Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Since DL is getting so heavy with Elites, would it make sense to introduce yet another level? Sapphire or Ruby -what ever comes after diamond. set at 200K? or something wild like that - - I am being quite serious even though I have drunk a bit too much Sapphire
Very unlikely, unless DL creates an invitation-only level comparable to GS or CK. Kind of surprised they haven't done it already but if it ever happens, you can be sure there will be a thread of complaints from those who are not invited. With no DMQM promos in 2011, perhaps the DM ranks will thin a bit beginning 3/1 but the number of FO/GM elites will still be huge.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:11 am

Back in the NW days I remember a DTW-DCA flight where the gate agent said there will be no preboarding and everybody is to board when their rows are called. She followed that with the entire plane except for 1 person was silver or higher.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
FCM isn't such a bad idea if an airline wants to continue to make money and turn a profit, after all, thats what the bottom line is all about. An airline is in business to make money. Not to give FC seats away at every turn.

If I really want a FC seat that bad, I'll pay for it or use an SWU. After all, thats what SWU's are there for.
I agree the airline is in business to make a profit. Seems like on shorter flight FCM is unbelievably more (but I usually book far out on a L, U or T fare). I have seen short flights like DTW/ORD or LGA have the buy up for something like $500 or more higher (or course the difference wont' be as high if someone is buying a higher fare class closer to the date). If someone is willing to pay $500 more for a seat than I am, then they deserve to be sitting up front and I should sit in the back.

At least it isn't like Hiltons Nor-1. The kettles can get an upgrade at a Hilton property for as little as $10 and that will trump a gold or diamonds free upgrade. If Delta was offering $10 buy ups, I could see the concern, but again if that was the case in all honesty I would probably also select that option if it was that cheap upon booking.

I know there are some flights I don't stand a chance of getting upgraded on like a lot of flights from DTW to Caliornia or back where I have diamonds sitting beside me in the exit row. In those cases if it is that important for me to sit up front (and there are times where I can expense a first class ticket if the A or P fare is reasonable enough or I have been travelling on lesiure and an A or P fare wasn't much more and I wanted the 50% bonus MQMS) I'll buy the ticket to sit up front. Or use miles if it's an upgradable fare.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by boatnfish
Back in the NW days I remember a DTW-DCA flight where the gate agent said there will be no preboarding and everybody is to board when their rows are called. She followed that with the entire plane except for 1 person was silver or higher.
SO the entire flight was elite?????? That is an upgrade I ALWAYS get, even back when I was a lowly FO. I actually flew that route this weekend and on friday dtw/dca on an RJ with 12 F seats, there was a pilot in uniform sitting up front, and they moved a uniformed service member up front beside the pilot and the plane still went out with one empty seat up front. Coming back last night from DCA first was full, but they moved two people from the back up who I think were non-revs so I am assumign all medals cleared last night as well.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Diamond; HH - Diamond; Priority Club - Platinum;
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Since DL is getting so heavy with Elites, would it make sense to introduce yet another level? Sapphire or Ruby -what ever comes after diamond. set at 200K? or something wild like that - - I am being quite serious even though I have drunk a bit too much Sapphire
I thought that was the Kryptonium Level (sshhhh) ;-)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Originally Posted by Drile
I wonder how much of a sure thing upgrades are on the others now. Do Ex Plats almost always still get the upgrade?
This post represents exactly why I avoid DL and focus on *A. On US, as Chairman, I am 100% on UGs. As a Platinum, I was 95%. As a Gold, 75%. As a Silver, more than 50%. I fly US 50% of the time, and UA 50% of the time. UA is just as bad with lengthy elite lines, but I fly them on short routes so the UG is not important.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: DM MM
UG list 66 on the dtw-slc this mourning
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Here's hoping March 1 will thin the ranks out a little bit.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmaddock
Here's hoping March 1 will thin the ranks out a little bit.
And hoping Delta doesn't have another pomo like last year where they will give PM out to Am Ex members who fly something like 3 RTs or golds who fly 2 RTs.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I enjoyed this morning's 7:05am JFK-SFO stats for their sheer absurdity:
  • 16 Paid J (0J for upgrades)
  • 49 Upgrades Requested (as a DM I was #7)
  • 59 Available Y seats (unreserved after standbys were cleared)
  • 50 Non-Medallion on board (75E seats 158Y)

I'm not complaining, btw, I had an excellent flight in my new favorite Y seat
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
At least it isn't like Hiltons Nor-1. The kettles can get an upgrade at a Hilton property for as little as $10 and that will trump a gold or diamonds free upgrade.
Err, it doesn't trump a Diamond's upgrade. Hilton properties go out of their way to be nice to Diamond's. I have even scored a Presidential Suite for an upgrade. Best. Stay. Ever.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oh912flyer
Err, it doesn't trump a Diamond's upgrade. Hilton properties go out of their way to be nice to Diamond's. I have even scored a Presidential Suite for an upgrade. Best. Stay. Ever.
A nor-1 will trump a diamonds free upgrade at Hilton There have been rooms in the past that I have gotten free upgrades for (like a corner room at the HGI-Times square or a spa room at the wit) in the past for free that now coming up as Nor-1. I can still get upgraded for free but people who fed the Nor-1 monster online have higherpriority.

Hilton (and I think hotel in general) upgrades don't always work like airline upgrades. There have been reports on the Hilton board from diamonds who were travelling with golds that checked in the same day, same property but at a different time who scored better upgrades than they did.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
MSP -> DCA on Monday afternoon (1/16), there were almost 60 on the upgrade list, but it was on a B752.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
FCM isn't such a bad idea if an airline wants to continue to make money and turn a profit, after all, thats what the bottom line is all about. An airline is in business to make money. Not to give FC seats away at every turn.

If I really want a FC seat that bad, I'll pay for it or use an SWU. After all, thats what SWU's are there for.
Fair point, but to what extent. What if DL waters down the UG fee so low that they get pax to jump on it, but do that instead of the elite UG?

As for SWU's, remember it's the same issue. Unless DL releases Z/G you can't get the UG. So DL could play the same FCM game.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
A nor-1 will trump a diamonds free upgrade at Hilton There have been rooms in the past that I have gotten free upgrades for (like a corner room at the HGI-Times square or a spa room at the wit) in the past for free that now coming up as Nor-1. I can still get upgraded for free but people who fed the Nor-1 monster online have higherpriority.

Hilton (and I think hotel in general) upgrades don't always work like airline upgrades. There have been reports on the Hilton board from diamonds who were travelling with golds that checked in the same day, same property but at a different time who scored better upgrades than they did.
Ugh, NOR 1 is evil. Not because of the concept behind it, but because it was used as a tool to NOT UG elites. This is exactly the speculation behind FCM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Ugh, NOR 1 is evil. Not because of the concept behind it, but because it was used as a tool to NOT UG elites. This is exactly the speculation behind FCM.

Honestly? FCM is to earn revenue on a cabin that traditionally only sells 14% of its seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.