased, but upgrade is not guaranteed and will depend on availability and these terms and conditions. Where permitted, changes may require payment of a change fee and/or any difference in the applicable fare. Any refund or cancellation will result in the loss of the upgrade certificate."

IMO this hinges on what "voluntary" means, and while 90-minute schedule change isn't the same thing as a new schedule violating MCT, this seems worth at least one HUCA.