Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
On the MD-90, MSP-BOS this morning, there were 62 people on the UG list at the gate, at least 43 of them GM (based on my position) for three seats. It looked like 12 seats cleared at the DM window, because it went from 15F to 3F at that time. So, on a 160-person plane, 75 had some sort of status. Sky zone boarding was a mess.

Oh, and, just for fun, looks like Shena checked out the flight. I see a JetBlue pilot sitting in an F seat that no showed. He rushed on the plane right as the door closed. Should be some other medallion up there.
- Uniforms do not always equal Shena.
- It is my understanding that, once boarded, you come off the UG list. Some GAs will still follow the list, others will not.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman
- Uniforms do not always equal Shena.
- It is my understanding that, once boarded, you come off the UG list. Some GAs will still follow the list, others will not.
I'm not complaining for myself. Back at spot 43, there was no way I was sniffing an upgrade unless our flight was suddenly upgauged to a 777. Just noting.

And I definitely appreciate that it might not be a bogus UG, just making a note. Last-minute boarding, pilot in uniform, seat that had previously been unclaimed, etc. But I could totally be assuming.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Is there video of the credit card holders as they realize 135 people will be in front of their Zone 1 boarding? OK, some of the 135 will be boarding with them, but there are probably at least 75 people boarding before them. It would have been worth forgoing PREM or SKY boarding just to watch.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:20 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
I used to wonder why they would put so many on the list, and thought maybe it was just to make people feel good, as you never really knew if you had a chance until you got to the gate. Now with the app and the ability to see your position, they might as well be honest with people and tell them, "sorry, we can't add you to the list". You'd have to leave a fair number on just in case there was a giant traffic jam or some other calamity, but putting a hundred or more is just dumb. Delta dumb.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lovecabo
but putting a hundred or more is just dumb. Delta dumb.
NOTHING would piss me off more than when they used to close the waitlist. There would be 100 on the list but when I get added to it, I could end up number one. Without being able to add to the list, people that are qualified to be higher on the list will never reap the benefit.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
LOL if "MAN/K" on that upgrade list waited to last second to board and asked agent if FC has BOARDED full and got a last FC seat due to a no-show
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:40 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by indufan
NOTHING would piss me off more than when they used to close the waitlist. There would be 100 on the list but when I get added to it, I could end up number one. Without being able to add to the list, people that are qualified to be higher on the list will never reap the benefit.
I know what you're saying, but there needs to be some intelligence put into the process, such as dropping people at the bottom as the list continues to grow. Seems like the crack IT crowd could figure out some better way of handling it.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I know what you're saying, but there needs to be some intelligence put into the process, such as dropping people at the bottom as the list continues to grow. Seems like the crack IT crowd could figure out some better way of handling it.
I think that would result in a lot of people asking the GA why they aren't on the upgrade list.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by indufan
I agree.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
IMHO, that would be wasted time in programming. "Fix" it just so it doesn't bother you?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
OP - I have never seen it that bad - wow 105 is crazy crazy . IIRC - 70 was my record and being 1/27 at ATL as a Plat my most memorable.

BTW I show up as HOW/G which is UG candidate 99 on this list (it was not me though!!)
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Proof that FO should be discontinued.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
If you're going to go there, may as well discontinue GM and PM too.

But there's more to status than UGs. Which I'm thankful for since I about never see an UG!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
You don’t have to be a DM to get an upgrade LGA-BTV or MSN-MSP. Some of us fly enough for both work and leisure that FO is actually a huge benefit with the occasional UG, discounted EC, etc.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Be thankful you cleared into F on that flight even as a diamond. If you want to fly to LAX or SFO from DTW on a Monday morning in first, even as a diamond you should plan on paying for first or riding in the back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.