Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
United is not granting the credit card waiver on their top tier. They are requiring the top spend. But Uniteds top tier is easier to achieve than Delta diamond.
Actually you can make an argument that hitting Diamond is easier. With $60K Reserve spend, only need to fly 95K instead of 100K and because of the cc spend waiver, possibly less expensive tickets. Expecting to see the number of UA 1k’s drop next year, not expecting to see the number of DL Diamonds dropping at all.

I think sometimes giving status via credit cards can hurt a company. I used to give both Hilton and Hyatt a lot of nights. Now that I can get diamond with just credit card spend at Hilton and a nice elite credit status towards diamond with the Hyatt credit card, next year I am going to spend $40K on both credit cards and concentrate on enough nights at Hyatt for Diamond, and I'll have Hilton diamond regardless and can concentrate on getting status with SPG. In my case Hilton and Hyatt are giving me benefits but giving SPG a lot more of my business due to their credit cards.
So what you are saying is you use Hilton/Hyatt credit cards to hit status, then stay at SPG properties to get status there? Since the companies are making money from your cc spend, the only one getting hurt here is yourself.

Again, the only benefit of status is when you use it. Certainly others do this as well but why anyone would use a cc just to get status and then not use those benefits sails over my head.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
On a different note in regard to MQD's. This year marks the first time I've done a true mileage run. I've already attained the MQD's needed for platinum status but my MQM's/MQS would only maintain me at gold status. So I made a quick day trip to ensure that I get the status that I'm paying for.
I am curious how the MQDs will play out. I can see a lot of people with a lot of MQDs starting to complain when they are in your situation.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Here, here! Bought a B fare STL-DTW $482 OW this week because I HAD to GO at the last-minute. I sat in coach, while lower-elite and DEFINITELY lower-fares sat up front. When I pay the bills, give me mine.
I thought your motto was Want First Buy First.

In fact, here it is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post20099610

This time you bought a high priced coach fare and flew coach.

Delta has made business decisions about how to qualify for elite levels, and how to control upgrade availability. Those decisions seem to really steam your clams, yet here is Delta being rather profitable the past couple of years. So it seems likely that Delta is largely pleased with the current structure of the program.

Originally Posted by Bigshaker
My biggest and only real complaint with Delta is about their SkyPesos..almost not worth earning miles since you can't use them to get anywhere.
If you don't want to use your SkyPesos, I will happily take them off your hands. I'm going to NZ (via Australia) for 150K miles and the US to Australia segments are both in BE.

It's a lot of work to find seats, but as many here have noted, it can be done.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Sep 24, 2013 at 8:13 am
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DiverDave
If you don't want to use your SkyPesos, I will happily take them off your hands. I'm going to NZ (via Australia) for 150K miles and the US to Australia segments are both in BE.
It's a lot of work to find seats, but as many here have noted, it can be done.
David
Very sweet indeed.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Very sweet indeed.
Damn. Seriously? What dates, I'm going to join.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Proof that FO should be discontinued.
Really? I would leave DL in an instant if my FO status went away.

I get upgrades at least half the time I fly domestically (hello weekend trips). I got an intl Op Up this year. But UGs are just icing on the cake. For someone who isn't flying every week, FO is still worth it for free EC at check in, free bags, priority check in (I waited in line behind 1 person at CDG versus about 1,000 in the regular check in line), etc.

FOs may not fly as much each as DMs, but there are a heck of a lot more of us... so in the aggregate, I'm sure that the FO program is quite valuable to DL. If DL can keep us loyal just by appending our name to the 105-person UG list, why not?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0
FOs may not fly as much each as DMs, but there are a heck of a lot more of us... so in the aggregate, I'm sure that the FO program is quite valuable to DL. If DL can keep us loyal just by appending our name to the 105-person UG list, why not?
This is the key to DL's thinking. If FO and GM are the bottom of the pyramid, and they all spend enough to keep DL afloat, then those won't get discontinued. If suddenly one could not get that level of status, then those flyers would just go for the cheapest fare on all airlines, or status with someone else.

I, for one, will almost certainly always fly DL. I'm just FO now, but in my profession as I move up the ranks, there is significant Trans-Atlantic, full paid Business travel. I'll fly DL on those flights.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I was once on an LGA-ATL Thursday night 757. High-fare FO at the time, and I think I was still in the 130s or 140s after BFUGs had cleared. There were a dozen or so people behind me.

The scrum that happened during SP boarding was quite a sight. With just my briefcase in hand, I waited until Zone 2 and leisurely boarded with the 2 other people left in the gatehouse.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by mbwmbw
Damn. Seriously? What dates, I'm going to join.
I actually have two itineraries. One departs late October and one departs late January, both going straight into AKL. The October itinerary returns from SYD in November (couldn't get award ticket trans-Tasman), but the January itinerary returns from ZQN in February with a few days in SYD on the way back. A real jewel of an agent put together the January ticket, and she earned some JWD certificates.

