Wiki Posts
Search

AA Matching DM to EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013 | 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Except the upcoming changes only hurt their partnerships, especially ST in Asia.
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Well Delta appears to be lapping its legacy counterparts posting $1.3-1.6 billion profits the past few years so I think they are fine letting the MR DMs go. Thin out the ranks a bit and let Medallion status actually mean something to the people paying for it. Honestly it doesn't seem that there could be that many DMs getting status spending less than 12.5k unless they are doing MRs. Even if you were flying LHR-USA 12 times a year, fares are often around $1,000 so you would pretty much be right there with MQDs. Seems this is targeted at $400 US-Istanbul fares MRers and the rest of the population won't really have any impact at all from this.
During peak periods, $1k is around average...I typically paid $1k or more over last summer and Christmastime...the rest of the time (18 r/t or so from LHR) it was sub $1k. In the winter...it can vary from a $550 cheapo fare to the $800's+ depending on timing and where I'm going.

As a Europe-originating DM, one concern AF/KL spend not going towards MQD. For me, it can be $1500-2000 for intra-Europe travel, but it adds up. If it did not count toward MQD, I'd almost exclusively fly BA within Europe.

DL was consistently cheaper than AA for many ex-LHR fares in 2012...we'll see what 2013 brings and how easily I can use my EVIP upgrade certificates.
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Might want to wait until the whole AA/US merger dust settles and you have a better idea of what the program will look like long term.
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roknroll
Might want to wait until the whole AA/US merger dust settles and you have a better idea of what the program will look like long term.
This is part of why my intent is the remain a DM. Until that potential mess is sorted out...
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 2:14 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Capacity discipline and shrinking are not the same thing. I think they have been doing a pretty good job of cutting excess capacity and forming lucrative partnerships to fill in the gaps. I guess time will tell but it would be pretty ridiculous to have expected DL to try and grow and add capacity in a down economy with the network they already have in place.
Delta has been shrinking domestically for years, well before the current economic downturn. The GFC did manage to wreck the Delta plan to grow internationally.

People on this forum get all puffed up about themselves being a HVC when they fly on a $2000 ticket and laugh at the "kettle" flying in the back on a $200 ticket. In an industry with extremely high fixed costs, that $200 ticket is often the difference between profit and loss. You may laugh and sneer at the $200 ticket, but after all it is Delta that willingly offered it up for sale. I have yet to see anybody walk up to a ticket counter with a gun and force Delta to sell them a cheap ticket.

I will admit, Delta's 3rd quarter profit margin was 7.7% which is pretty darned good for this industry in today's climate. 4th quarter numbers are not out yet.

I will guess that Delta is not as willing to write off their LVCs to the extent that you and others on this forum seem are. I suspect Delta believes that most of them will have nowhere else to go. Delta is quite likely correct.

David
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sandwich, IHG Spire, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I would prefer to wait out the year to see what everyone else is doing and then make my decision. This year most of the old rules apply. I would hate to rush into a status match and then find out the other airline is making major changes.

Originally Posted by ::JUJUBE
For those of you intrigued by the recent turn of events and program changes to skymiles - it seems AA is matching DM to EXP. I've called and verified with the Aadvantage desk. For PM/GM/FO you'll still need to go the traditional challenge route if looking for status. You can request a challenge or match by calling (800) 882-8880

"Thanks for speaking with me about your interest in making American Airlines your first choice in air travel. As we discussed, please send us the following documentation. Simply "Reply" to this message, and for prompt service, do not change the subject line:
Your AAdvantage Number: _________

Your Phone Number: ______________

Date of your next American Airlines flight: _________

Record Locator ("PNR") if available: ______________

An attached copy of your frequent flyer membership card reflecting your name, number and current status level (.pdf, .tif, .jpeg, .bmp formats, not to exceed 1 MB)
-or-
A complete screen shot of your most recent account summary, reflecting your first and last name, frequent flyer number, status level, Qualifying Miles and Qualifying Segments (.pdf, .tif, .jpeg, .bmp formats, not to exceed 1 MB)

Once your documentation is received and accepted, we will contact you. We are eager to earn your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard your next American Airlines flight."
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 2:41 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by rwoman
As a Europe-originating DM, one concern AF/KL spend not going towards MQD. For me, it can be $1500-2000 for intra-Europe travel, but it adds up. If it did not count toward MQD, I'd almost exclusively fly BA within Europe.
But if you're Europe-originating, I presume you will have a non-US address, so the MQD situation wouldn't apply, no? This is precisely the reason why Delta excluded all non-US members as they know that these folks will have a harder time booking DL-coded/marketed flights or getting tickets issued on "006" ticket stock....
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
But if you're Europe-originating, I presume you will have a non-US address, so the MQD situation wouldn't apply, no? This is precisely the reason why Delta excluded all non-US members as they know that these folks will have a harder time booking DL-coded/marketed flights or getting tickets issued on "006" ticket stock....
My residence is a UK address but my US-issued credit cards (including DL AMEX) are tied to my APO (US) address. We'll see what happens. Most of my ST travel is on DL to/from the USA.
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 2:50 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
So glad I'm not hub captive and strangely AA flights seem to be fitting my schedule better lately than DL? If/when the AA bankrupty dust settles this MQM/MQD thing could be the tipping point....

But, no need for knee jerk reaction - it's just a ride on a fast Bus!
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 3:04 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Just got an email from AA advertising the new American Airlines.

A new logo - this is just what they need to save AA.

PASS...The fact that they are matching DMs to EXP shows how tough the situation there is. While I am not an AA fan, there is no disputing that EXP is much more valuable than DM

http://www.aa.com/newamerican
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 3:10 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by DiverDave

I will guess that Delta is not as willing to write off their LVCs to the extent that you and others on this forum seem are. I suspect Delta believes that most of them will have nowhere else to go. Delta is quite likely correct.

David
Obviously business travellers who want non stop and are hub captives will have nowhere else to go. Leisure travellers on the other hand have options, even if they are in a hub. I'm a leisure traveller based in COS, but due to high fares I fly out of DEN about 60-70% of the time. Despite the fact that DEN is a UA hub I choose to fly Delta for various reasons. I'm not on a tight schedule, and don't mind a layover. I suspect many LVC leisure travellers are in the same boat and therefore have many options as far as somewhere else to go when it comes to airlines.
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
When matched to Exp, does one get all the benefits of Exp, including upgrade certificates?
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Just got an email from AA advertising the new American Airlines.

A new logo - this is just what they need to save AA.

PASS...The fact that they are matching DMs to EXP shows how tough the situation there is. While I am not an AA fan, there is no disputing that EXP is much more valuable than DM

http://www.aa.com/newamerican
The new tail design is just awful. I mean, I don't choose my airline based upon the paint job, but that is just an awful paint job.
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rwoman
This is part of why my intent is the remain a DM. Until that potential mess is sorted out...
At this point it is sort of a pick your poison. UA has it's share of problems, AA is an unknown, and now DL is changing with a lot of unknown. There seems to be a crazy love triangle of status matches of people jumping from one airline to the other all across the airlines. I think it's smart to just stick with what you have and wait until the dust settles a bit.
Old Jan 17, 2013 | 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vgb2001
When matched to Exp, does one get all the benefits of Exp, including upgrade certificates?
Someone I know who matched from DM to EXP last year had to fly a certain number of miles before being given the 8x EVIP...I do not remember how many miles (or points) it took to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.