Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
maybe you should get better at writing it. To be recognizable, there has to be some difference between the sarcasm and the actual, sincere postings.
You might have a point, upon further reflection.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by fastflyer
In the last several weeks, the queues have been orderly and the situation much improved.
That's my experience as well. I departed from a gate the other day in ATL where the PREM lane was by itself with the SP and Zone gates facing it, and it made for a very orderly boarding process.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta PM
I think this qualifies to be in this thread. I almost forgot about it until I read David’s story above (great first post btw& welcome!)

We recently did a two week Australia vacation. Upon landing in Sydney we had to catch a Virgin AU flight to Brisbane. Even though it was completely excessive, I used miles to book business class even for the short intra AU hops. So we get to the gate and VA has a separate Business Class line away from everything else (which I thought was pretty nice). They make the announcement that boarding will commence shortly, beginning with business class, so my wife & make our way up to the line when a woman completely cuts us off to be first in line. No big deal, we weren’t in a rush and were pretty hazy from all our previous flights (BOS-LAX, LAX-SYD). Anyway she gives the GA her BP, the GA lets her know this is the business class line and she’s not in business class. The woman starts huffing and puffing, in an extremely loud manner, turns around, points at me, and says “Is HE in business class?” My wife and I burst out laughing. I know we didn’t look the best due to the long travel but I just couldn’t figure out how or why that mattered to her. In any event I said “As a matter of fact, yes we are in business class. We might not look like it because we’ve been traveling for 30 hours but we are, not that it’s any of your business.” At this point she stormed off and we never did see her board the plane. We still are LOL’ing and scratching our heads about that one.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
....she gives the GA her BP, the GA lets her know this is the business class line and she’s not in business class....
I wish there was a *like* button. :-:
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Weean
I narrowly avoided a DYKWIA moment recently at BRS (Bristol, England) during check-in (ok, I was on KLM, but the guy in front of me was feeding onto a flight to JFK, potentially on DL). There was a big crowd of people who obviously knew each other, looked like a tour of some kind, taking up both the regular and Sky Priority lines. I thought about asking the guy in front of me if he was in the right line, but decided against it as I had plenty of time before my flight, and the lounge at BRS isn't that great anyway.

As I slowly began to wake up, I noticed that all the guys in the economy line had lanyards and tags with the name of a Grammy-winning artist on their bags. They were his band. Then I noticed all the gold jewellery on the guy in front. It was the artist that the band in economy supported, flying back to the US after having played Glastonbury festival the day before. That could have been very embarrassing for me!

I never saw him in the lounge, I'm not sure if he was hanging with his band, or went to the other one.
Shaggy?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
<removed>
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Weean
I narrowly avoided a DYKWIA moment recently at BRS (Bristol, England) during check-in (ok, I was on KLM, but the guy in front of me was feeding onto a flight to JFK, potentially on DL). There was a big crowd of people who obviously knew each other, looked like a tour of some kind, taking up both the regular and Sky Priority lines. I thought about asking the guy in front of me if he was in the right line, but decided against it as I had plenty of time before my flight, and the lounge at BRS isn't that great anyway.

As I slowly began to wake up, I noticed that all the guys in the economy line had lanyards and tags with the name of a Grammy-winning artist on their bags. They were his band. Then I noticed all the gold jewellery on the guy in front. It was the artist that the band in economy supported, flying back to the US after having played Glastonbury festival the day before. That could have been very embarrassing for me!

I never saw him in the lounge, I'm not sure if he was hanging with his band, or went to the other one.
the 8
Wait what? they have a lounge in Bristol? Lived there in the 80s and the airport was a shed on a runway!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dovster
As an FO I was upgraded ATL-CDG, which I consider a true miracle as while I was on Delta metal I was flying on an Air France ticket. Obviously, this was an ops up, but to this day I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a higher ranking elite -- either Delta or AF -- on the flight.
Did you flirt with the GA?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you flirt with the GA?
No, but I think I almost gave her a heart attack when she told me that I am being given a window seat and I turned down the upgrade (I always sit on the aisle). Luckily, there were two aisle seats available and she gave me my choice.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, but I think I almost gave her a heart attack when she told me that I am being given a window seat and I turned down the upgrade (I always sit on the aisle). Luckily, there were two aisle seats available and she gave me my choice.
You were very very lucky that day.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I have a friend who doesn't even know what status is, who got op-upgraded once with AF to business class on a 747 some number of years ago . AF is now his favorite airline .
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I mostly fly AA, but when I fly DL I buy the (heavily) discounted F fares that are often cheaper than AA coach fares.

Until DL installed the stanchions for queued group boarding, F boarding at Atlanta was atrocious. There would often be a scrum of pax that blocked the boarding line. Many, many times in ATL, I would have to navigate this group -- usually angry, older men who seemed to want to prevent F pax from boarding in the correct group.

I was grabbed by the arm, shouted at, cursed, etc. Every single time, the offending party would be in coach. I don't know what it is about ATL -- this very rarely happened to me anywhere else. Flying DL from ATL, however, this was a persistent problem.

I am thankful that DL finally addressed this issue with the boarding signs and stanchions. In the last several weeks, the queues have been orderly and the situation much improved.
I've had the random experiences with DL where people don't move out of the way when PREM or D1 boarding is called, but my worst experience was with UA. They called FC (and maybe 1K or whatever at the same time) at ORD and people between me and the podium weren't moving so I said "excuse me" and moved forward. Some <description deleted by me> got upset that I wan't respecting his status enough (my FC boarding pass said *Silver in big letters and I guess he saw that). He made a loud fuss which made me fear that as the lower tier elite, I would be the one kicked off the flight. He also shoved me with his luggage deliberately which not only hurt but also gave me a bad bruise. He was muttering something about top tier elites boarding first, but I had a paid (cheap) FC ticket and the GA had clearly called FC.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:09 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I don't understand, excepting the 757, all D1 window seats are also aisle seats.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
I don't understand, excepting the 757, all D1 window seats are also aisle seats.
You have to realize it's Dovster and that he was on one of these:
Name:  IMG_5833.JPG
Views: 1458
Size:  43.8 KB

Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by C W
This was not true 15 years ago, when Biz Elite was a 2-2-2 configuration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.