Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Irrelevant. There's no rule that says "if the GA comes on board to upgrade a person to C+, they must also upgrade a person to F if a seat is available." If everyone on the upgrade list had boarded, then this technically isn't shena. It sucks that the GA wasn't willing to go above and beyond, but by DL rule, they didn't have to upgrade an already-boarded passenger.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:18 pm

It is a fact: airline employees do jockey to take care of their own when they can get by with it. Why do so so many FT’s want to explain it away when it is the most obvious reason for what happened?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Saw it for the first time a few weeks ago traveling BOS-RDU, called out the GA and Red Coat on the issue and they both seemed uninterested. When I landed in RDU, met with Red Coat, explained the issue and confirmed the Shena.

Long story.... sorry. Was #1 (of 3) BOS-RDU. Plane was 20 min late arriving and the GA had not cleared any upgrades, FC or C+. When the GA began boarding, I went to board with FC/DIAMOND and said that I had not been cleared, but was #1 . The GA said that his process is not to clear UGs until after boarding... yes that is what he said. I also saw two people standing at the desk, that seemed concerned about my inquiry. I said that I have a C+ seat and that somebody on that UG list would like it when I am cleared. The GA told me to board now or wait until the end and if there was an UG, I might get it. Very frustrated I looked for a Redcoat, but found another GA to help the BOS-RDU GA. She began processing and I did get the UG and the first GA told her to go away. I boarded in FC (3D) and then watched the whole thing. The two people that were waiting at the desk were put into 1C and 1D, the GA move a older, handicapped FC passenger to 2B (he needed help to stand up and to be moved). A Redcoat then came on board to UG the #2 (now #1 ) on the list to my seat and when she realized it was occupied (showed her my app), she sent him back to his seat, saying she didn't realize the UGs had been cleared. I called the Redcoat over as she leaving and said that there was some funny stuff going on with that GA and that the UG's should have been cleared long before boarding as the plane was late arriving. I then said that I thought the GA had no idea of the process and how he lost control of the situation, she said that she would handle it. In the air, the two in 1C and 1D had their feet on the bulkhead and drank the entire flight.

On arrival to RDU I sought out a Red coat and she reviewed that flight and confirmed my suspicions. I was the only one that got an UG. The two that were moved to 1C and 1D were not medallions, were not on the UG list, had Basic Economy tix and did not pay for the UG. No medallions got UG'd to C+, she suspected that he cleared standbys to those seats. Made a report to DL and today I noticed a 10K Customer Service Bonus. I called DL and they said that it was a follow up to my report.
Oh the horror! They drank the entire flight!
caliform likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Welp, never had a story for this thread before today, but it was bound to happen to me eventually. Had a paper boarding pass and was assigned 5D on YUL-LGA last night. Boarded, sat down, and toward the end of boarding, a woman comes down the aisle and shows me her paper boarding pass -- also 5D. The FA shrugs, and since the seat behind me wasn't occupied, she directed her to sit down in 6D. We're both very confused, but the door closes and nobody is without a seat.

Halfway through my flight, I pull up the Delta app... and notice that the seat on my mobile boarding pass updated to 3D. But F was full, and someone else was sitting in 3D.

Not that it makes a darn bit of difference on a 58-minute flight, but this seems to have a whiff of Shena.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by ohhleary
Not that it makes a darn bit of difference on a 58-minute flight, but this seems to have a whiff of Shena.
More than a whiff, I think!

Originally Posted by Tizzette
It is a fact: airline employees do jockey to take care of their own when they can get by with it. Why do so so many FT’s want to explain it away when it is the most obvious reason for what happened?

I am equally puzzled - Stockholm Syndrome perhaps?
ohhleary and altabello like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:46 pm

If its a shena then probably done by a clumsy GA.
I mean why would you leave a breadcrumb trail by upgrading a passenger who has already boarded and then ask someone else to sit in that seat.

@ohhleary - if you took a screenshot of your new BP in the app, please send that to Delta to investigate

More likely this was a case of successful seat poaching. I have seen someone come in confidently and take 1D and then fumble with their BP when real assignee turns up.
ohhleary and WillBarrett_68 like this.

Last edited by jeet; Jul 24, 2019 at 12:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ohhleary
Welp, never had a story for this thread before today, but it was bound to happen to me eventually. Had a paper boarding pass and was assigned 5D on YUL-LGA last night. Boarded, sat down, and toward the end of boarding, a woman comes down the aisle and shows me her paper boarding pass -- also 5D. The FA shrugs, and since the seat behind me wasn't occupied, she directed her to sit down in 6D. We're both very confused, but the door closes and nobody is without a seat.

