Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Would've arrested the guy at that point. Even if the DA decided not to prosecute, it would've been worth wasting the guys time and money.
Not a bad idea but the whole Orlando police force seemed to be directing traffic on Semoran Blvd as most of the streetlights were out.

It was after 9pm when I went in and the manager (he came over to make sure the bartender was OK after said jerk left) said that was the only complaint of the day (had been open since 3pm).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
Not sure it's a DWKWIA story or just the story of a compassionless jerk but had to share.
Headed to Orlando after Hurricane Irma as my condo still had no power yesterday and grounds were a mess. No hotels in area with availability.
Near MCO and about half the restaurants in the area are open for dinner. Went to Texas Roadhouse.
Man sits next to me at the bar and is kind of a jerk from the get go. Complains to bartender for wait for drink (about 3 minutes). Bartender apologizes and explains there is a limited menu and half the normal staff due to Hurricane Irma. Says restaurant only got power earlier in the day and many (including himself still don't have power). Man proclaims "that's not an excuse for poor service".
Then proceeds to order the salmon and French fries. Who orders salmon at a casual steakhouse chain?
Food takes a while to get there (as did mine). He eats about 2/3 of the meal then calls over the bartender to tell him "this is the worst food and service he has ever had at Texas Roadhouse and I won't be paying for the meal". He gets up and walks out.
Inatead of being grateful the place was open serving hot meals (it was my first since Sunday afternoon) he was a classless a-hole.

Was from Massachusetts down in FL helping parents during the storm. I know because he told me.
I didn't know that this was an option. You can just unilaterally declare that you're not paying for the good/service already rendered?

Can I do that to Comc@$t?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM
To be fair, I've ordered fish at a steakhouse before. They often source good quality fish.

At that particular place on that particular day though? Probably a burger.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by apodo77
Not sure it's a DWKWIA story or just the story of a compassionless jerk but had to share.
Headed to Orlando after Hurricane Irma as my condo still had no power yesterday and grounds were a mess. No hotels in area with availability.
Near MCO and about half the restaurants in the area are open for dinner. Went to Texas Roadhouse.
Man sits next to me at the bar and is kind of a jerk from the get go. Complains to bartender for wait for drink (about 3 minutes). Bartender apologizes and explains there is a limited menu and half the normal staff due to Hurricane Irma. Says restaurant only got power earlier in the day and many (including himself still don't have power). Man proclaims "that's not an excuse for poor service".
Then proceeds to order the salmon and French fries. Who orders salmon at a casual steakhouse chain?
Food takes a while to get there (as did mine). He eats about 2/3 of the meal then calls over the bartender to tell him "this is the worst food and service he has ever had at Texas Roadhouse and I won't be paying for the meal". He gets up and walks out.
Inatead of being grateful the place was open serving hot meals (it was my first since Sunday afternoon) he was a classless a-hole.

Was from Massachusetts down in FL helping parents during the storm. I know because he told me.
That guy is just a jerk. I eat at that Texas Roadhouse often (live about 10min east of there) and I've never had a bad experience. Many here in MCO are still out of power and that area specifically just got their power back yesterday. I went to a local Chick-Fil-A yesterday (not the one next to Roadhouse) which also had a limited menu and I was just gracious that they were even open so I could eat.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
A M@sshole, huh? You don't say...

Beat me to it At least he didn't send his entrée back to the kitchen and make them recook it after eating most of it. The things I don't miss about living in New England...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Would've arrested the guy at that point. Even if the DA decided not to prosecute, it would've been worth wasting the guys time and money.
Does the CO in your FT name refer to Constable?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
Does the CO in your FT name refer to Constable?
Called a citizens arrest. If you witness a crime you can detain (arrest) the person.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Called a citizens arrest. If you witness a crime you can detain (arrest) the person.
In this day and age, that seems like the absolute worst idea ever. People shoot people over things like parking spots these days. "Detaining" someone over a $20 lunch bill is just asking for something bad to happen to yourself.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kop84
I didn't know that this was an option. You can just unilaterally declare that you're not paying for the good/service already rendered?

Can I do that to Comc@$t?
IANAL but I would imagine it is "illegal" to walk out without paying after having consumed most of a meal; however a couple factors are in play:
- The amount probably only qualifies as petty theft; and it's probably more time and hassle for the restaurant to pursue anything than to just write it off than value they'd get pursuing anything especially if it's single person
- If the police are called to investigate, there's the negative image of having police in the restaurant for purposes other than eating. To a customer who doesn't know better or why the police are there,, they'd wonder why the cops are there and it might drive away business.

Sadly these people get away with it because it's simpler and easier for the restaurant to let it go than to pursue it. The one who suffers the most is likely the server who at best loses out on a tip and at worst, gets stuck with the bill by the restaurant and held responsible for "allowing" the person to walk out without paying.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The opposite side of that is my brother and his girlfriend were once detained by a restaurant for walking out on a bill when they didn't. They were seated and water and breadsticks were brought to their table but they never got a server so never place any kind of order and left after 15 minutes of no service. The girlfriend accidentally left her purse and when they went back for it they were accused of walking out on paying for a full meal backed up by a busybody at the next table.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Just out of academic interest ..roughly how old was this guy?

Unless he was suffering from mental illness or severe stress, I can't imagine anyone acting that way...yet he did, and got a free meal out of it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:51 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by mapleg
Just out of academic interest ..roughly how old was this guy?

Unless he was suffering from mental illness or severe stress, I can't imagine anyone acting that way...yet he did, and got a free meal out of it.
I guess you've never waited tables? This sort of behavior is not exactly common but is far from unheard of at mid-range restaurants like this.
northwest_buckeye likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by pvn
I guess you've never waited tables? This sort of behavior is not exactly common but is far from unheard of at mid-range restaurants like this.
Sadly this is true. I'm in the business, and people who are rude/walk out on service employees are the absolute worst!

The exact same applies to FAs...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Sadly this is true. I'm in the business, and people who are rude/walk out on service employees are the absolute worst!

The exact same applies to FAs...
There should be some extra karmic retribution to people who mistreat service industry people who don't have the ability to yell back at you without being fired.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by pvn

Actually I did, in Canada as a student. 3 years in restaurants in a tourist town. Now I admit it was many years ago. Never once saw anyone act that way..never.

Maybe it's a USA thing or just another indicator of how selfish some people have become

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.