Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
So I guess you're only on the gate upgrade list if you are checked in. Good to know.

It sounds like the gate agent didn't actually follow procedure if he/she processed gate upgrades before the 30 minute mark. They are supposed to wait until the 30 minute mark to make sure all passengers are legally checked in.

-RM
Not necessarily. I've had the same thing happen, checked in 35 minutes out, lists were cleared & boarding had started 40 min out. When the plane is at the gate & ready to go (i.e. in the ideal scenario), agents should have lists cleared prior to boarding, which could be as much as 40 min out for a widebody. OLCI would have put the OP on the list, guess he/she didn't do that? (In my case I didn't do OLCI.) And yes, in my case, the GA did confirm this is what happened. It was a short flight so I chalked it up as a reminder to be earlier.

There is protocol for boarding times according to the type of aircraft. Protocol says lists should be cleared prior to boarding, though conditions don't always allow that. If there's only one agent working the flight, a good agent will get things in order before boarding.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Paging zsmith2 or any other DL gate agent on this board...

What is DL's policy with regards to clearing upgrade & standby lists at the gate? I thought it had to be after the legal check-in cutoff time (30 minutes for domestic flights).

If the agent wants to start boarding the flight early that's fine but the standby's and upgrade standby's need to wait. At least that was always my impression.

Bottom line though is that you should always OLCI at least an hour before even if you're running late to the airport so you will be on the gate upgrade list and the agent can process your upgrade. That part is cool.

-RM
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by Burj
Ms. Shena N. Egans is a Delta gate agent who is notorious for circumventing the normal upgrade process... Ironically she has been with Delta for quite a long time and apparently evades getting caught by constantly working at different airports, although it does seem that ATL is her favorite location....
I ran into a close relative of her's today in MCO.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by Burj
Ms. Shena N. Egans is a Delta gate agent who is notorious for circumventing the normal upgrade process... Ironically she has been with Delta for quite a long time and apparently evades getting caught by constantly working at different airports, although it does seem that ATL is her favorite location....
LOL
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by SeaClay007
I ran into a close relative of her's today in MCO.
Ok, I'll bite. ? What happened at my dear home airport?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
This is done by people who have access to the DL internal system. There is no publicly available way to see the status of those who were upgraded.
Thanks...I was wondering the same thing. How is this checked?
Safe travels to all!
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Ok, I'll bite. ? What happened at my dear home airport?
Let me start of by saying that I didn't feel entitled to an upgrade and it was a short flight too, but what I observed led me to believe that Miss Egan's relative was at MCO (an airport I like too...security wasn't even that bad yesterday )...

My family and I (party of 4) were on award travel home MCO-ATL-BOS yesterday (flight 2018 MCO-ATL).

We arrived at the gate about 10 min prior to boarding and the GIDS said Y was full and F had 5 seats not assigned. They were offering standby upgrades for purchase and there was no upgrade list. The standby list had 2+ columns on it (15-16 pax?).

We had been upgraded on our outbound ATL-MCO segment under what appeared to be the same circumstances (and without my asking) so I thought I had a good shot if I asked politely. It seemed to make sense: upgrade a DM and his family and free up four Y seats for standby pax. Win-win. Or so I thought.

I approached the podium and asked one of the two GAs if he'd be willing to upgrade us. He seemed unsure of what he could do. I told him it had been done on our outbound flight so he should be able to do it. There was a red coat near the boarding door and I said that there was a "red coat right there if he needed help." The red coat ignored our conversation.

He then looked at the other GA for guidance and that one said I must have been upgraded outbound due to the flight being oversold and that his flight wasn't so he wasn't going to upgrade us. I said "you have a standby list.." and he cut me off saying he was in charge of the flight and had it "taken care of." I said that I was disappointed and he immediately gave me his name, obviously expecting me to complain and evidently not caring if I did. I've never been treated with such disdain by a DL front-line employee.

At that point, I suspected Shena was near, so I paid close attention once we boarded and sat in Y (near the mid-door of the 757). Boarding takes place and once finished I observed five pax board in F. Then, after about five minutes there is a lot of apparent confusion, GA walks on and three pax are removed from F and three new pax are seated there. Then one of those from F is seated just behind us and a couple minutes later, Mr "I'm in Charge of this Flight" comes on, smiles at her, says "sorry," deplanes her and another person takes her seat.

