Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Flying intra-china mostly on MU, I cannot recall a single flight where most passengers didn't stand up during taxi. But pilots were busy smoking one last cigarette before arriving to the gate, so they didn't worry about it.
If I ever take any Chinese airline flight, I'm gonna try to see if I can go up and smoke with them. I promise that.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
If I ever take any Chinese airline flight, I'm gonna try to see if I can go up and smoke with them. I promise that.
So glad that DL and KE finally worked out their issues. A JV with a Chinese airline was never going to work. DL should have known that from the beginning.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's funny how the stand up and try to leave as soon as wheels touch the ground custom is route (or passenger national origin) dependent. IME the worst are the Chinese flights, with SVO and TLV being bad too. Of the Chinese flights, it's worse on Chinese carriers or on their domestic flights. I don't know whether CZ versus MU makes a difference, but CZ in principle should be somewhat more focused on southern China and especially CAN versus PVG/PEK.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
2009, flying Guilan to Shenzen on China Southern. A long delay meant I was pretty drunk (ok, VERY drunk) when we boarded. You could smoke in terminal then and I thought it would be a good idea to finish my cigarette while boarding the plane.

Only upon getting to my seat did the FA come by and ask me not to smoke once we're in the air.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by injera
2009, flying Guilan to Shenzen on China Southern. A long delay meant I was pretty drunk (ok, VERY drunk) when we boarded. You could smoke in terminal then and I thought it would be a good idea to finish my cigarette while boarding the plane.

Only upon getting to my seat did the FA come by and ask me not to smoke once we're in the air.
Once we're in the air. LOL
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by WWads
So glad that DL and KE finally worked out their issues. A JV with a Chinese airline was never going to work. DL should have known that from the beginning.
I don't think DL was willing to just write off a billion people with much stronger economic centers than the other country DL wrote off a billion people already lost to the ME3 carriers.

Buying a piece of MU keeps the options open in the future without looking like they're just there once the party is in full swing.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:18 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I thought FlyerTalk had a smoking ban?!?

Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I was on a flight a few years ago which had a several middle-aged Japanese passengers who didn't appear to speak English seated a few rows ahead of me. There were no announcements in Japanese.

Upon landing, the plane came to a halt well before the gate. The pilot requested in English that everyone stay seated. As I feared, the Japanese folks rose en masse. So I called out in Japanese asking them to remain seated. Some of them started to sit down but looked back in bewilderment -- I really don't look like the typical Japanese speaker. Then a flight attendant arrived.
What, pray tell, does the "typical Japanese speaker" look like?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by stencil
Don't get your knickers in a twist. Maybe someone with Asian features, not European?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:56 am

I was going to say Jackie Chan, but I won't.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's this newish forum called something like The Smoking Lounge about where smoking is permitted while traveling. Dovster participates there and IIRC was one of the people lobbying for TB to create the forum.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:00 pm

Deleted. Wrong forum.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Asian. I'm Caucasian, as were the folks around me.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by zitsky
Don't get your knickers in a twist. Maybe someone with Asian features, not European?
I speak Japanese. I'm Jewish of central European descent. I've been to Japan several dozen times. I've yet to meet a "typical Japanese speaker" act surprised when I speak Japanese. But that's just me. Maybe you got some レッドネック on that flight.

In other news: "I have nipples, Greg. Can you milk me?"
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Regardless . . . . Ya gotta LUV this line . . . . . . . .

Originally Posted by zitsky
Don't get your knickers in a twist.
Or, is it more politically correct to say IRREGARDLESS?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.