Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by alpinecow
Always someone eager to blame the victim

Congrats on your routing success. Thank you for advising me on how I should change my personality. Are you sure you're not one of my employees?

Any empathy I possess evaporates at the point at which a GA/check-in agent screws up the most basic aspects of his/her job and offers no redress, in one case costing me a Saturday with my family and in the other case costing me a couple thousand bucks in hotel, etc.

Those are inexcusable customer service failures.
when a response to a post includes the words "me thinks" there's an excellent chance that you're about to be treated to a pompous lecture
pvn and DeltaDunce like this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by synergistic
Only tangentially related:

I once was stuck in MCO all day, and spent most of it in the Sky Club. I'm a smoker, though, and as the day wore on, I took several trips landside to have a cigarette. My tipsy brain didn't think much of it, but my repeated bookings and and cancellations of WN flights to get me back through security apparently alarmed the TSA agent who checked my ID multiple times, and he made me stand to the side while he called in a supervisor. I probably shouldn't have actually explained what I was doing, but I wasn't entirely on my game at that point ;-)

Fortunately, I wasn't drunk enough to make the situation even worse, and I was allowed to leave fairly quickly without the police being called in. I immediately went to the DL ticketing desk, explained the situation, and was given a gate pass to visit the club. I took perhaps a little too much glee returning to the same TSA agent for my ID checks from then on.

WN did punish me by failing to automatically refund a couple of those reservations, which took an asininely long phone call to resolve.
Why did you need to keep getting more boarding passes? If you have a flight in the evening, you can use that boarding pass as often as necessary (especially if it's on your phone). If it's paper and they scribble on it, a kiosk will reprint it if you want a clean one.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Why did you need to keep getting more boarding passes? If you have a flight in the evening, you can use that boarding pass as often as necessary (especially if it's on your phone). If it's paper and they scribble on it, a kiosk will reprint it if you want a clean one.
Even one from earlier in day will work. Just need a same day BP.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A same day boarding pass arriving into the airport is also supposed to work, but they won't honor PreCheck on it IME.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A same day boarding pass arriving into the airport is also supposed to work, but they won't honor PreCheck on it IME.
DL only has one flight per day JFK-TLV and as I don't like to risk missing it because of a delay in my first segment (I usually fly ATL-JFK-TLV) I make reservations for at least a 3 hour connection in JFK. This means I arrive in plenty of time for several cigarettes and go in and out of airside a number of times. I have always used the same boarding pass and never had a problem getting PreCheck for each entry.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dovster
DL only has one flight per day JFK-TLV and as I don't like to risk missing it because of a delay in my first segment (I usually fly ATL-JFK-TLV) I make reservations for at least a 3 hour connection in JFK. This means I arrive in plenty of time for several cigarettes and go in and out of airside a number of times. I have always used the same boarding pass and never had a problem getting PreCheck for each entry.
I assume you're using your departing boarding pass for JFK to either ATKL or TLV, depending on the direction, to go through TSA at JFK. In that case, of course you get PreCheck if the boarding pass says PreCheck.

I'm talking about the situation where you are flying XXX to YYY only and after arrival at YYY, you go landside but then want to go back airside again for whatever reason. You can do so, using the same day arrival boarding pass from XXX to YYY. However, even if it says PreCheck and you had PreCheck at XXX, you will not get PreCheck at YYY in this case.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by sethb
TBH, I had no intention of being stuck there as long as I was - the ride I was anticipating ended up heavily delayed getting into MCO, so I'd initially picked an earlyish flight and just moved it back several times as the day wore on. My logic circuit clearly wasn't operating at peak that day...

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Even one from earlier in day will work. Just need a same day BP.
THIS I feel l like I should have known! Would have saved me from the extended calls with WN to get refunded, at least. I'm not sure it would have helped with the TSA agent, really, my tipsy soul just shouldn't have said a darned thing about gaming the free cancellation process just to get to the lounge.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I assume you're using your departing boarding pass for JFK to either ATKL or TLV, depending on the direction, to go through TSA at JFK. In that case, of course you get PreCheck if the boarding pass says PreCheck.
You're right but in one case I was flying TLV-ATL-LAS and mistakenly showed my ATL-LAS boarding pass at JFK and they still allowed me through PreCheck.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
You're right but in one case I was flying TLV-ATL-LAS and mistakenly showed my ATL-LAS boarding pass at JFK and they still allowed me through PreCheck.
If I understand correctly, you were going through TSA PreCheck before taking some of your flights that day. That's a different scenario than the one I'm discussing where you've finished your flying for that day but want to return airside for some reason.

Showing a later boarding pass for the day shouldn't matter as one tends to get PreCheck for all of the segments in the same direction (with participating airlines) or not. However, in an ideal world the TSA document checker should have noticed the wrong airport on the boarding pass in an abundance of caution etc. and demanded the correct one. AFAIK having a boarding pass doesn't give one access to *any* airport that day.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by synergistic
Only tangentially related:

I once was stuck in MCO all day, and spent most of it in the Sky Club. I'm a smoker, though, and as the day wore on, I took several trips landside to have a cigarette. My tipsy brain didn't think much of it, but my repeated bookings and and cancellations of WN flights to get me back through security apparently alarmed the TSA agent who checked my ID multiple times, and he made me stand to the side while he called in a supervisor. I probably shouldn't have actually explained what I was doing, but I wasn't entirely on my game at that point ;-)

Fortunately, I wasn't drunk enough to make the situation even worse, and I was allowed to leave fairly quickly without the police being called in. I immediately went to the DL ticketing desk, explained the situation, and was given a gate pass to visit the club. I took perhaps a little too much glee returning to the same TSA agent for my ID checks from then on.