Obviously, I don't have all the inside info on what happened (when do we ever as passengers?). However, all this shuffling of people and the GA saying he had it "taken care of" leads me to believe the GA was trying to do a "friends & family" upgrade that ultimately failed.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did email DL and not about the upgrade, but the GA's rudeness, disdain and apparent attempt at shena-n-gans.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
If it comes down to a gate upgrade I prefer it be before 30 min mark. There is nothing more annoying then trying to navigate the gate lice to get your new BP around while FC is boarding.

OLCI is easy enough and you can still print your BP when you get to the airport.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Let me start of by saying that I didn't feel entitled to an upgrade and it was a short flight too, but what I observed led me to believe that Miss Egan's relative was at MCO (an airport I like too...security wasn't even that bad yesterday )...

My family and I (party of 4) were on award travel home MCO-ATL-BOS yesterday (flight 2018 MCO-ATL).

We arrived at the gate about 10 min prior to boarding and the GIDS said Y was full and F had 5 seats not assigned. They were offering standby upgrades for purchase and there was no upgrade list. The standby list had 2+ columns on it (15-16 pax?).

We had been upgraded on our outbound ATL-MCO segment under what appeared to be the same circumstances (and without my asking) so I thought I had a good shot if I asked politely. It seemed to make sense: upgrade a DM and his family and free up four Y seats for standby pax. Win-win. Or so I thought.

I approached the podium and asked one of the two GAs if he'd be willing to upgrade us. He seemed unsure of what he could do. I told him it had been done on our outbound flight so he should be able to do it. There was a red coat near the boarding door and I said that there was a "red coat right there if he needed help." The red coat ignored our conversation.

He then looked at the other GA for guidance and that one said I must have been upgraded outbound due to the flight being oversold and that his flight wasn't so he wasn't going to upgrade us. I said "you have a standby list.." and he cut me off saying he was in charge of the flight and had it "taken care of." I said that I was disappointed and he immediately gave me his name, obviously expecting me to complain and evidently not caring if I did. I've never been treated with such disdain by a DL front-line employee.

At that point, I suspected Shena was near, so I paid close attention once we boarded and sat in Y (near the mid-door of the 757). Boarding takes place and once finished I observed five pax board in F. Then, after about five minutes there is a lot of apparent confusion, GA walks on and three pax are removed from F and three new pax are seated there. Then one of those from F is seated just behind us and a couple minutes later, Mr "I'm in Charge of this Flight" comes on, smiles at her, says "sorry," deplanes her and another person takes her seat.

Obviously, I don't have all the inside info on what happened (when do we ever as passengers?). However, all this shuffling of people and the GA saying he had it "taken care of" leads me to believe the GA was trying to do a "friends & family" upgrade that ultimately failed.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did email DL and not about the upgrade, but the GA's rudeness, disdain and apparent attempt at shena-n-gans.
You should have been on the upgrade list anyway. Award tickets get upgraded now. Is it that if a non FO is ont the PNR do you get upgraded at 12 hour mark or not at all on an award?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Allow me to be the first to tell you that Ms. Egans and her cousin were nowhere near your gate at MCO that day with regards to your reservation. The ATL gate agent who upgraded your entire family did it as a courtesy only and technically broke DL rules. The gate agents at MCO were correct to deny you.

There are several reasons the gate agent could have denied your request, all by DL rules:

1. You had 5 people in your reservation. This means no EUA for you.
2. You were on award tickets. Remember that only DM/PM/GM can get upgrades on award tickets and companions are not allowed upgrades on award tickets. So any elite with any other non-elite (or FO) in their award ticket reservation is not eligible for EUA.

Having a lengthy standby list for a flight does not mean it's oversold. It simply means there are a lot of people with unconfirmed seats trying to get on the flight (maybe employees, maybe buddy passes, etc.). To the gate agent this was a moot point in your attempt to get all five of you in FC.

The best thing, and only thing, you could have done to get upgraded was to separate your PNR and get upgraded as a DM and let the four other family members sit in the back.

-RM
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
You should have been on the upgrade list anyway. Award tickets get upgraded now. Is it that if a non FO is ont the PNR do you get upgraded at 12 hour mark or not at all on an award?
See my post above. He should not have been on the upgrade list because he has companions in his PNR. Companions disqualify all award tickets from upgrades unless they all happen to be DM/PM/GM.

