2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kdragondrummer
This totally affects my loyalty to DL as a PM. Without the opportunity for T-con upgrades - my route is primarily JFK/Cali - there is simply no value for me to direct all my business to DL. At least with SWUs and the smart booking I could get BE occasionally. Now, I'll just shop around for the best price/class ratio, especially with B6 Mint coming.

I have to say though, its liberating not to feel loyal to DL anymore. Now when flying to asia in J I can look at the best option rather than focus only on a DL routing.
There is yet another option-connect in MSP/DTT/SLC/ATL/SEA where fare rules allow it.
(admittedly ATL might not be the best way for upgrades, though at least the chance isn't 0.)
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I know the service from jfk to lax is better than atlanta to lax, but do you think they are concerned they might lose one of their largest pools of DM's if they did the same thing from atlanta as they are dong from jfk? I hope Emirates comes to the midwest!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by puntamita
I know the service from jfk to lax is better than atlanta to lax, but do you think they are concerned they might lose one of their largest pools of DM's if they did the same thing from atlanta as they are dong from jfk? I hope Emirates comes to the midwest!
I could see them having an operation at ORD at best for expansion.
MIA would be next on my guess list.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I have said this before but I believe Delta, UA, and AA are so focused on themselves. They need to be focused on Emirates and other like airlines. They have a lot of money and are targeting Delta, UA, and AA. Believe the big 3 better be careful.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by GGBFlyer
The only way to upgrade into BE on trans-con flights will be to shell out 25K miles RT. Let's see how long it takes until this option is taken away.
As has been observed many times in this thread, mileage upgrades on these routes do not clear since there is almost never advance inventory and mileage upgrades do not clear at the gate.

To those expecting the ~$250 gate upgrades... DL never sells these on the international routes, why would they do so on these routes (after 3/1)? Gotta protect that premium product integrity.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

+1. your high if you think they will offer 250 UG on this route and would love to hear If anyone has successfully done a mileage UG on this route other than Christmas day
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Thought I was having a bad dream. Guess I'm not dreaming.
I'm Pussy Galore.

I must be dreaming.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by bennos
To those expecting the ~$250 gate upgrades... DL never sells these on the international routes, why would they do so on these routes (after 3/1)? Gotta protect that premium product integrity.
Yup, and remove BE or FC seats from much of the fleet.

I wonder if it's kind of a fail for Delta to be removing J seats from much of the international fleet, and to be removing F seats from many of the domestic birds.

David
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Looks like Delta is not offering Complimentary Medallion Upgrades on its JFK-LAX,SFO,SEA flights effective 03 /14, not that it was ever possible to upgrade using those anyway.
I just checked, and I'm actually running around 50% upgrades (Diamond, flights selected based purely on price and timing but typically JFK-SFO first morning flight Thursday, return last evening flight Monday, unless another flight is cheaper). A couple of LAX flights upgraded with SWUs (since K was the lowest fare available anyway), probably would have cleared without.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Originally Posted by puntamita
I have said this before but I believe Delta, UA, and AA are so focused on themselves. They need to be focused on Emirates and other like airlines. They have a lot of money and are targeting Delta, UA, and AA. Believe the big 3 better be careful.
I can promise you they are focused. If you look at the comments Richard Anderson makes - they are very concerned about state owned airlines. EK's significant increase in capacity in MXP is a threat to all the domestic carriers.

Last edited by AdamDunn32; Dec 13, 2013 at 10:24 pm
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The only way to upgrade into BE on trans-con flights will be to shell out 25K miles RT. Let's see how long it takes until this option is taken away.
Perhaps not even then, as traditionally upgrade inventory has not been released in advance on these routes, and mileage upgrade waitlists are not carried over to the gate.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
There is yet another option-connect in MSP/DTT/SLC/ATL/SEA where fare rules allow it.
(admittedly ATL might not be the best way for upgrades, though at least the chance isn't 0.)
For me, it's no longer worth connecting (and adding 1.5-2+ hours of travel) to my journey.

I understand that Delta's made a business decision, and I'm not particularly upset. Its just that I'll do the same and make my travel choice no longer via loyalty. :-)
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
What about Silver or Gold Medallions? Do you think Delta SkyMiles program will have to change?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
Yes, but then what? You choose SkyMiles and you get 6 unrelated options:

Request Mileage Credit
Promotions Inquiry
Create an Account
Update SkyMiles Account
Questions on flown mileage, MQMs, MQSs, MQDs posted
SkyMiles Number and Password Assistance
Just pick anything and complain. We need to make our voice heard.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought the GE fee was only $100. Unless your travel is all corporate and none of it out of pocket, you would be better off taking the $200 Delta voucher since there is no hassle using that.

I wonder if anyone will select the Tiffany diamond tag. IMO that is a total waste unless Delta is planning on keeping the tag design the same every year from now on.
Don't forget that UA reimburses GE to all 1K's for free. No need to give up some other (choice) benefit. DL offering this isn't much of an improvement if you ask me.

Originally Posted by cmh flyer
Can someone explain why DON'T awards with miles go to the gate? Maybe that should be a change, in light of all the other changes?
+1, I don't know either. My guess is DL IT.

Originally Posted by davetravels
Does anyone think they took away JFK transcon UGs, at least, partially as a tradeoff to appease the employees, as they are certainly going to lose int'l J non-rev seats with the new Global Certs? They do have a large group of people that they need to keep happy.
Again, you PRESUME DL is going to release the same amount or more OU when the new GPU certs go live. Don't be fooled.

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
They do if the person upgraded to the front cabin opens up a Y seat that could then be sold. @:-)

In addition, by giving a free UG to a Medallion they are reinforcing the reason hy that person should stay loyal to DL and not jump ship and spend their travel money with another carrier.
+1 on both accounts. Some PM airlines got that, DL does not.

Originally Posted by lamont2718
If DL is going to copy UA's policy of giving zero complimentary upgrades on TCON flights, then DL should also copy UA's policy of allowing RPUs on TCON flights.

If DL doesn't want to open up TCON BE seats to Regional Upgrades on super low fares, then DL should just restrict the use of Regional Upgrades on TCON flights to K+ fares (the same way SWUs currently work). But requiring the use of "Global Upgrades" on domestic routes is absurd.
And if DL wants at least par with UA, then give more UG certs the more MQM you fly. DL went from having the tcon be a strength in the program to now a weakest link.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Any word on the Delta360 "experiment" and how they will be impacted by the 2014 program changes?

Will Delta360 passengers receive more generous upgrade opportunities on JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA and international flights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.