Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 SkyMiles Program Changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rylan
Geez, little overreaction? I didn't see anything in that post to say only use some of the crazy posts on FT for their info. However, it is another source of information, and any smart company should be taking advantage of all of the available information sources since there are some good insights and opinions here in between the crap.
No smart company should or would use a site like this.

Anonymous postings on a chat site with no verifiable demographic info. Who would use that?

The same people REPEATEDLY stating this is the reason they will leave DL with each and every change.

It might be used for cheap entertainment on Virginia Avenue, but believe me, it is not the bellwether of change (unless they are using to find how people are gaming the system and installing roadblocks).

No offense meant...just an example: You write you are a PM - there is NO verifying that. You could be - I COULD BE a 300 lb disenchanted teenager in his parents bedroom. I am sure you aren't. I am not, but there is no way DL could quantify ANYTHING on here.

NO responsible company would use non-verifiable information.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You don't think if/when people post here about loopholes or finding ways around things that DL notices and uses that? They've also fixed things on the website and smartphone app that've been posted about on here.

Sure there are plenty of threads that I'm positive they ignore and rightfully so, or use just for amusement.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Interesting to see so many new members are signing in to post this. I'm guessing DL gets a lot of heat for the SFO/LAX/SEA-JFK loss of UGs and hope they come up with something better, something (ie: chance of upgrade) to give people a reason to buy more than just the lowest fare. This would be a perfect route to say only DMs get the 'chance' to UG on space avail basis.
I think they either completely roll back the changes to comp upgrades on these routes or they lose thousands of PM/DM customers- the DMs probably almost overnight.

This is clearly a decent change for flyover state folks, and low-tier west coast folks now have a possible upgrade to Hawaii instead of almost no chance of a transcon upgrade, but east coast PMs got totally shafted, and most of the NY/LA based DMs I know are DM due to 2-3x a month TCONs.

I was going to fly enough for DM in 2014, but if I stay with Delta I'm going to need to move my TCON business to B6 EMS now, and without that I won't make DM. It is entirely clear that PM on the east coast will be near worthless from March- probably better off moving all of my flying to someone else.

Last edited by mother-; Dec 13, 2013 at 10:12 am Reason: of/off
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
If DL is going to copy UA's policy of giving zero complimentary upgrades on TCON flights, then DL should also copy UA's policy of allowing RPUs on TCON flights.

If DL doesn't want to open up TCON BE seats to Regional Upgrades on super low fares, then DL should just restrict the use of Regional Upgrades on TCON flights to K+ fares (the same way SWUs currently work). But requiring the use of "Global Upgrades" on domestic routes is absurd.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mother-
I think they either completely roll back the changes to comp upgrades on these routes or they lose thousands of PM/DM customers- the DMs probably almost overnight.
** There are no comp upgrades below EXP on AA
** There are no PS comp upgrades on UA
** There is no established upgrade policy on B6 to Mint (which even in its rollout won't be on all flights)

To whom are folks going to flee? Sounds like DL is completely competitive in this market.

If you are going to leave, leave. Vote with your wallet. If you are correct and "thousands" defect because of it, you are likely to see a rollback in policy. However, jaded threats and suggestions on an internet chat board are not a marketing study, nor are they reliable. I wouldn't expect DL to act based on the hypothesis of a board that is designed to get the most for the least spend. Sorry - the game is changing.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
** There are no comp upgrades below EXP on AA
** There are no PS comp upgrades on UA
** There is no established upgrade policy on B6 to Mint (which even in its rollout won't be on all flights)

To whom are folks going to flee? Sounds like DL is completely competitive in this market.

If you are going to leave, leave. Vote with your wallet. If you are correct and "thousands" defect because of it, you are likely to see a rollback in policy. However, jaded threats and suggestions on an internet chat board are not a marketing study, nor are they reliable. I wouldn't expect DL to act based on the hypothesis of a board that is designed to get the most for the least spend. Sorry - the game is changing.
Bubba, you're on my ignore list so normally I wouldn't even see this, but.

-DMs will make EXP.
-PM who instead flies B6 EMS on TCONs will be more comfortable (I didn't say anything about Mint)

Anyhow I wasn't posting to make threats, I was giving my opinion on what will happen- I think many will leave very quickly even you can't deny that anyone who is a Y-only-by-mandate JFK<->LAX DM will not stay one second past the end of complimentary upgrades... I'd bet things are similar for JFK/SFO.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:48 am

Bubba, you're on my ignore list so normally I wouldn't even see this, but.
LMAO! Something went wrong. It wasn't even re-quoted.

Ignore other opinions.....LOL...makes ya real successful in life.

