Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
Longtime lurker, first-time poster.

I've been following this thread with great interest — I fly TCON ~once a month (LAX-JFK), int'l ~4 times a year (mostly for business), and a few other domestic flights here and there.

Anyway. I emailed DL to let them know about my extreme disappointment with the discontinuation of the TCON upgrades and I thought you all would be interested in the reply I got today.

Thank you for contacting us through delta.com.

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed in the changes to the
upgrades coming in 2014. Our goal is to provide a superior BusinessElite
product to our passengers, and because of this investment we have made
on the transcontinental flights {which include BusinessElite flat-bed
seats with Westin Heavenly In-Flight Bedding, and premium dining}, it is
important that we protect the value of these seats by discontinuing
complimentary upgrades.

I want to reassure you we take customer feedback very seriously and your
comments are not falling on deaf ears. I have forwarded your comments
to our SkyMiles Elite Leadership Team for internal review. I know there
is nothing I can say to erase your disappointment with these changes,
but please know my apologies are most sincere.

I hope with all the hours you have invested in Delta Air Lines as a
Platinum Medallion, you will protect that investment, and continue
flying with us.

Sincerely,

[redacted]
Medallion Desk
… which basically confirms everything people have been speculating in this thread. I guess it will remain to be seen what happens to the empty BE seats from now on...
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, LAXtoJFK. Thank you for sharing the communication from DL.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Does AA fly with a flatbed or lie-flat product?
No, AA has a single daily domestic 737 flying JFK-SEA. Delta's product, frequency, and capacity are in a completely different league.

Although AA does allow sticker (complimentary for EXP) upgrades on LAX/SFO-JFK, which do have their premium product (though not flat beds until the A321s start going into service, which is soon now). Dunno what UA does.

I thought DL was the only carrier flying JFK-SEA or even NYC-SEA with a true premium product (ie not domestic First)
They are.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Does AA fly with a flatbed or lie-flat product? I thought DL was the only carrier flying JFK-SEA or even NYC-SEA with a true premium product (ie not domestic First)
Of what relevance is that? The only thing that matters now is how Delta's Y product compares to the other carriers premium product.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by jiburi
... AS provides nonstop to EWR and also have "no upgrade" exclusion.

Jiburi
Are you sure about that? The AS SEA-EWR flight has some extremely long upgrade lists. It's one of the hardest upgrades on AS but it's still possible.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Hey I just noticed:

SWU
2. Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances.

GU
2. Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue; all travel must be complete prior to certificate expiration date. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances.

RU
2. Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue; all travel must be complete prior to certificate expiration date. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances.

If you select the RUs or GUs better use them sooner than later because they expire earlier than the SWUs do.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Just selected SWUs and used two to upgrade a W fare on AF to business class for Octoberfest 2014. Paid $400 over the coach fare for W fare. Found O class availability using Expertflyer. Quite easy. Will definitely miss the SWUs. I see no real reason to be Diamond and these new changes (no transcon upgrades) make me even less likely to want it. I wish 4 SWU with current restrictions dom and int would still be a plat choice (and used on transcons K+ fares). Regional upgrades for those who are pure domestic and not in NYC, SWUs as an expensive middle ground but can be used dom or int and then global upgrades only for diamonds. That would be a great compromise in my mind.

One other suggestion - AA gives you more upgrade certs as you travel. Perhaps offer two transcon certs for every 4 paid business transcon roundtrips? For those of us who's work will pay for business, not having any real way to upgrade on one personal trip is tough (as a PM or below).
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by LAXtoJFK

...I want to reassure you we take customer feedback very seriously and your
comments are not falling on deaf ears.
Golly, if only someone had altered DL about their crap "award calendar," they would have had them IT fellers workin' to fix it likkity split.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
San Diego also has a cluster of high income people.

You might be correct about the distribution of the FF population in general and high income individuals, but FFers in different locations are more or less likely to fly DL depending on where they live. For instance, DL doesn't have a hub or much nonstop service from the Bay Area, so high income FFers aren't very likely to use DL as their primary or even secondary program. The same is true for the LA area, although less so since DL has more service at LAX than SFO. Similarly, in NYC, DL is increasing its presence, presumably with more (high income) FFers, but many of them focus on AA/US or UA/CO, especially if EWR is more convenient for them (which would include all of the Jersey suburbs as well as at least parts of lower Manhattan).

By contrast, DL FFers are more likely to be concentrated, relative to the population of FFers in general, around DL's hubs and focus cities, such as ATL, SLC, MSP, DTW, CVG, SEA, MEM, IND, BOS, RDU, TPA, PDX, etc.

For discretionary spending on premium cabin air travel, what probably matters is not absolute per capita or family income but some measure of discretionary income after taxes relative to the local cost of living. These adjustments would knock down "income" data for California and New York substantially.
I believe there is a big difference between "high earners" and high spenders. There are a lot of people that are high income earners that find it ridiculous what Delta is doing. I also know that many Fortune 100 companies travel web sites, lets their employees select what airline they want to travel on within reason. Contract or no contract. The employee is going to select the best service airline. This will hurt Delta. Also, from ceo to new employee, many Fortune 100 companies use the same booking options(unless on the private jet) Big spenders can fizzle out quickly vs. conservative high earners that will be around.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:12 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LAXtoJFK
I hope with all the hours you have invested in Delta Air Lines as a Platinum Medallion, you will protect that investment, and continue flying with us.

Sincerely,

[redacted]
Medallion Desk
I find this an interesting choice of PR lingo.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by number21
GU

RU

If you select the RUs or GUs better use them sooner than later because they expire earlier than the SWUs do.
Probably wouldn't matter even if travel could occur later, since you'd need available inventory to confirm the upgrade and actually use/close the cert prior to expiration. I'd expect the overwhelming majority of these certs to end up going to the gate.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Once, just once, I'd like to see a post from DL about a program change that adds something without taking something else away. And the more I read about these changes, the more it looks like a net loss for all of us.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by rylan
Probably wouldn't matter even if travel could occur later, since you'd need available inventory to confirm the upgrade and actually use/close the cert prior to expiration. I'd expect the overwhelming majority of these certs to end up going to the gate.
It will matter even more then. Frequently I would use my SWU on a future flight dated past the cert expiration date that had availability space (up to almost a year). You no longer can do this; so you’ll to have to be careful and use your GU and RU with plenty of time in front of the expiration date. Especially if your waitlisted and end up not using the cert.

The expanded fare classes on the RUs and GUs are great; but considering that you can't use EF for award searches any longer you will need to give yourself more time to find a flight with availability (with delta online phone support). It will be best to redeem the certs close to use.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by davetravels
I find this an interesting choice of PR lingo.
I've gotten that line before.

It reads like "Walk away... We dare you..."
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
I've gotten that line before.

It reads like "Walk away... We dare you..."
Status match. set and game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.