Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Matching DM to EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
people keep saying that American Airlines has no F cm. that's simply is not true. the handful of times that I flew AA in coach over the last 2 years, I was offered an inexpensive upgrade at the kiosk. I took it each time and each time at the gate there were people on the standby list for first.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
people keep saying that American Airlines has no F cm. that's simply is not true. the handful of times that I flew AA in coach over the last 2 years, I was offered an inexpensive upgrade at the kiosk. I took it each time and each time at the gate there were people on the standby list for first.
Doesn't seem to be impacting upgrades though.
Besides, the upgrades aren't at TOD levels.
Define 'inexpensive'
What fares are you buying?
If you're flying a L/M fare the buyup to K isn't exactly lots of money (but money I won't pay anyways, besides, >90% of my flying on AA is on NOQ fares)
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:22 pm

I think....THINK it was 60 to BOS....150 to CZM. BIG DIFFERENCE too is only EXP receive complimentary upgrades. I wish DL would do this
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
So?
You can interline/codeshare after the longhaul AA flights.
(Then again NRT-BKK/SGN/KUL/SIN/JKT aren't exactly short flights but JL sake in Y is actually not bad.)
Also, EXP gets access to First Class lounges no matter the cabin class when traveling internationally. Though one might say that *A FCLs are better than OW FCLs, at least they get FCLs that Skyteam doesn't.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I think....THINK it was 60 to BOS....150 to CZM. BIG DIFFERENCE too is only EXP receive complimentary upgrades. I wish DL would do this
Fare class?
(I personally don't care as much about a 2-3 hour flight for an upgrade.)
PLT/GLD upgrades are 'free' as you get stickers from flying.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Confirmed, just talked to them and got the same email.
You seem to be the only one in this thread who is reporting the status match starting in 2013 and especially after DL announced the MQD and 100% MQMs for M changes. Your offer and procedures seem to be the same as those who contacted AA in December requesting a match.

Did you get any sense that AA wants to encourage this even more now, after the DL FF program changes have been announced? If so, I'm surprised that AA would be so willing to chase after customers that are now more likely to be those that DL doesn't want. Maybe it's a sign of desperation.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You seem to be the only one in this thread who is reporting the status match starting in 2013 and especially after DL announced the MQD and 100% MQMs for M changes. Your offer and procedures seem to be the same as those who contacted AA in December requesting a match.

Did you get any sense that AA wants to encourage this even more now, after the DL FF program changes have been announced? If so, I'm surprised that AA would be so willing to chase after customers that are now more likely to be those that DL doesn't want. Maybe it's a sign of desperation.
They are making a profit though so how are they desperate?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:04 am

I think AA is right to want a customer who spends $36K and flies to Europe every month in Premium economy. You seem to be conceding that DL is "smart" to fire that customer?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
They are making a profit though so how are they desperate?
Um yes. 12 flghts in Y (upgradeable if the customer wants) and $36k is a pretty smart business move. Why Delta wants to fire that type of customer is possible one of the biggest airline program blunders in history. If they want to get rid of cheap elites make fare class = lower MQM at THE LOWER CLASSES not the premiums!

Delta is giving AA the keys to the kingdom here because they are FIRING THE WRONG CUSTOMERS. They could not help themselves. The MQD was enough but they had to lower MQM earnings......complete IDIOTS (and so greedy it you can smell it).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by DontYouKnowWhoIAm
Delta is giving AA the keys to the kingdom here because they are FIRING THE WRONG CUSTOMERS. They could not help themselves. The MQD was enough but they had to lower MQM earnings......complete IDIOTS (and so greedy it you can smell it).
This is hilarious! So now there are so many Delta M fare buyers that AA is going to make a killing off of this? Didn't the mob on this board call the Delta SWUs useless because most here couldn't afford or didn't want to pay the M fares in the first place???
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DontYouKnowWhoIAm
I think AA is right to want a customer who spends $36K and flies to Europe every month in Premium economy. You seem to be conceding that DL is "smart" to fire that customer?
Not this particular person, but if they are eager to match DMs to EXP right now, they'll get lots of those who can't qualify under the new MQD requirements, who on average aren't very profitable DMs.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:32 am

What would make AA more interesting to Eastern US travelers who do the majority of their business in Asia is if the rumor about teaming up with EK were true. Flight time would be similar to westward travel, plus I would assume that DXB is a better place to connect than NRT/ICN due to year round sunshine. Add in all of those brand new shiny planes EK has and it's very tempting.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:26 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I am not sure if someone posted the details of their challenge upthread, but mine is not for 25k miles, its for 25k in points. So 25k in points really doesn't let a mileage runner fly 5 $200 Transcons to hit the mileage requirement. I will need to fly some more higher priced fares to hit the 25k points in 3 months.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by DiverDave
If you honestly expect a dramatic reduction in the ranks, you are likely to be disappointed.

And you won't see a reduction until 3/1/2015.

Even mileage runners will have a good shot at retaining status, as voucher spending will count towards the thresholds.
I wouldn't be too sure. The new $$ threshold is only part of the problem. The lowering of already expense M fares to 100% MQM from 150% is immediate and is making this Diamond thinking of jumping ship now.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Deadtail
AA used to be the premier airline in the US. Now all that remains is the silver shell. Pilots are pissed and rejecting planes, calling in sick or showing up late, FA's are pissed and their service is reflecting it.
Have you noticed this on any AA flights in 2013, or are you referring to their labor issues back around October-November? I've done 12 segments the last two weeks and only one flight was really off schedule (struts needing inspection at DFW during maintenance shift change--took an hour delay on departure to LGA). Everything else was on time. If those pilots and flight attendants are still protesting, not very apparent to me.

Should add clearing 12 upgrades in a row is a nice start to 2013.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.