Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Matching DM to EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Im considering this as well, but I am concerned about a possible US Air merger.

My travel patterns the next few year will probably be LAX - NYC, LAX - IAH

DTW MSY, DTW LAX. Probably two trips to Asia and two to the middle east.

Trying to figure out if I keep my Delta AMEX that I can have psudeo FO and AA EXP.

Looking for input....

Maps
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
UG's available 6 days out on AA vs DL

So I wanted to just see what my chances might be for UG's 6 days out (1 day later than the 5 day window for DM and EXP) from three hub routes where EXP are high in number (ORD) and DM's (MSP). Routing was to SFO, BOS or LGA using Expertflyer. Same number of available seat to LGA, but DL beats AA to SFO and to BOS. Of course this is a bit of a guessing game. This was for 1/27 and I'm going to monitor as the week goes on. Bottom line is that if you want to fly F buy it and sometimes it's not much more than coach depending upon when you buy. I'm DM and not EXP currently because I'm a bit of a hub captive but it may be (unlike what some posts say either on the DL page or the AA page) that DM may in this day and age of seats available, buy ups and matches be an easier UG than for EXP.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:37 am

AA offer

Originally Posted by LuvAv8n
I was matched on 6 December, and received the following:

Please accept our invitation to experience some of the special benefits
we provide to members at our highest elite-status level. In a few weeks,
you will receive your AAdvantage Executive Platinum® membership card,
which is valid through March 31, 2013. This unique membership will be
applied to your account in just a few days and will afford you all of
the privileges and most of the benefits of this level....
....Plus, you have the opportunity to extend your AAdvantage Executive
Platinum status through February 28, 2014. Simply earn 25,000
elite-qualifying miles or points between December 1, 2012 and March 31,
2013. Please note that bonus elite-qualifying miles and points earned
through other promotions are excluded from this offer. For details on
earning qualifying miles or points, visit www.aa.com/elitestatus.

Once you meet the goal of 25,000 base elite qualifying base miles or
points by March 31, 2013, you will receive all the benefits and
privileges of our highest elite level, including eight (8) one-way
Systemwide Upgrades. Systemwide Upgrades are valid for travel worldwide
and allow you to confirm a seat in the next class of service at the time
of booking (subject to availability).

So, I have to fly 25,000 EQM or EQP by 31 March, to maintain my status the rest of the year. If I reach this goal, I THEN get my 8 SWUs.

Oh, so far, because I had already booked my Christmas vacation when they matched me, and this is the slow time of the year, I have exactly ZERO miles toward my goal.

Is AA doing a straight match now, or do you still have to meet the requirement?

Thanks
Av8n
I checked and it's the same requirements. Three months to rack up 25K miles to get a full year and the 8 SWU's.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bcj1949
I checked and it's the same requirements. Three months to rack up 25K miles to get a full year and the 8 SWU's.
So its not quite a status match its more or less a challenge similar to the one DL/UA offer.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pbarnette
The new tail design is just awful. I mean, I don't choose my airline based upon the paint job, but that is just an awful paint job.
Agreed--a real turn-off. As is his use of the cliched phrase "moment in time," though that's probably the least of AA's worries. One thing they do have going for them is the lack of the hokey, Hee Haw overtones emanating from DL's CEO.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by ryanm
Agreed--a real turn-off. As is his use of the cliched phrase "moment in time," though that's probably the least of AA's worries. One thing they do have going for them is the lack of the hokey, Hee Haw overtones emanating from DL's CEO.
AA seems to be heading down the JC Penney road and I cringe.

Still liking their schedules more and more for my route but that paint job? LOL....
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:04 am

Using SWU on DL vs AA to Germany

Ok one more comparison. I need to go to Germany (small city in the middle of Germany) so checked fares on flights from MSP to FRA or ORD to DUS which had availability for an UG with SWU using both Expertflyer and fares on DL or AA website. Here things favor AA. Can book low AA fare at $1100 and pay $1100 co-pay to UG. Fare on DL is $3100. Probably could continue to shop around. I'm going to check out same thing later today MSP > NRT vs ORD > NRT. What I think is common on the DL and AA pages which is DL may win the day for domestic travel as elites but if you want to use SWU's on international travel AA may be the way to go. So as usual it's one's travel pattern and priorities that guide which programs are best fits.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
A lot of folks say that the EXP flying experience is superior to the DL flying experience, and I suppose that may be in part because there seem to be far fewer AA EXPs than DL DMs (at least from what I've seen.) AA is a smaller airline, and barring status matches, EXP is harder to obtain than DM (at least until MQDs start.)

So when there are fewer DMs and PMs in 2015 thanks to MQDs, hopefully some of that EXP experience will creep over. And then DMs will truly feel special on this larger airline with an admittedly stronger route network, where the cabin modernization program is just about finishing vs. just getting started.

