Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG-Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the tickets were purchased at different times, you and son cannot be on the same PNR.
Thank you for the clarification and you are correct they are not on the same but are linked together. I should have been more clear.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
There is no way DL can link PNRs.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
There is no way DL can link PNRs.
Of course they can...and do. But it is only a note added to the reservation, not electronic linking.

OP may have requested a companion upgrade, but that doesn't explain why he and his son were separated on the UG list.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by DLFan2
Of course they can...and do. But it is only a note added to the reservation, not electronic linking.

OP may have requested a companion upgrade, but that doesn't explain why he and his son were separated on the UG list.
Other than buying the ticket over the phone to make sure we were on the same flights and to try to get seats together, I didnt ask.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the tickets were purchased at different times, you and son cannot be on the same PNR.
DL can link separate PNRs but not combine them. As such, this is exactly right. When I've done this before, it never shows my wife's or children's status as "upgrade requested."
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50
DL can link separate PNRs but not combine them. As such, this is exactly right. When I've done this before, it never shows my wife's or children's status as "upgrade requested."
A non-status companion does not have to be on the same PNR with a Medallion to be on the upgrade standby list. However, the status member must call DL to request a companion upgrade for the non-status traveling companion.

I used to think that both the status member and the non-status companion would be upgraded together (after all other status upgrades had been processed), or neither would be upgraded. Looking at the rules now, it appears that if both the status and non-status member are on separate PNRs (with companion upgrade requested), the upgrades will be processed at the appropriate windows, and not together. So it would be possible for one to be upgraded and not the other. But if both are on the same PNR, the requests get processed with the priority of the lower person.

So I'd say that in the case of the OP, his son had a companion upgrade request on his behalf (maybe the TA assumed that this was wanted), and since they were on separate PNRs, each was processed separately with appropriate priority. Linking is something else entirely...notes in the PNRs to help GAs and TAs when IROPS occur so that they keep two travelers together (sometimes works; sometimes does not).

OP: when you made your son's reservation, did you actually use the term "link" or did you use some other term that the TA might have interpreted to mean that you were requesting a companion upgrade?
And is your son a child (who would have to be in the same cabin with you), or an adult? I assume an adult since you ended up in separate cabins.

Last edited by DLFan2; Jun 4, 2013 at 1:18 pm
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:29 pm

A non-status companion does not have to be on the same PNR with a Medallion to be on the upgrade standby list. However, the status member must call DL to request a companion upgrade for the non-status traveling companion.

I used to think that both the status member and the non-status companion would be upgraded together (after all other status upgrades had been processed), or neither would be upgraded. Looking at the rules now, it appears that if both the status and non-status member are on separate PNRs (with companion upgrade requested), the upgrades will be processed at the appropriate windows, and not together. So it would be possible for one to be upgraded and not the other. But if both are on the same PNR, the requests get processed with the priority of the lower person.

So I'd say that in the case of the OP, his son had a companion upgrade request on his behalf (maybe the TA assumed that this was wanted), and since they were on separate PNRs, each was processed separately with appropriate priority. Linking is something else entirely...notes in the PNRs to help GAs and TAs when IROPS occur so that they keep two travelers together (sometimes works; sometimes does not).

OP: when you made your son's reservation, did you actually use the term "link" or did you use some other term that the TA might have interpreted to mean that you were requesting a companion upgrade?
And is your son a child (who would have to be in the same cabin with you), or an adult? I assume an adult since you ended up in separate cabins.
My son is 30 but with some delayed development and I think that when I first called up I asked for help to book the ticket so that we were on the same flights, but I did ask to "link the travel" so we didnt get separated in the event of IRROPS, thanks to the posts here in the forum.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:45 pm

Update
It is Thursday evening 5:43pm and 11 hours to check in and I get an email saying

You've been upgraded! We have confirmed your complimentary Medallion upgrade and highlighted the changes in your itinerary. There is no need to reconfirm your flights—you can view your itinerary anytime.

and a few min later my son gets one too, so the first leg home BOS-JFK in in FC, I know its a short flight but the kid is thrilled at getting an upgrade.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:39 pm

That's great! Congrats!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:54 am

That's great! Congrats!
thanks my son is real thrilled about the upgrade and is sitting here with me and loving the attention in FC

he thinks it was all me that did this...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
106 Person Upgrade List (DTW-LAX)

Hi All,

Flying DTW-LAX this morning after a VDB. Of course as a Double Diamond DYKWIA they put me in F automatically, but I couldn't help but be surprised with this upgrade list:

This shows the list when it was at 105. Another checked in bringing it to 106. Is this normal? I mean almost half the plane is medallions. They almost need more boarding zones for this type of situtation. Just call the Medallions up by status, haha.

Regards,

mbwmbw
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:18 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
As a percentage, I've been on flights where 65% of the plane was on the list.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
On an MSP-ATL flight (MD88), had 86 (57%) on the upgrade list for 1 seat in F. There were 19 DMs on the flight.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
There was a thread back towards the beginning of the year when DL started putting the 763 with the new J product on the ATLSFO route, Monday morning ATL-SFO had the list somewhere between 135-145 people waiting for an upgrade. I guess one of the true reasons to buy F if you want it lol.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
On the MD-90, MSP-BOS this morning, there were 62 people on the UG list at the gate, at least 43 of them GM (based on my position) for three seats. It looked like 12 seats cleared at the DM window, because it went from 15F to 3F at that time. So, on a 160-person plane, 75 had some sort of status. Sky zone boarding was a mess.

Oh, and, just for fun, looks like Shena checked out the flight. I see a JetBlue pilot sitting in an F seat that no showed. He rushed on the plane right as the door closed. Should be some other medallion up there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.