Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:36 am
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Many thanks! It was not SDC - suspect an over-eager GA to push back processed upgrade prior to 30 minute mark as I checked in around t-40 minutes. We pushed back almost 10 minutes early so I am guessing but would be interesting to know what happens if a GA processes early before all passengers have checked-in. Also, this ticket was only purchased 3 days ago so that is why I did not clear earlier.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:37 am
EZE

Originally Posted by fti
If the DM boarded and was not UG'd before another medallion, I give kudos to the GA for UG'ing according to DL's policies. We can discuss whether or not this policy is fair, but the point is, DL has a policy and should follow it. Sounds like they did, which is great.
I would probably agree but was not the case here.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:57 am
EZE

Originally Posted by localady
I'm on 1312 and I'm pretty sure that they upgraded somebody at the gate gut wouldn't know anything about who it was... Where are you sitting?
sorry I missed you! I was back in 17C I think.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by EZE
I would probably agree but was not the case here.
This is yet another example of how the variability in the execution of Delta policies by line employees creates issues for the customer. Processing upgrades before the check-in window is closed is wrong.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by EZE
Many thanks! It was not SDC - suspect an over-eager GA to push back processed upgrade prior to 30 minute mark as I checked in around t-40 minutes. We pushed back almost 10 minutes early so I am guessing but would be interesting to know what happens if a GA processes early before all passengers have checked-in. Also, this ticket was only purchased 3 days ago so that is why I did not clear earlier.
Did you ask the GA what happened when you got to the gate?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:32 am
Suspended

DL Check In & Upgrades

Originally Posted by Bicostal
This is yet another example of how the variability in the execution of Delta policies by line employees creates issues for the customer. Processing upgrades before the check-in window is closed is wrong.
1++++
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Not necessarily....if the DM SDCed after UGs had been cleared the DM wouldn't have been upgraded since there would have been zero seats.
Of course that's true, but if they're clearing upgrades at the gate (anytime 15 min before boarding to right before push in my experience), it seemed highly unlikely to me that someone would SDC so late. So it could happen as you say, but I expect that the boarding before clearing scenario is more likely.

Either way, the person SDCing late or boarding early doesn't have a gripe.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Not necessarily....if the DM SDCed after UGs had been cleared the DM wouldn't have been upgraded since there would have been zero seats.
This is precisely what happened to me the last time I sat in coach.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
This is precisely what happened to me the last time I sat in coach.
If you do an SDC and get it 3-hours out, you ought to be on the BF UG list. If you do a stand by at the gate, then you won't clear to the UG list until you are confirmed in coach, and that could happen BECAUSE they freed up a Y seat by UGing an FO.

Again. it makes little rational sense to do it this way but from an IT approach, it may just be another delta.dum quirk.

In the ideal world, a Medallion standing by for any seat at the gate ought to be able to stand by for a seat and an upgrade in parallel.

How does it work for a standby (not SDC) holding a bonafide FC ticket?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
SDC isn't the issue for the OP though... they checked in at T-40 and didn't get upgraded at the gate. So, the the GA already processed all upgrades very early before he checked in, or the system didn't put him on the gate upgrade list.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
So I guess you're only on the gate upgrade list if you are checked in. Good to know.

It sounds like the gate agent didn't actually follow procedure if he/she processed gate upgrades before the 30 minute mark. They are supposed to wait until the 30 minute mark to make sure all passengers are legally checked in.

-RM
Old Apr 21, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Newbie question: How does one check the status of who was upgraded on a previous flight? (Is this expertflyer?) This would be useful for planning travel to optimize UG chances.

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by swevc
Newbie question: How does one check the status of who was upgraded on a previous flight? (Is this expertflyer?) This would be useful for planning travel to optimize UG chances.

Thanks!
This is done by people who have access to the DL internal system. There is no publicly available way to see the status of those who were upgraded.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by msuroo
Shena...nigans. Mostly commonly used to describe a scenario where it is believed that upgrades were not processed according to policy.
Ms. Shena N. Egans is a Delta gate agent who is notorious for circumventing the normal upgrade process... Ironically she has been with Delta for quite a long time and apparently evades getting caught by constantly working at different airports, although it does seem that ATL is her favorite location....
Old Apr 22, 2011, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Burj
Ms. Shena N. Egans is a Delta gate agent who is notorious for circumventing the normal upgrade process... Ironically she has been with Delta for quite a long time and apparently evades getting caught by constantly working at different airports, although it does seem that ATL is her favorite location....
^ thanks for the laugh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.