Sure, AA has eVIPs, better meal service, no FCM, clubs that do indeed provide a reliably quiet respite, an upgrade list that--mostly--doesn't prioritize fare class, and free drinks and snacks on that very rare occasion an EXP is riding in coach... but, honestly? Please, stay away
Old Jan 19, 2013, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
AA used to be the premier airline in the US. Now all that remains is the silver shell. Pilots are pissed and rejecting planes, calling in sick or showing up late, FA's are pissed and their service is reflecting it. It's going to take some time post BK for the AA employees to accept the changes and stop acting like grumps. Even worse, is this is exactly what USAir is known for, so a merger will only make it worse. Coupled with USAir's already huge debt, and the costs of a merger, not to mention the relatively low value of the USair flight network, uggghhh. I see more benefit roll backs and labor wars in the future if they merge, followed by huge reductions in on board amenities, reductions in service, followed by another BK.

If AA goes it alone and increases their international network they could be a compelling option, especially for a LAX flyer like myself.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by g2gtrading
So its not quite a status match its more or less a challenge similar to the one DL/UA offer.
Good to know, as I was getting ready to call for a straight match.
I guess the good news is that the challenge is free. Think back a few years, you had to pay for the challenge AND fly the miles...and could only match to Plat.

I am going to try AA at the end of the month, and see how it goes. I won't get upgraded on the intl legs, I can live with that, but am doing a mini-MR in US, so will have 6 domestic flights. We'll see how many upgrades I score, as I rarely miss on DL.

Av8n
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by theYipster
A lot of folks say that the EXP flying experience is superior to the DL flying experience, and I suppose that may be in part because there seem to be far fewer AA EXPs than DL DMs (at least from what I've seen.) AA is a smaller airline, and barring status matches, EXP is harder to obtain than DM (at least until MQDs start.)

So when there are fewer DMs and PMs in 2015 thanks to MQDs, hopefully some of that EXP experience will creep over. And then DMs will truly feel special on this larger airline with an admittedly stronger route network, where the cabin modernization program is just about finishing vs. just getting started.

Sure, AA has eVIPs, better meal service, no FCM, clubs that do indeed provide a reliably quiet respite, an upgrade list that--mostly--doesn't prioritize fare class, and free drinks and snacks on that very rare occasion an EXP is riding in coach... but, honestly? Please, stay away
I don't feel special if I have to pay more than 4 x a coach fare to have a chance to upgrade to a J that with the 77W will be worse.
Less EXPs?
I had battlefield upgrades on SFO-MIA and MIA-JFK without a single empty F seat this year.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Deadtail
AA used to be the premier airline in the US. Now all that remains is the silver shell. Pilots are pissed and rejecting planes, calling in sick or showing up late, FA's are pissed and their service is reflecting it. It's going to take some time post BK for the AA employees to accept the changes and stop acting like grumps. Even worse, is this is exactly what USAir is known for, so a merger will only make it worse. Coupled with USAir's already huge debt, and the costs of a merger, not to mention the relatively low value of the USair flight network, uggghhh. I see more benefit roll backs and labor wars in the future if they merge, followed by huge reductions in on board amenities, reductions in service, followed by another BK.

If AA goes it alone and increases their international network they could be a compelling option, especially for a LAX flyer like myself.
This LAX flyer agrees. But I'm taking a wait and see approach to where DL is and my spend is in 2015; i'm expecting a bit better SkyPriority & upgrade experience with thinned elite ranks and remain optimistic that the EOS/redemption announcement will actually improve award avail.

But AA has generally excellent award avail and a pretty good tool to search of them. SWU's are another plus (assuming US keeps them).

But the biggest thing keeping me from making AA my main carrier is having to go to the AA forum on FT: the snAARk and bitterness there is pretty bad, and members of that forum are only part of the problem. (TOS prevent me from discussing moderAAtion.)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I don't feel special if I have to pay more than 4 x a coach fare to have a chance to upgrade to a J that with the 77W will be worse.
Less EXPs?
I had battlefield upgrades on SFO-MIA and MIA-JFK without a single empty F seat this year.
But those SWU's are only useful on AA Metal. Given AA's limited long range network (esp compared to DL), it limits the value of those SWUs.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fieldeng
But those SWU's are only useful on AA Metal. Given AA's limited long range network (esp compared to DL), it limits the value of those SWUs.
So?
You can interline/codeshare after the longhaul AA flights.
(Then again NRT-BKK/SGN/KUL/SIN/JKT aren't exactly short flights but JL sake in Y is actually not bad.)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by theYipster
If you honestly expect a dramatic reduction in the ranks, you are likely to be disappointed.

And you won't see a reduction until 3/1/2015.

Even mileage runners will have a good shot at retaining status, as voucher spending will count towards the thresholds.

AA is a troubled airline, but they are digging their way out and they treat EXP members like kings. Heck, I even got welcomed into an Admirals Club lounge at ORD last year like a long lost friend. The agent looked up the incoming flight, and said I could come back in about an hour and have them check on the final departure gate for my flight. And she gave me a brief overview of the lounge, and where I could find amenities.

That was entering with a Plat Amex card. I've never gotten that kind of treatment at a Sky Club, even as a long time member whose membership goes into 2019 now.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.