Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stencil
I speak Japanese. I'm Jewish of central European descent. I've been to Japan several dozen times. I've yet to meet a "typical Japanese speaker" act surprised when I speak Japanese. But that's just me. Maybe you got some レッドネック on that flight.
I have. As has my 6-ft-plus brother. And have other Westerners we know.

But that's not really the point. They didn't know I was the speaker; they just glanced back and looked mildly puzzled at not seeing an obvious source for the voice.

And that's it.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I speak Japanese. I'm Jewish of central European descent. I've been to Japan several dozen times. I've yet to meet a "typical Japanese speaker" act surprised when I speak Japanese. But that's just me. Maybe you got some レッドネック on that flight.
I speak Spanish. I am the extra pale edition of Caucasian. I have definitely met a "typical Spanish speaker" that has acted surprised when I speak Spanish.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I speak Spanish. I am the extra pale edition of Caucasian. I have definitely met a "typical Spanish speaker" that has acted surprised when I speak Spanish.
I speak Spanish too! I even know how to roll my eyes in Spanish emojis too!

Welp, today I learned that it's surprising when white people speak foreign languages.

Thanks for the education, flyertalk!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:04 pm

I speak Spanish too! I even know how to roll my eyes in Spanish emojis too!

Welp, today I learned that it's surprising when white people speak foreign languages.

Thanks for the education, flyertalk!
I'd say it's surprising especially if the flight left from the US...American's not being know for their foreign language ability....I am aware that there are many American's who know a second language, but I'd be very surprised if the percentage of Caucasian American's that speak fluent Japanese exceeds .5% And if it was .05% that wouldn't shock me either...so yes that to me qualifies as a surprise...speaking as a Caucasian American who flunked Spanish II in High School.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I speak Japanese. I'm Jewish of central European descent.
In June 1967, during the Six Day War, a number of American soldiers stationed in Japan wore jackets with "5-10-5" written on them.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:51 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Dovster
In June 1967, during the Six Day War, a number of American soldiers stationed in Japan wore jackets with "5-10-5" written on them.

Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Pronounce 5-10-5 in Japanese.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:18 am

"Go Jew Go". I love this!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:23 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Interesting!. . . .

Of course, I knew it wasn't fertilizer that my "Ima" used to buy!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM
That hysterical.

...but I thought white people can't speak Japanese? /s
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:38 am

I didn't see it myself as I was in Vietnam and read about it in The Stars and Stripes. I also remember that right after the Six Day War we started joking about buying an eye patch for Gen. Westmoreland so that we could go home in a week.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I didn't see it myself as I was in Vietnam and read about it in The Stars and Stripes. I also remember that right after the Six Day War we started joking about buying an eye patch for Gen. Westmoreland so that we could go home in a week.
So he would look like Moshe ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moshe_Dayan
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
So he would look like Moshe ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moshe_Dayan
Exactly.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by kitkat77
Plenty of white Spanish people. I having blond hair and blue eyes and plenty white.^
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Spanish
Plenty of white Spanish people. I having blond hair and blue eyes and plenty white.^
Back in college, I was in Mexico waiting for a bus when someone starting talking to me in Spanish. I could only speak a little bit, having wasted my high school years with German. I am white with brown hair and green eyes, pretty light skin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.