Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kop84
Such a long flight? You said you were on BWI-MSP, that's like a 2.5 hour flight, unless you had to make a tech stop in ANC or something
I've flown ATL>JAN like 30 times this year. BWI>MSP is long for me!

I should have taken a picture of the security briefing card folded into the IFE, but I was trying not to be too obvious.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Such a long flight? You said you were on BWI-MSP, that's like a 2.5 hour flight, unless you had to make a tech stop in ANC or something
As a Diamond, never had to spend that much time on a flight with an open window? Man, that's a lot of Delta Shuttle flights
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by bergamini
I've flown ATL>JAN like 30 times this year. BWI>MSP is long for me!

I should have taken a picture of the security briefing card folded into the IFE, but I was trying not to be too obvious.
You should have suggested he drape the blanket over his head, I've seen that one a few times...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Talking

OK, this could almost go in pathetic rants forum because the main issue was that it just annoyed me, but I'll put it here because he pulled Diamond rank.

Was on BWI>MSP last Friday and I sat in 3A on a 738. I always take a window seat if I can because I like to look out on the clouds as I enjoy a cocktail. For this client I get to buy A/I/G fares because of rapid changes and SDC feature, so I usually get a good seat before the upgrades process. Depature time was ~ 6:00 PM and it's 9/1 so sun was not blazing.

I'm about 4th to board and the guy in 3B was ahead of me and was taking literally a minute to put his backpack up and position the straps and everything just so, never mind the 150 people waiting to board behind him. It was kind of ridiculous. Clearly an OCD type guy.

Anyway, my seat has 2 windows. Before take off he has already put up a magazine in front of his face to block the sun (which was not at all oppressive, most of Y and 1/3 of F windows were open). I'm trying to be nice so I close the forward window and pull down the one next to me a bit, but I still want to see out.

We take off and he asks me when I'm going to close my window. I said I liked to look out and relax so I wouldn't be. He then got upset and called the FA over. Said he was a Diamond and never had to deal with an open window on such a long flight. FA was professional and said it was my call. I simply pointed out that I've already closed one fully and the other by 1/3. He then gets huffy, slams the magazine down, finds an even bigger magazine to prop up and then takes the seat back card and bends over the edges and slides it into the IFE to make a second "sun block". I mean, this is ridiculous and he's ruined the security briefing card by folding it. It was almost fully dusk out for most of the flight.

I realize it's a luxury that I get to buy paid A/I/G fares, and it's mainly for the SDC feature that I can, but if you have that much of an aversion to sun then you need to get window seats and uncheck the upgrade box so you can control the windows for your row -- the app showed that he was a gate upgrade. I tried to meet halfway. I dunno, it was just awkward sitting next to his magazine and security card propped into the IFE for the whole flight. How about some sunglasses if you hate the sun?

Pardon the wording on my SnapChat. I'd had some Prosecco and after a long week resented the tension on our flight because I wanted to look at some clouds on a 2/3 open window.
This is hilarious. I would have been tempted to open the window more, but maybe his tat was of something scary?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is my reaction too: How can someone be a DM and consider BWI-MSP to be a long flight? Even if he does short flights for business travel, doesn't the guy ever travel abroad?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Pick a window seat next time... problem solved.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I agree. I was on a LAX-MCO red-eye back in May and was given the last UG at the gate for 5D and my seat mate (who was probably on a paid F ticket as 5C had been taken since I had booked my ticket about a month prior) slept the whole flight and I had to get up and use the lav twice and the second time he grudges and got up but I cold tell he wasn't happy. If you want to sleep and not have to worry about having to let someone out of their seat than select a window seat.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
He was one of 3 gate RU's to F so didn't have a choice on seat, but if not seeing the sun is so important to him then he has to uncheck that box next to upgrade requested to first and accept a coach window.

His biceps were formidable but he wasn't too much bigger than me so I wasn't too scared haha
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
He could also bring his own tightly fitting eyeshades.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
He could also bring his own tightly fitting eyeshades.
Exactly- as far as upgrades. I find on most of my segments that aisles sell way more than windows.

Booking a window and unchecking a box... Even an FO could grasp that concept...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Agree with overall sentiment. DM in this case was being childish.