DL is projected to make 2.6 Billion this year pre-tax. You want something for which you are unwilling to pay. I think the smart bet is on Delta. Sorry.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Sorry - the game is changing.
Only an idiot or someone who has their head buried in the sand could possibly disagree with you.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
-DMs will make EXP.
-PM who instead flies B6 EMS on TCONs will be more comfortable (I didn't say anything about Mint)

Anyhow I wasn't posting to make threats, I was giving my opinion on what will happen- I think many will leave very quickly even you can't deny that anyone who is a Y-only-by-mandate JFK<->LAX DM will not stay one second past the end of complimentary upgrades... I'd bet things are similar for JFK/SFO.
Not saying you are wrong, but IMO doubtful you are right.

Easy to understand why those DM’s who fly mostly JFK BE tcons on Y- fares would be upset. But notwithstanding the FT chatter, it seems they are a relatively small subset of all DM’s. Sure, some may switch to AA but (1) DL’s hard product is arguably nicer, (2) there is no guarantee that they will receive an UG as an EXP, and (3) worst of all, it may be just a matter of time before AA joins DL and UA on this.

As for PM’s, they can fly B6 or whatever airline they want BUT… they know they will be giving up 5K MQM’s each time to do so. For many, this may be the difference between PM and GM. Seriously, how many will REALLY give up EC and their status just to fly in lie-flats on this one route?

As FFers, we are long past greener grass anywhere and this won’t improve for at least another year, maybe two.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I think they aren't going to budge from the price. They told themselves the product is worth more than it is, the market told them no it isn't, and now they're thinking that somehow if they give less to passengers they will benefit.

Dropping the price to something reasonable would freeze us all out without them having to explictly insult us. If they sell gate upgrades I'm buying them if they're some reasonable price. But I'm thinking no, I think it's a reaction to there being something of a lack of market enthusiasm for their product at its price.
I don't think they will drop the price for this reason: Everything I've read seems to indicate they have picked up a lot of corporate contracts and continue to pick them up in droves. With all premium transcon routes most likely going back to all 75's once the mods are done, they will only have 16 seats to sell up front. I personally don't think that will be a problem at 2 thou a pop will all those contracts.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Ti22
All while you deal for a year with your current program status that isn't what it was ADVERTISED to be?
DL gave us a year to get ready for the implementation of the MQD factor but this is a purely revenue based decision. They can start making money of this immediately.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, but at what price are all these corporate contracts? Depending on how deep are the discounts, this may not be a winning strategy. It can be smarter longterm to give the seat to an elite who has paid for an expensive coach ticket, or at least to retain that option when the BE seat would otherwise be empty.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Not saying you are wrong, but IMO doubtful you are right.

Easy to understand why those DM’s who fly mostly JFK BE tcons on Y- fares would be upset. But notwithstanding the FT chatter, it seems they are a relatively small subset of all DM’s. Sure, some may switch to AA but (1) DL’s hard product is arguably nicer, (2) there is no guarantee that they will receive an UG as an EXP, and (3) worst of all, it may be just a matter of time before AA joins DL and UA on this.

As for PM’s, they can fly B6 or whatever airline they want BUT… they know they will be giving up 5K MQM’s each time to do so. For many, this may be the difference between PM and GM. Seriously, how many will REALLY give up EC and their status just to fly in lie-flats on this one route?

As FFers, we are long past greener grass anywhere and this won’t improve for at least another year, maybe two.
2 things:
1)You're kidding yourself that the TCON DMs neither represent many, nor that they would 100% definitely jump to not *always* sit in coach. They are GONE. (They probably stack rank right behind the Intl J DMs in numbers)

2)Please read my original post. I think you've just agreed with me about PMs, they very well might be better off jumping to another airline.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by swevc
JFK DM here. I do about 20 JFK->LAX/SFO legs per year so this was a tough pill to swallow. I've always thought the transcon upgrade was one of the best benefit of SM and since on most days it went to high fare DMs and PMs at the gate, not one where Delta is gaining much by taking it away from us.
How many upgrades do you typically get? Are those on lie-flats?

IIRC, those are the routes where all aircraft are going to lie-flat in J. When that happens, there will be a lot fewer seats available for upgrades. I wonder if DL will reveal how many.

If it turns out that there were never any available for medallion upgrades, I think DL is shooting itself in the foot.

Or, maybe, there will be a few, sold for around $250 instead of given away free. That might or might not hurt Delta (badwill losses could easily exceed the cash benefits).
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Not looking at full Y fare, seems like the only time a Diamond will be below a Plat on the UG list will be if the Plat has a cert and the Diamond does not. If both of them have certs, Diamond always wins, no?
Sure; but a Diamond has 8 certs for maybe 40 flights, so she's unprotected on most of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.