Halfway through my flight, I pull up the Delta app... and notice that the seat on my mobile boarding pass updated to 3D. But F was full, and someone else was sitting in 3D.

The GA could've upgraded you and asked the non-rev they cleared into your seat (5D) to tell you that there's a seat in F (3D). I've had that happen a few times, but have always been given an upgraded BP to hand to the customer.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
The GA could've upgraded you and asked the non-rev they cleared into your seat (5D) to tell you that there's a seat in F (3D). I've had that happen a few times, but have always been given an upgraded BP to hand to the customer.
IMO GAs should never trust nonrevs to actually follow the instructions and give the FC seat to the elite who earned it.....and when this happens nonrevs should lose their travel privileges.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This was not shena at all. Old 5D was upgraded. That left his seat vacant and assignable. It was assigned and New 5D boards. The mistake was in the GA not making certain that Old 5D knew to move.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Often1
This was not shena at all. Old 5D was upgraded. That left his seat vacant and assignable. It was assigned and New 5D boards. The mistake was in the GA not making certain that Old 5D knew to move.
But who was sitting in 3D? We need answers people!
ohhleary likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
MSP to SFO.

Two were upgraded at the gate to 1A and 1D.

We boarded, and then sat at the gate with the door open waiting on mait to replace a brake pad. 1A never boarded, and I was sitting in the back of the front section oe comfort so I could hear the GA and FA talking behind me.

The GA said she was going to go up and pull someone to 1A, and the FA asked her not to and they would take care of it when the door shut. 1A disappeared off of the upgrade list, with no one replacing it in the app. Then the FA pulled someone up to take 1A herself with no boarding pass. Sounded very much like the FA asking the GA not to pull someone so she could put her buddy up there.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by teCh0010
MSP to SFO.

Two were upgraded at the gate to 1A and 1D.

We boarded, and then sat at the gate with the door open waiting on mait to replace a brake pad. 1A never boarded, and I was sitting in the back of the front section oe comfort so I could hear the GA and FA talking behind me.

The GA said she was going to go up and pull someone to 1A, and the FA asked her not to and they would take care of it when the door shut. 1A disappeared off of the upgrade list, with no one replacing it in the app. Then the FA pulled someone up to take 1A herself with no boarding pass. Sounded very much like the FA asking the GA not to pull someone so she could put her buddy up there.
That is so wrong, especially since there was ample time to move someone up.

Where were you on the FC upgrade list?

I think you should report both the FA and the GA to DL.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That is so wrong, especially since there was ample time to move someone up.

Where were you on the FC upgrade list?

I think you should report both the FA and the GA to DL.

I was like 3rd after they upgraded 2. It wouldn't have been me, but it should have been someone from the upgrade list.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
a few weeks ago I flew from LHR-MSP and then onward to LAS. This was not my original itinerary so I was just happy to be on a plane going home, so I wasn't about to cause a stink at the gate.

In MSP there were 2 seats available for C+ and I was #2 on the list. The GA starts calling people up to the podium - presumably all the BE people waiting for seat assignments. The other GA starts boarding the plane and there still calling people up to the podium. I overhear the GA ask the pax if he wants an exit row or a C+ middle. he goes for the exit row. another pax gets called up. he opts for two C+ seats not together. he was the 17th person on the cleared list. only person in C+.

plane went out with nobody from the C+ upgrade list cleared and 0 seats available.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by gitismatt
a few weeks ago I flew from LHR-MSP and then onward to LAS. This was not my original itinerary so I was just happy to be on a plane going home, so I wasn't about to cause a stink at the gate.

In MSP there were 2 seats available for C+ and I was #2 on the list. The GA starts calling people up to the podium - presumably all the BE people waiting for seat assignments. The other GA starts boarding the plane and there still calling people up to the podium. I overhear the GA ask the pax if he wants an exit row or a C+ middle. he goes for the exit row. another pax gets called up. he opts for two C+ seats not together. he was the 17th person on the cleared list. only person in C+.

plane went out with nobody from the C+ upgrade list cleared and 0 seats available.
IMO if DL wants to pretend that C+ is an upgrade, then DL needs to process the C+ "upgrade" list properly, each and every time.

However, why didn't you say something to the GAs if you wanted a C+ seat?

Please complain to DL.
strickerj and btonkid12345 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.