Wiki Posts
Search

AA Matching DM to EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I take my design seriously.
I take my design seriously too. As far as airline paint jobs go, it's decent enough...certainly not offensive.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
But hopefully it was clear that I was joking about throwing up.
Nope, not really. Not unless you used the invisible emoticons
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Threw up, seriously? It's a few red, white and blue painted lines. Or are you "attempt[ing] to crank the hyperbole up to 11", to borrow your words from another thread?
My reaction is that it resembles the USA flag too much. That tail could become a target. There was also a lot of patriotism at the end of that AA videoclip.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by Stripe
I wouldn't say "dreadful", but it does not compare well to DL's lie-flats. I'd put it a notch ahead of the angled-flats in the A330's, and well ahead of the cradle seats DL still has on at least some of the 767s and 757s. The nice thing about AA is that the seats are consistent across the fleet. No guessing or getting screwed by equipment changes. In addition, AA also has F on its 777s, where the seats hands down beat anything in the DL fleet. If you buy into J it's a fairly easy upgrade to F. And AA will leapfrog DL when it starts rolling out its new J and F seats. DL's business class pillows are way better than AA's, or anyone else's for that matter.

As an AA EXP I'm not excited to see it given away like this, especially after the deluge of UA refugees last year. But I would be surprised if there were many DL takers. EXP is much more of a lateral move from DM than it was from 1K. Upgrade rates, CS and treatment in IROPs is probably equivalent. The AA SWUs kill DL's, the domestic F experience is more "first class", the lounges are better, and the companion upgrade program works like it should. DL has a better international network.
If you only get 8 SWU's, a trip from for instance LAX-FRA would eat up four of them RT, assuming you need to use one per segment. So two trips to Europe and your back in J without a method to upgrade to F. Plus, I think Delta's every seat has isle access layouts is very underestimated.

I don't think AA is scheduled to begin upgrading existing aircraft until 2014???
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Deadtail
If you only get 8 SWU's, a trip from for instance LAX-FRA would eat up four of them RT, assuming you need to use one per segment. So two trips to Europe and your back in J. Plus, I think Delta's every seat has isle access layouts is very underestimated.
Each SWU can be used for up to 3 segments.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:40 pm

Delta's every seat has isle access layouts is very underestimated.
Huh? That is ridiculous. I fly all the major airlines in J and Delta is in my opinion no better or worse than any of them. There are only a handful of J middle seats so just don't take one. I have a lot of mileage in J and I have never had a middle seat. The only people who will have a middle are up-graders who are willing to take it. It is no different for Y...if there is only middles left you take the next flight. How is that an advantage for Delta?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:42 pm

If you only get 8 SWU's, a trip from for instance LAX-FRA would eat up four of them RT, assuming you need to use one per segment. So two trips to Europe and your back in J without a method to upgrade to F. Plus, I think Delta's every seat has isle access layouts is very underestimated.

I don't think AA is scheduled to begin upgrading existing aircraft until 2014???
Hoiw are you getting one per segment>?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
My residence is a UK address but my US-issued credit cards (including DL AMEX) are tied to my APO (US) address. We'll see what happens. Most of my ST travel is on DL to/from the USA.
mind if i have Delta send my mail to your house in the UK?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
IF they merge with USair this might mean something, but living in the south, AA has too little a footprint.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DiverDave
The AA 773s will be 10 across in Y, which will be wretched.

But in any case, life as an AA EXP is well above life as a Delta DM.

David
It has 10 across in Y but 9 across in Main Cabin Extra (the AA version of EC), which EXPs have free access to. Also, SWUs are good on all fares, so you can SWU any coach fare to biz and any biz fare to first.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by amolkold
. Also, SWUs are good on all fares, so you can SWU any coach fare to biz and any biz fare to first.
is that only domestic or international as well
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
is that only domestic or international as well
Both
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by troyintn
IF they merge with USair this might mean something, but living in the south, AA has too little a footprint.
They have too little footprint in far more areas than the South. Their own-metal international network is laughable (save Latin America) and their SWUs are severely limited in value as a result.

I like AA. I genuinely do. But they are not remotely the airline DL is in terms of network and reach.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Exactly! This is targeting the Medallions who get status almost entirely through cheap Mileage Runs, and subsequently, take away upgrades and benefits from lower-tier Medallions, even if those lower-tier Medallions spend a heck of a lot more. I don't think Delta cares when people do an MR or two to bump up to the next level, but there are people who make doing MRs for pennies a lifestyle, and ultimately, these people are costing Delta more than they're bringing in. The people in that boat don't like hearing that necessarily, but that's the way it is. The only case those people have is they can argue that by buying cheap fares, they're still forcing others to buy higher fares or "buying a seat that would go unused" but that argument only goes so far. The point of the revenue requirement is to ensure that you're bringing in enough revenue to DL to justify the benefits you're receiving.

Now I'm glad AA is offering status challenges still. I'm planning to do one over the summer when I fly AA in F for my honeymoon so I can have status on two airlines, especially since with government travel, I don't always get a choice in the airline I fly and will be nice to have the status on AA if/when I'm required to fly AA.
Dumbest concept ever..I spent 20K on airfare every year but what you are saying makes no sense.

If there are unfilled seats on airplanes and a Mileage Runner is buying them for the sake of Mileage Running and earning status, EXTRA DEMAND TO FLY IS CREATED!! Take away that demand and you will STILL be offering low fares to be competitive but you fill less seats. If a flight goes out one seat empty because a Mileage runner left Delta for someone else, that is 4 cents per mile lost of pure profit (other than sparing having to give out a few useless skymiles)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wonder if UA will open the match gates?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:57 am

IF you do get status matched on AA with upcoming DL medallion status how long does it last on american?

From what I understand the current elite status on American resets at the end of February?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.