However 1)on most flights I find the FAs will ask that shades be closed if asked by another passenger or will ask for it right after service and 2)there's people that physically can't sit in the window seat due to leg issues or need to get up on a dime to use lav frequently.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However 1)on most flights I find the FAs will ask that shades be closed if asked by another passenger or will ask for it right after service
Eye shades/masks are very helpful with that...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:59 am

OK, this could almost go in pathetic rants forum because the main issue was that it just annoyed me, but I'll put it here because he pulled Diamond rank.

Was on BWI>MSP last Friday and I sat in 3A on a 738. I always take a window seat if I can because I like to look out on the clouds as I enjoy a cocktail. For this client I get to buy A/I/G fares because of rapid changes and SDC feature, so I usually get a good seat before the upgrades process. Depature time was ~ 6:00 PM and it's 9/1 so sun was not blazing.

I'm about 4th to board and the guy in 3B was ahead of me and was taking literally a minute to put his backpack up and position the straps and everything just so, never mind the 150 people waiting to board behind him. It was kind of ridiculous. Clearly an OCD type guy.

Anyway, my seat has 2 windows. Before take off he has already put up a magazine in front of his face to block the sun (which was not at all oppressive, most of Y and 1/3 of F windows were open). I'm trying to be nice so I close the forward window and pull down the one next to me a bit, but I still want to see out.

We take off and he asks me when I'm going to close my window. I said I liked to look out and relax so I wouldn't be. He then got upset and called the FA over. Said he was a Diamond and never had to deal with an open window on such a long flight. FA was professional and said it was my call. I simply pointed out that I've already closed one fully and the other by 1/3. He then gets huffy, slams the magazine down, finds an even bigger magazine to prop up and then takes the seat back card and bends over the edges and slides it into the IFE to make a second "sun block". I mean, this is ridiculous and he's ruined the security briefing card by folding it. It was almost fully dusk out for most of the flight.

I realize it's a luxury that I get to buy paid A/I/G fares, and it's mainly for the SDC feature that I can, but if you have that much of an aversion to sun then you need to get window seats and uncheck the upgrade box so you can control the windows for your row -- the app showed that he was a gate upgrade. I tried to meet halfway. I dunno, it was just awkward sitting next to his magazine and security card propped into the IFE for the whole flight. How about some sunglasses if you hate the sun?

Pardon the wording on my SnapChat. I'd had some Prosecco and after a long week resented the tension on our flight because I wanted to look at some clouds on a 2/3 open window.
If he was being that big of an A$$ I think I might have had to get up to use the facilities at least twice on "that long of a flight"
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Exactly- as far as upgrades. I find on most of my segments that aisles sell way more than windows.

Booking a window and unchecking a box... Even an FO could grasp that concept...
I'm someone that gets up a lot to use the lav and I hate asking my seatmate to get up so always try for an aisle and will ask the GA if they will clear me into an aisle or bulkhead window if available when they clear the list and they always grant the request. If the window shade contorl was that important he should have asked the GA to clear him into a window seat and it probably wouldn't have been a problem seeing there are always more window than aisle seats that are vacant before the upgrade list is cleared on any flight I've been on.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I had an encounter twice with one last week on my DTW/ATL flight.

There was only one agent at the North SC at the desk when I walked in and there was a couple trying to check in and the wife was complaining they wouldn't admit them for free on a first class ticket. She was insisting Delta's website told them when they booked the ticket that first class gave them Skyclub access and that they paid a lot of money to ride in first class and that should include access and the agent told them if they were flying international it would but doesn't apply to domestic and then the husband chimed in and said they fly Alaska a lot and their first class ticket always gets them access to their lounges on domestics (not sure if that's true or not). They left and the wife made a comment to her husband loud enough so the agent could hear that that wasn't how you treat your first class customers and it's too bad they couldn't fly Alaska for this trip.

I go to the gate and the couple is there. I was number six on the upgrade list as a DM with zero seats on a fairly high fare so not sure how many other diamonds were on the flight but when the GA called PREM I boarded right away since I had a bulkhead C+ seat and wanted the bin space.

As we were boarding I heard her say something to her husband about there being a lot more than 20 people in line to board and there were only 20 seats in first class on that plane and then heard her complain when they got on board that the gate agent wasn't doing their job because some people that boarded before them with the PREM zone were in coach and how it wasn't right for those people who paid for first class (not sure how diamonds boarding with First is dimishing the price of their ticket).

Apparently they don't fly Delta. If they were connecting I wonder if they tried getting in an Atlanta skyclub. We landed at B and my connection was out of B so I used the B skyclub and didn't see them there trying to get in and they got off the plane befor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.