WN did punish me by failing to automatically refund a couple of those reservations, which took an asininely long phone call to resolve.
Sounds like a pretty easy punishment. Most CoCs state that booking at ticket with no intention to actually travel is a violation - you're lucky they didn't just blacklist you.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange
Sounds like a pretty easy punishment. Most CoCs state that booking at ticket with no intention to actually travel is a violation - you're lucky they didn't just blacklist you.
While I know this (and tend to agree, because speculative bookings seem like the most likely reason for ending supurb cancellation policies) I am talking about flights still selling for ~$50 on day of travel. Rightly or wrongly, my guilt level is pretty low when dealing with very lightly booked flights.

In any event, I was glad to discover that DL agents were happy to just give me a gate pass when I find myself in that situation. I'm hoping AS/AA have similar policies, as I've recently allowed my Skyclub membership to expire.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
However, in an ideal world the TSA document checker should have noticed the wrong airport on the boarding pass in an abundance of caution etc. and demanded the correct one. AFAIK having a boarding pass doesn't give one access to *any* airport that day.
I often use a DL boarding pass to enter T3 (Untied) at SFO (to get to the Centurion Lounge). Sometimes the checker notices.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
OK, this could almost go in pathetic rants forum because the main issue was that it just annoyed me, but I'll put it here because he pulled Diamond rank.

Was on BWI>MSP last Friday and I sat in 3A on a 738. I always take a window seat if I can because I like to look out on the clouds as I enjoy a cocktail. For this client I get to buy A/I/G fares because of rapid changes and SDC feature, so I usually get a good seat before the upgrades process. Depature time was ~ 6:00 PM and it's 9/1 so sun was not blazing.

I'm about 4th to board and the guy in 3B was ahead of me and was taking literally a minute to put his backpack up and position the straps and everything just so, never mind the 150 people waiting to board behind him. It was kind of ridiculous. Clearly an OCD type guy.

Anyway, my seat has 2 windows. Before take off he has already put up a magazine in front of his face to block the sun (which was not at all oppressive, most of Y and 1/3 of F windows were open). I'm trying to be nice so I close the forward window and pull down the one next to me a bit, but I still want to see out.

We take off and he asks me when I'm going to close my window. I said I liked to look out and relax so I wouldn't be. He then got upset and called the FA over. Said he was a Diamond and never had to deal with an open window on such a long flight. FA was professional and said it was my call. I simply pointed out that I've already closed one fully and the other by 1/3. He then gets huffy, slams the magazine down, finds an even bigger magazine to prop up and then takes the seat back card and bends over the edges and slides it into the IFE to make a second "sun block". I mean, this is ridiculous and he's ruined the security briefing card by folding it. It was almost fully dusk out for most of the flight.

I realize it's a luxury that I get to buy paid A/I/G fares, and it's mainly for the SDC feature that I can, but if you have that much of an aversion to sun then you need to get window seats and uncheck the upgrade box so you can control the windows for your row -- the app showed that he was a gate upgrade. I tried to meet halfway. I dunno, it was just awkward sitting next to his magazine and security card propped into the IFE for the whole flight. How about some sunglasses if you hate the sun?

Pardon the wording on my SnapChat. I'd had some Prosecco and after a long week resented the tension on our flight because I wanted to look at some clouds on a 2/3 open window.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bergamini; Sep 6, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by bergamini
OK, this could almost go in pathetic rants forum because the main issue was that it just annoyed me, but I'll put it here because he pulled Diamond rank.

Was on BWI>MSP last Friday and I sat in 3A on a 738. I always take a window seat if I can because I like to look out on the clouds as I enjoy a cocktail. For this client I get to buy A/I/G fares because of rapid changes and SDC feature, so I usually get a good seat before the upgrades process.
Depature time was ~ 6:00 PM and it's 9/1 so sun was not blazing.

I'm about 4th to board and the guy in 3B was ahead of me and was taking literally a minute to put his backpack up and position the straps and everything just so, never mind the 150 people waiting to board behind him. It was kind of ridiculous. Clearly an OCD type guy.

Anyway, my seat has 2 windows. Before take off he has already put up a magazine in front of his face to block the sun (which was not at all oppressive, most of Y and 1/3 of F windows were open). I'm trying to be nice so I close the forward window and pull down the one next to me a bit, but I still want to see out.

We take off and he asks me when I'm going to close my window. I said I liked to look out and relax so I wouldn't be. He then got upset and called the FA over. Said he was a Diamond and never had to deal with an open window on such a long flight. FA was professional and said it was my call. I simply pointed out that I've already closed one fully and the other by 1/3. He then gets huffy, slams the magazine down, finds an even bigger magazine to prop up and then takes the seat back card and bends over the edges and slides it into the IFE to make a second "sun block". I mean, this is ridiculous and he's ruined the security briefing card by folding it. It was almost fully dusk out for most of the flight.

I realize it's a luxury that I get to buy paid A/I/G fares, and it's mainly for the SDC feature that I can, but if you have that much of an aversion to sun then you need to get window seats and uncheck the upgrade box so you can control the windows for your row -- the app showed that he was a gate upgrade. I tried to meet halfway. I dunno, it was just awkward sitting next to his magazine and security card propped into the IFE for the whole flight. How about some sunglasses if you hate the sun?

Pardon the wording on my SnapChat. I'd had some Prosecco and after a long week resented the tension on our flight because I wanted to look at some clouds on a 2/3 open window.
Such a long flight? You said you were on BWI-MSP, that's like a 2.5 hour flight, unless you had to make a tech stop in ANC or something
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
"Here sir, let me introduce you to this new invention called sunglasses."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.