Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, SC, Avis PC, HH Gold, Hyatt DM, SPG Gold
I have a Gold MR card which has never received any sign-up bonus points, yet the only offer Amex gives is for 25k when upgrading to Plat.

Is it possible to get Amex to honor the 50k bonus in this instance?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
Originally Posted by chespeak2002
Same question, I usually do 1:1 transfer from MR to CO. My home airport is SFO so I'm hoping to use these CO/UA miles for Asia.

For DL miles, I redeemed some for $100 AMEX GC (11K DL miles), doesn't seem like a very good value at 0.9c/mile?

50K CO miles or 75K+30%(?) DL miles w/25K MQM (is DL silver status useful if I'm in CA bay area?)
Similar question here - I've not seen any feedback on this. I'm already Silver and will be flying enough meet the requirements easily for Silver again this year. Is this a good use of Amex MR points? Obviously, it will bring me to Gold and provide some additional skymiles, but with the other opportunities for 50,000 MR points, I'd love to hear some expert opinions as to whether this is a good use of MR points?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: Delta, USAir, Marriott, SPG, AmEx
Anyone else having trouble signing up for the Plat card? I fill out the form (using a new browser so the promo shows up) and I either get a message about the system being down or a message that they will email me later....haven't received an email since submitting things 3 days ago! Has anyone been able to sign up for this via telephone?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM
I don't see any explanation of how to exactly transfer the points in Amex. Do I just go to "use points" and then click on Delta and transfer 50k? I have already signed up for the promotion on Delta's website.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by thehimalayas
I signed up for the 50% bonus, as well as the 30% bonus, in that order. Made sure that the promotions are active on my account. I then transferred 75K MR points. All this was done in quick sequence about 2 hours ago.

The miles appeared immediately, and I got the 50% bonus as well, but no 30% bonus.

In addition, I got the 25K MQM. However, I still see that I need 19000 miles to redeem for a $50 Amex GC. So I am guessing that it takes some time (overnight?) for the MarketPlace to recognize the Silver status.
Can you please keep us updated as to whether or not your MarketPlace updates after you receive Silver? I'm most curious about how many points it takes to get the $100 gift cards. Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL, QF, CO, Married (does that count as a program?)
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Then yes get the card.

http://track.linkoffers.net/z.asp?ID...000031151S9999

Then link your DELTA account to MR. MR let's you "advance" 50k right away btw. So, send over the 50k, net out 75k + get 25k MQM on top of that. Then spend $1000 and earn the 50k bonus (to pay back the 50k you advanced!)

ENJOY!
Edit: I had my question answered.

Last edited by JAAbercrombie; Jan 25, 2011 at 7:55 am
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I don't see any explanation of how to exactly transfer the points in Amex. Do I just go to "use points" and then click on Delta and transfer 50k? I have already signed up for the promotion on Delta's website.
1) Log into your Amex account.
2) Click on your MR online statement "View Points Summary" (right side of the screen)
3) When you are in your MR account, at the bottom left corner you will see a spot to "Link Travel Programs"
4) Enter your Skymiles account and follow directions to link
5) Back in your MR points summary, click on your Skymiles number and it will take you to a page to transfer points.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Can you please keep us updated as to whether or not your MarketPlace updates after you receive Silver? I'm most curious about how many points it takes to get the $100 gift cards. Thanks!
Just found out that it takes 13500 points to get $100 american express gift cards. I was expected 11000 points as someone mentioned in this thread. Not good.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by karenfly
Just found out that it takes 13500 points to get $100 american express gift cards. I was expected 11000 points as someone mentioned in this thread. Not good.
To get these at the 11K points, you need to be a SkyMiles credit card holder. It is unclear if the Options card would work for this. Or perhaps being an additional card holder to your SO's SkyMiles card might work. I have not tried either, has someone?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by kimmielou01
Similar question here - I've not seen any feedback on this. I'm already Silver and will be flying enough meet the requirements easily for Silver again this year. Is this a good use of Amex MR points? Obviously, it will bring me to Gold and provide some additional skymiles, but with the other opportunities for 50,000 MR points, I'd love to hear some expert opinions as to whether this is a good use of MR points?
It depends what you want to use your Amex points for. If you are really flexble and like Skyteam business class, then you can get business class to Europe for 100k or Asia 120k.

If you want to fly international First class, the Delta program will not be for you since you can only redeem up to business class.

If you would benefit from Medallion status, then getting the MQMs and potentially 50+30% bonuses could be very valuable. Its all up to you.

As a Delta frequent flyer, 25k MQMs are extremely valuable to me and I think this promotion is a great deal.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by thehimalayas
To get these at the 11K points, you need to be a SkyMiles credit card holder. It is unclear if the Options card would work for this. Or perhaps being an additional card holder to your SO's SkyMiles card might work. I have not tried either, has someone?
Any idea which cards qualify?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
My wife has the Amex Gold Personal and can purchase $100 @ 11k. I have the Amex Platinum business and can purchase at the same $100/11k level.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:43 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by kimmielou01
I agree with thepointsguy. "It depends" is the correct answer.

You can transfer 15K MR points to get 27K DL miles. With that you can fly MSP-JNU (stop)-YAK (stop)-MSP. If purchased as a revenue ticket, that would cost you over $1,100. One could argue that it means I am getting over 7 cents/point in value for that itinerary. In reality I would never have booked the trip if I had to pay cash for it. Still, it is a great value.

Same for international business class. Transfer 56K MR points to DL and get over 100K DL miles. Find a C award to Europe (ANC-MSP-MUC-MSP-ANC, like I started last September and will finish next month using stopovers to my advantage) and basically you get a trip to Europe in C AND a trip to Anchorage in F for 56K points. THAT is a great deal. And no, you don't need to live in ANC to make this work. You just need to think and be ever so slightly creative.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Amex Delta Gold, Amex Delta Platinum and Amex Delta Reserve
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by ddallas
To get both 30% and 50% I think it might be important to register for the 30% before the 50% because I registered for the 50% first and when I look at my list under "view your skymiles promotions" under account management, I only have the 50% and the MQM in my list. I then tried registering for the 30% again but it says I already registered, but it does not show in my list of registered promotions. I won't be doing the transfer for about a week. I'll report how it shakes out then. I'm guessing I'm only going to get the promotions it shows me as registered for, the 50% and the MQM.
How positive are we that this is the case? I, too, registered for the 50% and then the 30%, and the 30% doesn't show up in my account. However, I've seen a couple of posts saying that they were in the same boat, did the transfer and they still got the 30%.

Any other news on this front?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.