AA Matching DM to EXP

Old Jan 17, 13, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post
The new tail design is just awful. I mean, I don't choose my airline based upon the paint job, but that is just an awful paint job.
Just saw that on TV, holy cow! What an an UGLY paint job for an airplane, IMO....
Old Jan 17, 13, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
AA has a dreadful international hard product.
Old Jan 17, 13, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Ti22 View Post
Just saw that on TV, holy cow! What an an UGLY paint job for an airplane, IMO....
I threw up a little when I saw it. It is offensively bad design in my opinion.
Old Jan 17, 13, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Deadtail View Post
Agreed, but they are in the process of improving that. New 777-300ERs have J class with lie-flats that will be on a few routes, and they have better partners than DL when it comes to using miles (CX for one).
Old Jan 17, 13, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Deadtail View Post
I wouldn't say "dreadful", but it does not compare well to DL's lie-flats. I'd put it a notch ahead of the angled-flats in the A330's, and well ahead of the cradle seats DL still has on at least some of the 767s and 757s. The nice thing about AA is that the seats are consistent across the fleet. No guessing or getting screwed by equipment changes. In addition, AA also has F on its 777s, where the seats hands down beat anything in the DL fleet. If you buy into J it's a fairly easy upgrade to F. And AA will leapfrog DL when it starts rolling out its new J and F seats. DL's business class pillows are way better than AA's, or anyone else's for that matter.

As an AA EXP I'm not excited to see it given away like this, especially after the deluge of UA refugees last year. But I would be surprised if there were many DL takers. EXP is much more of a lateral move from DM than it was from 1K. Upgrade rates, CS and treatment in IROPs is probably equivalent. The AA SWUs kill DL's, the domestic F experience is more "first class", the lounges are better, and the companion upgrade program works like it should. DL has a better international network.
Old Jan 17, 13, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
And AA will leapfrog DL when it starts rolling out its new J and F seats.
You mean when they ditch F from all but the 77Ws and install the same J seat DL has on their 747s and will install on their A330s? I would also not be terribly surprised to see DL start to think about replacing their 777 seats at some point given that the product will be 6 years old by the time AA gets their first refurbed 777 off the ground.

I think that AA is going with a good product, but it will be 2014 before they refurb the first of their existing fleet, by which time DL will have all flat beds. I think the criticisms of AA's lagging product remain on point for at least the next few years.
Old Jan 17, 13, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.764MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
Agreed, but they are in the process of improving that. New 777-300ERs have J class with lie-flats that will be on a few routes, and they have better partners than DL when it comes to using miles (CX for one).
The AA 773s will be 10 across in Y, which will be wretched.

But in any case, life as an AA EXP is well above life as a Delta DM.

David
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post
I was right there with you

Interesting they seem to be wanting us now!
Yeah, at that point I had lots of rollover and was seriously thinking about giving AA a try, but I was unimpressed that night by the seeming indifference of AAdvantage executives. It was nice that they were a sponsor and I don't want to bite the hand that feeds, but that was my subjective impression.

It didn't help that in a later personal conversation an AAdvantage person fauned over the people with me and rudely ignored me, to the point that I was tempted to say "excuse me, you've introduced yourself to everyone here but me and perhaps you should know that I fly on airplanes too, in fact, a lot."
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:03 pm

Delete
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by pbarnette View Post
I threw up a little when I saw it. It is offensively bad design in my opinion.
Threw up, seriously? It's a few red, white and blue painted lines. Or are you "attempt[ing] to crank the hyperbole up to 11", to borrow your words from another thread?
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler View Post
Well Delta appears to be lapping its legacy counterparts posting $1.3-1.6 billion profits the past few years so I think they are fine letting the MR DMs go. Thin out the ranks a bit and let Medallion status actually mean something to the people paying for it. Honestly it doesn't seem that there could be that many DMs getting status spending less than 12.5k unless they are doing MRs. Even if you were flying LHR-USA 12 times a year, fares are often around $1,000 so you would pretty much be right there with MQDs. Seems this is targeted at $400 US-Istanbul fares MRers and the rest of the population won't really have any impact at all from this.
No, as a PROMOJP ticket buyer and fuel dumper I am equally hurt by this.
(I bought 8 TATL flights, of these I have flown 3, and 4 flights within Europe, of which I have flown 1)
I was thinking about having status in 2015 on all 3 alliances, but I'll scrap that.
(I'll maintain A3 status for my occasional AC/UA unavoidable domestic/transborder that WS doesn't serve and AA status for work travel)
DL does have a solid BE product for SFO-JFK that I like though and SFO-ATL usually has good crew service with a widebody.
(I got upgraded as an AR elite as my SFO-JFK segment was on a Wednesday)
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer View Post
Threw up, seriously? It's a few red, white and blue painted lines. Or are you "attempt[ing] to crank the hyperbole up to 11", to borrow your words from another thread?
I take my design seriously.

But hopefully it was clear that I was joking about throwing up.
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
The AA 773s will be 10 across in Y, which will be wretched.

But in any case, life as an AA EXP is well above life as a Delta DM.

David
That's what eVIPs are for.
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:11 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL PM, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ RR G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I agree - As Gary put it, if only they added the any fare SWUs, it makes sense to go after the truly loyal and thin the elite ranks (spoken as a cheap armchair elite - Proud Amex Card member)
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to AA new EXPs in advance.
Just don't take my upgrades and you're welcome to stay.
(That being said I doubt there are lots of DMs in YVR, though there might be more out of SEA)

Search this Thread