Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P
Approved but now what?

Hey all, sorry for the seemingly dumb question here.. but I've applied and been accepted, but I'm curious as to how people are 'accessing' their accounts to get the 50k MR points and get the SkyMiles accounts linked, without having received the card yet. I didn't get an e-mail or anything else with an account number so for those folks who have been approved and already done the transfer, how did you do it so quickly?

Thanks so much for any help!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Originally Posted by Carolellen607
This is a good deal. Does anyone know about how long it takes to get the card after applying?
I just applied and was told my new card would arrive in 7 & 10 days.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:40 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
I'm feeling bummed out

I've had this card in the past so won't get the 50K sign up bonus again. The only charge card I have with Amex is the Premier Rewards card and the ability to borrow points from that card is only 15,000 MR points.

I can't play in this game with only 15K, and Katybug was not eligible for the 50% bonus.

Thanks for using my link for the card and if you have troubles with the one in the thread, it is available twice on my blog. Between this deal and the Suntrust/Delta debit card deal I understand why they have been named Skypesos by some.

ingy
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Interesting solution. Let us know how it goes.
What I don't get is how you can get the MQMs if your Skymiles account isn't registered for the promotion?? The promotion is very clear that if you've done this before you can't register this time around.
I will bet that since it won't let you register for the promotion, & therefore won't show up under "My Promotions", that if you transfer 50k MR points from your wife's account all you will get is 50k Skypesos.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:07 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I would say with almost 100% certainty the agent was incorrect. The promotion needs to be active on the account the points go INTO. Nothing else matters. You can't make you account active for the promo so you won't get the MQMs.

Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
As an update I just called the DELTA promotions desk (800-325-1447) and talked to 'Roxann" and told her this:

1. I did the last 25k mqm promotion.
2. I CAN NOT register with current one with DELTA
3. My wife has NEVER had a MR card or transferred MR points
4. My wife IS registered for new promotion and shows in Skymiles list

Question: can she add me at her MR with my Skymiles number and send ME the points and do I get the points and the MQM's?

Answer: YES even though I got the MQM last time I can get them again due to this setup.

I am going to try it and let you all know what happens!^
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum, DL Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I signed up for the Amex Delta card a couple of months ago when they had their bonus offer. Waited until January 1 of this year so that my MQM associated with that card would not show up before this year. But now I have two questions in trying to decide whether to stick with what I have or ditch it for a Platinum card under this offer:

1) Anyone know how quickly Delta records the MQM bonuses from the Delta Amex card? I'm waiting for my 15,000 MQM enrollment bonus. I'm also wondering how long it'll take to get the 10,000 MQM bonus when I spend $25,000. They seem to record the regular miles very quickly - the day after the monthly credit card bill closes - but I don't know how long to get the MQM.

2) The way the literature with the card reads, it sounded like the MQM were also going to be regular miles (i.e., I'd get 10,000 MQM for spending $25,000, which would also be a 10,000 skymiles bonus). But from reading this thread, it sounds like the MQM is only MQM and there is no actual Skymiles associated with them. Does anyone know if that's the case with the Delta Amex?

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: NWA/Delta GM, Continental, US Air
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Surprised to see this email but the deal is back. Same as last year but note this is for first time MR transfers only so if you took advantage of the MR transfer last year, it probably won't work for you this time.

First-timers can immediately get as much as 25,000 MQM's with a transfer. In other words, instant FO.
I want to make very sure I understand if/how I can do this.... I recently messed up the MQM bonus awarded when I did the Delta AMEX Gold to Platinum upgrade change by thinking I would get 10K MQMs rather than 5K MQMs from a combined Gold and Platinum spend of over 25K. As a result, I am rolling over 22K MQMs and could really use an additional 25K MQM so I can remain as GM after March 1st.

The only AMEX cards I have ever had are the Delta Gold and now (since November) Delta Platinum cards. So I have never done any "MR" transfers. I just did the first step which is to successfully register for this new Promotion, so I assume I am eligible.