-RM
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Allow me to be the first to tell you that Ms. Egans and her cousin were nowhere near your gate at MCO that day with regards to your reservation. The ATL gate agent who upgraded your entire family did it as a courtesy only and technically broke DL rules. The gate agents at MCO were correct to deny you.

There are several reasons the gate agent could have denied your request, all by DL rules:

1. You had 5 people in your reservation. This means no EUA for you.
2. You were on award tickets. Remember that only DM/PM/GM can get upgrades on award tickets and companions are not allowed upgrades on award tickets. So any elite with any other non-elite (or FO) in their award ticket reservation is not eligible for EUA.

Having a lengthy standby list for a flight does not mean it's oversold. It simply means there are a lot of people with unconfirmed seats trying to get on the flight (maybe employees, maybe buddy passes, etc.). To the gate agent this was a moot point in your attempt to get all five of you in FC.

The best thing, and only thing, you could have done to get upgraded was to separate your PNR and get upgraded as a DM and let the four other family members sit in the back.

-RM
I have to agree that Shena was not at the desk for this transaction. If I were the OP IN thIs situation, I would have split the PNR and took the U/G if it were important.

I see the OP's point that there was a slight expectation based on previous experience. Out of MCO, the remaining FC seats in FC AFTER all upgrades are cleared tend to go to other crew on the u/g list first. This is based on observation only!!! On my flights, it is rare to find empty FC seats as there are usually people still on the U/g list after all FC seats are full.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
^

SeaClay007 said there were 4 in his party, not 5. He did not indicate whether his companions had status.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by kicker
SeaClay007 said there were 4 in his party, not 5. He did not indicate whether his companions had status.
None of my family has status. I am DM/MM. I was well aware of the award upgrade rules, but chose not to split my PNR as with the loads during school vacation I was concerned (probably a baseless concern) that my wife & children could be bumped if they were on their own PNR. Had I done a split, I would have cleared BOS-ATL-MCO easily and likely MCO-ATL. ATL-BOS had been F0 for a long time so I didn't think there'd be anything for it.

The fact that the MCO GA basically said "talk to the hand," boarded pax he obviously knew in F and then deplaned them for other pax only leads me to believe he was up to something.

Like I said in my post above, I didn't expect an upgrade, I just thought I'd ask. The way the GA handled the request disappointed me and led me to observe & report how I thought things went down.

For ATL-MCO, the GA said to me that "we moved you because we needed your seats." Whether that means oversold, or the just wanted to clear some standbys, I don't know. If that broke a rule, I don't know, but there was no upgrade list so we didn't jump ahead of any other deserving Medallions.

I appreciate that they took the time in ATL to recognize my status and move us forward instead of just clearing standbys directly into F. That's the kind of loyalty I love to see DL show for the loyalty I give them.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 5:18 pm

None of my family has status. I am DM/MM. I was well aware of the award upgrade rules, but chose not to split my PNR as with the loads during school vacation I was concerned (probably a baseless concern) that my wife & children could be bumped if they were on their own PNR. Had I done a split, I would have cleared BOS-ATL-MCO easily and likely MCO-ATL. ATL-BOS had been F0 for a long time so I didn't think there'd be anything for it.

The fact that the MCO GA basically said "talk to the hand," boarded pax he obviously knew in F and then deplaned them for other pax only leads me to believe he was up to something.

Like I said in my post above, I didn't expect an upgrade, I just thought I'd ask. The way the GA handled the request disappointed me and led me to observe & report how I thought things went down.

For ATL-MCO, the GA said to me that "we moved you because we needed your seats." Whether that means oversold, or the just wanted to clear some standbys, I don't know. If that broke a rule, I don't know, but there was no upgrade list so we didn't jump ahead of any other deserving Medallions.

I appreciate that they took the time in ATL to recognize my status and move us forward instead of just clearing standbys directly into F. That's the kind of loyalty I love to see DL show for the loyalty I give them.
It is great that the GA in ATL was so helpful... Often the GA's in ATL get a bad rap. I am disappointed at the attitude of the MCO GA, but I can't call Shena on this one. The GA's at MCO do some crazy things sometimes, and they can sometimes be a little difficult( I woukd be too if I had to deal with some of those crazy fool pax at MCO) but I have never seen Shena at MCO to thebest of my knowledge.

Some of the other MCOers may correct me on that one....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.