Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
DL 1995 Apr 25 - Shena?

How did 1C get that seat? She was last on but GIDS was zeroed out at T-15and the proverbial "FC full" announcement. If it was an FO then there was a Shena, I think.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:03 am

Split PNR - IROP Resolutions

[QUOTE=Crazyhotelguy;16272041]I have to agree that Shena was not at the desk for this transaction. If I were the OP IN thIs situation, I would have split the PNR and took the U/G if it were important. [QUOTE]

Splitting the PNR is a solution to get award ticket upgrades for DM/PM/GM or when there are more than 2 on a PNR for revenue tickets.

The risk (which I experienced first hand) is that when IROP happens, a split PNR, EVEN when there is a note to link, can result in one or more of the party being accomodated differently. Case in point - connecting flight is cancelled - DM and GM are reaccomodated in FC on an alternative routing while SM in party is accomodated on a different routing (2 hour longer delay). It got fixed but not without some significant legwork for this DM - kudos to Delta to get it straightened out but this should never have happened in the first place.

I think it's time that Delta figure out a way for an Elite to get upgraded at their request EVEN when their PNR includes non-upgrade eligibles for whatever reason. It seems silly to have to play this PNR game especially since the game has unintended consequences.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bicostal
How did 1C get that seat? She was last on but GIDS was zeroed out at T-15and the proverbial "FC full" announcement. If it was an FO then there was a Shena, I think.
No gate upgrades were even done on this flight. Must have been either A) a paid FC passenger arriving to the plane late or B) someone who was upgraded at the window and just boarded last (possibly due to tight connection).
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
No gate upgrades were even done on this flight. Must have been either A) a paid FC passenger arriving to the plane late or B) someone who was upgraded at the window and just boarded last (possibly due to tight connection).
So you can't tell their status? What was the makeup of the FC cabin on that trip? Can you tell?

It was a quick turn and there was a lot of confusion - the GA was not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer based on other things that happened at the gate.

I think she just handed out the last seat to the last passenger after telling the 8 on the list that all the seats were gone and rushing them to board.

My view is that getting the plane out on time without any extra effort to do it right was the motivator.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
I hate to admit but... SHENA

So, I'm usually ok with not getting an upgrade if I'm flying Y... but today pushed me over the top, not just because of the upgrade, but the circumstances.

Was on DL Shuttle 1382 LGA-BOS, on a paid F ticket. We all boarded, I had my drink in my hand when they announced the flight was cancelled, and that everyone on F was rebooked on 1384 1 hour later, but all on coach since F was completely full.

So, no big deal. If it's full, it's full, I could go on a later one if I wanted F, but I just wanted to get home.

Before boarding, 20 minutes before the scheduled take-off, I notice on the GIDS that there's 1 seat open in F, and I'm #1 in the UG list. Good, I thought, I'll probably get it.

We start boarding and they didn't clear UG. No problem I figure, they'll get me afterwards and move me up. I take my seat in 4C, which is not a bad seat. I'm thinking to myself it might not even be worth the trouble to move up once they call my name, but we'll see.

1 hour later they close the boarding door, and the seat is still open. Then, the FA moves to the back of the plane, and signal to another FA that was deadheading to BOS. He picks up his stuff and takes his FC seat.

Now.. I didn't mind flying in Y. But this seems like a serious lack of respect. I paid for my F ticket, and instead, the FA decided to give her colleague a freebie.... That is not cool in my book....
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:36 pm
Suspended

DL Upgrade Shana

Originally Posted by mbarreto
So, I'm usually ok with not getting an upgrade if I'm flying Y... but today pushed me over the top, not just because of the upgrade, but the circumstances.

Was on DL Shuttle 1382 LGA-BOS, on a paid F ticket. We all boarded, I had my drink in my hand when they announced the flight was cancelled, and that everyone on F was rebooked on 1384 1 hour later, but all on coach since F was completely full.

So, no big deal. If it's full, it's full, I could go on a later one if I wanted F, but I just wanted to get home.

Before boarding, 20 minutes before the scheduled take-off, I notice on the GIDS that there's 1 seat open in F, and I'm #1 in the UG list. Good, I thought, I'll probably get it.

We start boarding and they didn't clear UG. No problem I figure, they'll get me afterwards and move me up. I take my seat in 4C, which is not a bad seat. I'm thinking to myself it might not even be worth the trouble to move up once they call my name, but we'll see.

1 hour later they close the boarding door, and the seat is still open. Then, the FA moves to the back of the plane, and signal to another FA that was deadheading to BOS. He picks up his stuff and takes his FC seat.

Now.. I didn't mind flying in Y. But this seems like a serious lack of respect. I paid for my F ticket, and instead, the FA decided to give her colleague a freebie.... That is not cool in my book....
Next time take a pix with your phone and write to DL. Write now without the pix.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Is this a pic of her?

Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Next time take a pix with your phone and write to DL. Write now without the pix.
I thought about it, but the guy was in 1A and I was in 4C, I couldn't see him from my seat. I also couldn't get his name because once we landed he stormed out of the plane. I did the the FA name though. I'll write Delta tonite. I'm sure they'll be shocked and dismayed that such a thing happened!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I might be missing something, but there seems like two issues here; Having a paid F seat and having to sit in Y due to IRROPS and then the "upgrade" given to a deadheading FA. I put "upgrade" in quotes because it seems a paid F passenger shouldn't have to be "upgraded" to a cabin they've paid to sit in. Even if there were a quadruple DM sitting in Y on the UG list, you should have priority as you paid for F.

If F was completely full on the re-booked flight, I would request compensation as the IRROPS wasn't WX related.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Also should get a refund of the difference between coach and FC.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
Were you on an F fare or did you buy A/P fare. As has been discussed at length, A/P fares are actually coach fares. If you were on F fare, you shouldnt have been on an upgrade list. Also, if paid F, request difference between full F fare and walk-up coach fare. I believe you would have a valid claim under COC rules to compensation if on full F Fare. Dont settle for miles. If A/P fare, be happy with miles since they fulfilled the contract by getting you home and did offer a later flight in F.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:28 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
And if on an A/P-UP fare, the first rule is to not board the plane. Once a medallion boards the flight, they lose their right to an UG. Sure, you might not get overhead bin space if you hang around the gate until the last minute. So the choice is yours.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Why didn't you go to the counter?

I would have gone to the counter as soon as I saw my name on the UG list. I would have made sure they knew I was paid F and that I knew there was 1 open seat. I would have done it passive agressively, of course, by asking why if I was paid F there would be 1 seat on the UG list.... but that's just me...

And I'm a guy who flies paid F frequently, not to sound snooty even if it sounds snooty.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Is this a pic of her?

Originally Posted by monkeshine
I would have gone to the counter as soon as I saw my name on the UG list. I would have made sure they knew I was paid F and that I knew there was 1 open seat. I would have done it passive agressively, of course, by asking why if I was paid F there would be 1 seat on the UG list.... but that's just me...

And I'm a guy who flies paid F frequently, not to sound snooty even if it sounds snooty.
you sound assertive not snooty
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Off topic, but it used to be common practice for deadheads to sit and let the other passengers exit the plane first. Does Delta have an official policy on that, or was it just a courtesy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.