Before I do the second step (and pay $450 to get the non-Delta branded Platinum premium rewards card) I want to double check that I correctly understand the process. I sign up for the new non-branded Platinum card and once I get it approved, I somehow "borrow" in advance 50,000 MR points and send them to my Skymiles account. I assume the new card materials will tell me how to do this? Once I do this, my Skymiles account will be credited with the 50K (or 75K?) Skymiles PLUS the 25K MQMs? Once I make $1000 worth of purchases on my NEW non-branded Platinum AMEX, I will be able to re-pay the 50K MR that I borrowed.

I don't really need another AMEX card, and have been happy with my Delta AMEX card benefits, but would consider using the new card occasionally for a few purchases in order to maintain the Skyclub access benefit. I assume it can also be canceled without penalty at some point - possibly after the first year?

Thanks for the advice.... I really appreciate this Forum and have learned so much as to how to maximize my FF benefits.

Nancy
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by rubesl
I will bet that since it won't let you register for the promotion, & therefore won't show up under "My Promotions", that if you transfer 50k MR points from your wife's account all you will get is 50k Skypesos.
Agree with this analysis
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by Nanrid1121
Before I do the second step (and pay $450 to get the non-Delta branded Platinum premium rewards card) I want to double check that I correctly understand the process. I sign up for the new non-branded Platinum card and once I get it approved, I somehow "borrow" in advance 50,000 MR points and send them to my Skymiles account.
Correct- once you log into membershiprewards.com account, it will show an available "Points Advance" of 60,000 points. Simply go to the Delta transfer and do 50,000- even though your account has 0 points balance, the advance will cover you. When you finally do get the 50k signup bonus, they will use that to repay the advance. This is all for free and a huge benefit of the Amex Membership Rewards program.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Correct- once you log into membershiprewards.com account, it will show an available "Points Advance" of 60,000 points. Simply go to the Delta transfer and do 50,000- even though your account has 0 points balance, the advance will cover you. When you finally do get the 50k signup bonus, they will use that to repay the advance. This is all for free and a huge benefit of the Amex Membership Rewards program.
This part makes total sense and great clarification.. thank you for that! I'm still curious though how to log in to the card or get the card number before the "7 to 10 days" mailing window.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by pbohannon
This part makes total sense and great clarification.. thank you for that! I'm still curious though how to log in to the card or get the card number before the "7 to 10 days" mailing window.
Call Amex and see if they can provide you the card number and 4 digit card ID (doubtful). Once you have that, you can create a membershiprewards.com account here
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
If you access your other Amex cards online, your new Platinum card may show up before it actually arrives in the mail. When I added the DL reserve card last year it showed up online a week before the card arrived.

One note about the point advance, yes the Platinum card does give you a 60k advance. BUT if you don't repay it within 12 months they bill you for the points. And 50k MR points is $500.00. Now, if you're signing up for the Platinum card with a 50k MR bonus, that's a good deal. I've had mine a while and that wasn't offered when I signed up.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:52 pm

If you access your other Amex cards online, your new Platinum card may show up before it actually arrives in the mail. When I added the DL reserve card last year it showed up online a week before the card arrived.

One note about the point advance, yes the Platinum card does give you a 60k advance. BUT if you don't repay it within 12 months they bill you for the points. And 50k MR points is $500.00. Now, if you're signing up for the Platinum card with a 50k MR bonus, that's a good deal. I've had mine a while and that wasn't offered when I signed up.
Amex actually charges 2.5 cents a point, so 50,000 = $1,250
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:52 pm

Thanks for this - I already have membershiprewards with my corporate AmEx so I'll keep checking to see if they add the new Platinum I just added. I wonder if I could just do the 50k advance on my corporate card and transfer to Delta, and then replace with the 50k for the $1000 spend. I'll go check! Thanks to you and thepointsguy above!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ingy
I've had this card in the past so won't get the 50K sign up bonus again. The only charge card I have with Amex is the Premier Rewards card and the ability to borrow points from that card is only 15,000 MR points.

I can't play in this game with only 15K, and Katybug was not eligible for the 50% bonus.

Thanks for using my link for the card and if you have troubles with the one in the thread, it is available twice on my blog. Between this deal and the Suntrust/Delta debit card deal I understand why they have been named Skypesos by some.

ingy
Although you wont get the 50k bonus, you technically can play this game. If you were to get a plat card again your ability to borrow points would go from 15k to 60k, therefor making it possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.