The late October one will get cancelled pretty shortly unless a government shutdown results in my company sending us home. I just don't have enough time to get ready for a late October trip (haven't even gotten GE yet), but if I get furloughed then I would have plenty of time.

It's peak season to Oceania, so the transpac flights are on Virgin Australia, though there is some availability into Australia on KE connecting via ICN. Delta BE availability is all medium with a lot of dates showing only high level.

Transpac segments are BE, everything else is coach. It was literally more difficult to find a low level coach award HSV-LAX than to find a BE award LAX-BNE. Everything has to be low, or the system breaks it into multiple tickets and prices accordingly.

David
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I thought your motto was Want First Buy First.

In fact, here it is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post20099610

This time you bought a high priced coach fare and flew coach.

Delta has made business decisions about how to qualify for elite levels, and how to control upgrade availability. Those decisions seem to really steam your clams, yet here is Delta being rather profitable the past couple of years. So it seems likely that Delta is largely pleased with the current structure of the program.

David
I would have gladly purchased F if it had been available. I had other segments STLDTW during the week back-and-forth as I was commuting in and out of a seminar. Those other upgrades cleared waaaaay out.

There should be F available for purchase or upgrade to high-fare passengers.

I am sure the way things are going, we will continue to see them become more and more available. DL seems to be making early steps towards narrowing the field.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Impressive, NEVER seen anything over 100. And DL still thinks there aren't enough elites...
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I am surprised Delta was so hard up for a seat they would give you miles and code an award ticket as paid to give almost 3K MQMs. IME Delta never oversells first class so not sure how you could demand IDB compensation.
You're forgetting that MBWMBW is a DOUBLE DIAMOND DOUBLE DYKWIA! Delta GAs save an FC BP just in case he should show up on one his FA-chasing MRs. (At least he -thinks- this is how it works!) Kinda like in the old days, when every Hertz counter in the world had an OJ Simpson reservation envelope in plain sight on the board 24/7. (Long before OJ's tragic fall from grace).

Last edited by johnslloyd; Sep 24, 2013 at 6:45 pm
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:49 pm

The MQD would be great IF they weren't waiving the requirement or $25K in Am Ex charges. Delta needs to eliminate MQM's through Am Ex and rollover miles and gifting status, and NOT waive the MQD requirement with $25k in Am Ex spend and that would TRULY thin out the ranks and give status to those who fly.
Not going to happen. DL makes a pretty penny off Amex. I'm sure Amex buys plenty of MQMs for people who never make it past silver and at most cost DL the 25% bonus miles.

What may happen eventually is DL will start restricting the MQD exemption to Reserve and Plat Amex. But not until they have had a couple years of promoting the exemption on the Amex cards to get people in the door in the first place.

Originally Posted by dEagleS
Since gifting only applies to FO, or GM:
1) These people probably don't fly often, so they aren't competing nearly as much for benefits.
2) Someone who flies more often, say PM or DM, will typically not be competing with an FO or GM, anyway.*

*I guess, priority seating may be the only place, but even at FO you have to pay for EC.

Whether the list was 20 long, or 100 long, it doesn't impact the top end of the list, as those with lowest status & fare basis are appended to the bottom. Lopping off the bottom 2/3 of the list doesn't matter much. Right?
Gifting is irrelevant but not entirely because they are at the end of the line. If you get gifted status it doesn't do anything with the MQM accumulators for the next program year. You might be a GM by gift but it doesn't give you a head start on the qualifying for it the next year.

Originally Posted by orr333
OTOH, I made silver 2 years with PMNW without hitting the required miles or segments. I guess I made it for having some full or higher fares mixed in. One year, I was quite a bit short. So, even there was a status given without full BIS miles/segments.
NW had a very sophisticated CRM system that tied heavily into actual revenue and margin. But in all the years I was in the FT forum the complaint was empty seats in F at wheels up, not a huge BF UPG list. It was pretty common to talk about non-status folks on full Y getting a comp UPG.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Starting to believe mass elite inflation is a DL strategy to create feeling of shortage of F seats, leading to WFBF impulsiveness. The classic FCM ploy. Nice try DL, didn't work with me.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by motytrah
Not going to happen. DL makes a pretty penny off Amex. I'm sure Amex buys plenty of MQMs for people who never make it past silver and at most cost DL the 25% bonus miles.
I am pretty sure Delta is still "paying debt" back to AMEX instead of making a pretty penny. Without AMEX, there might not still be a Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.