Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Spanish
Plenty of white Spanish people. I having blond hair and blue eyes and plenty white.^
Excuse me, but Spain is part of Europe and most people whose ancestors came from Spain are Caucasian. So most Spanish people are "white" and exceptions would be somewhat rare, I would guess mainly of North African descent from the Moorish period.

At times, it's very fashionable for women in Spain to color their hair blond. While I can think of Spanish people I know with blue eyes, it's easy to get blue contact lenses to fake it too.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:22 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by zitsky
Back in college, I was in Mexico waiting for a bus when someone starting talking to me in Spanish. I could only speak a little bit, having wasted my high school years with German. I am white with brown hair and green eyes, pretty light skin.
Okay . . . . I'll bite . . . .

When one is in Mexico, in what language would one usually expect to be spoken to?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
Okay . . . . I'll bite . . . .

When one is in Mexico, in what language would one usually expect to be spoken to?
Geez, Mexican!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
Geez, Mexican!
No, Mexico is part of Latin America so that they would speak Latin.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Just a quick note to say THANKS!!!!!

I was going to catch up on the Wiki bit, but I ended up reading the last 3 pages of this thread. The series of posts were hilarious. LMAO.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM
It's like those French have a different word for everything!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by spamkiller
No, Mexico is part of Latin America so that they would speak Latin.
But first it was it's own empire, so I'd guess Mayan.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Ok, I was going to say I regretted triggering this massive off-topic sequence, but now...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I love coming in here and finding five pages worth of discussions about the finer points of ethnic division. Come on people, talk about something interesting and on-topic please.

On-topic as to not be a hypocrite: we had an older couple in front of us at the gate for our flight from CDG to AMS as well as a massive line of other people ready to board when a family came crashing through trying to shove to the front of the line, yelling something about having a Delta credit card. Angry and confused looks all around. Eventually they simply got to a point where people refused to move and just loudly talked outrage to themselves until they could finally board.

Some people...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:38 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
There seems to be enuf of 'em, so, maybe we need a separate thread for Delta Credit Card DYKWIA's.

Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by caliform
I love coming in here and finding five pages worth of discussions about the finer points of ethnic division. Come on people, talk about something interesting and on-topic please.

On-topic as to not be a hypocrite: we had an older couple in front of us at the gate for our flight from CDG to AMS as well as a massive line of other people ready to board when a family came crashing through trying to shove to the front of the line, yelling something about having a Delta credit card. Angry and confused looks all around. Eventually they simply got to a point where people refused to move and just loudly talked outrage to themselves until they could finally board.

Some people...
Risky thing to try at CDG. The French don't take crap like that.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:05 am

Self reporting a DYKWIA story:

So I was about to board a CRJ-200, and though I was carrying my bag, the GA noticed the wheels and wanted me to gate check it. I had a tightish connection and didn't want to chance it, so I attempted to decline. She was insistent that it wouldn't fit because it had wheels. I then (shame on me!) said something like, "I must have flown twenty segments on the 200s in the last year, I chose this bag specifically because it fits on literally every plane I've ended up on." I swear, it was like I had a momentary OBE and could hear myself being all DYKWIA.

She let me slide, though we ended up getting in a bit early and I could have easily made the connection even waiting for my bag. For the record, my bag fit overhead just fine, as it always does. Waiting for the day where I pull that kind of stunt and it turns out to be some special version of aircraft that *doesn't* fit my bag....
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by synergistic
Self reporting a DYKWIA story:

So I was about to board a CRJ-200, and though I was carrying my bag, the GA noticed the wheels and wanted me to gate check it. I had a tightish connection and didn't want to chance it, so I attempted to decline. She was insistent that it wouldn't fit because it had wheels. I then (shame on me!) said something like, "I must have flown twenty segments on the 200s in the last year, I chose this bag specifically because it fits on literally every plane I've ended up on." I swear, it was like I had a momentary OBE and could hear myself being all DYKWIA.

She let me slide, though we ended up getting in a bit early and I could have easily made the connection even waiting for my bag. For the record, my bag fit overhead just fine, as it always does. Waiting for the day where I pull that kind of stunt and it turns out to be some special version of aircraft that *doesn't* fit my bag....
I wouldn't say that's a DYKWIA... Now if you had a gigantic carry on and a 3 hour connection, that would be a DYKWIA....
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
I wouldn't say that's a DYKWIA... Now if you had a gigantic carry on and a 3 hour connection, that would be a DYKWIA....
That's when I smile and take the pink tag, then cast it aside as I make my way down the jetbridge.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:56 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by WWads
That's when I smile and take the pink tag, then cast it aside as I make my way down the jetbridge.
exactly. much faster and less stressful than getting into a discussion with a GA about it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.