FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - “Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:03 am
Bicostal

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Split PNR - IROP Resolutions

[QUOTE=Crazyhotelguy;16272041]I have to agree that Shena was not at the desk for this transaction. If I were the OP IN thIs situation, I would have split the PNR and took the U/G if it were important. [QUOTE]

Splitting the PNR is a solution to get award ticket upgrades for DM/PM/GM or when there are more than 2 on a PNR for revenue tickets.

The risk (which I experienced first hand) is that when IROP happens, a split PNR, EVEN when there is a note to link, can result in one or more of the party being accomodated differently. Case in point - connecting flight is cancelled - DM and GM are reaccomodated in FC on an alternative routing while SM in party is accomodated on a different routing (2 hour longer delay). It got fixed but not without some significant legwork for this DM - kudos to Delta to get it straightened out but this should never have happened in the first place.

I think it's time that Delta figure out a way for an Elite to get upgraded at their request EVEN when their PNR includes non-upgrade eligibles for whatever reason. It seems silly to have to play this PNR game especially since the game has unintended consequences.