Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:17 pm

Ignore

Last edited by thehimalayas; Jan 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:30 pm

FYI regarding getting the 50% and 30% bonuses. I accidentally transfered the 50k MRs to a Skymiles acct that I didnt know I had, and obviously did not put the promotions on it as they were on the active one. I spent a long time on the phone with them trying to figure this out (actually trying to make them understand) and I finally asked the manager if I was going to get both. She put me on hold and called the promotion people who said that both promotions would show up. So I quess its fo real.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by barnburner
FYI regarding getting the 50% and 30% bonuses. I accidentally transfered the 50k MRs to a Skymiles acct that I didnt know I had, and obviously did not put the promotions on it as they were on the active one. I spent a long time on the phone with them trying to figure this out (actually trying to make them understand) and I finally asked the manager if I was going to get both. She put me on hold and called the promotion people who said that both promotions would show up. So I quess its fo real.
What number did you call? Did you talk to a specific department? I am not calling anytime soon, but I transferred my MRs before the 30% promo showed up in my account (I did sign up for it, and it did show up a day later in the promos section), and have not received the 30% yet. I will wait a week, hoping they do show up.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by thehimalayas
Very nice. When did you sign up for the 50% and 30% promos? Did you have both the 50% and the 30% promotions showing up in your account before you did the transfer?
I signed up for 30% bonus on 19JAN2011 and 50% bonus +MQM 24JAN2011. Regarding the promotions showing up, they were both listed as me being enrolled prior to xferring 50K MR pts, which I would highly recommend doing to eliminate any issues!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Not easily. Amex will only let you transfer to SM accounts that have names that match cardholders on your account.

To even make the transfer, you would need to have Amex issue a card in his/her name under your credit account. (you might be willing to do this, and you would never have to even give him/her the actual card...but this could create a difficult situation in the future.)

I'm debating whether to try a transfer to my wife's SM account. I did the transfer to my account last year successfully...getting the bonus mqms. I suspect the bonus is determined in DLs system, so we would probably get it if it were a first time transfer to my wife's account. Hmmm
You're wrong about one thing. My father xfer'd to my SM account, and I got the bonus, and I don't have a card in his credit account.

Can you tell me if your xfer to your wife's account gave you the bonus? I'm wondering if he xfer's to his own, if he'll get the bonus.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by tikiboy
You're wrong about one thing. My father xfer'd to my SM account, and I got the bonus, and I don't have a card in his credit account.

Can you tell me if your xfer to your wife's account gave you the bonus? I'm wondering if he xfer's to his own, if he'll get the bonus.
The account that receives the Amex points gets the bonus (as long as it was registered for it).
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:32 pm

Thank you FT community! My transfer has been completed. I had 50,000 MR in my account to start with, so I didn't have to bother with applying for a Platinum card. I figure I'll compile some of the common questions.

Q: Do I have to register for the 30% first, and then the 50% bonus? (or vice versa?)

A: The order doesn't matter. People have reported that they signed up for the 30% first and then 50% bonus. I, myself, had signed up for the 50% bonus when I got wind of the 30%.

Q: I don't see 30% promotion on my account. What happens now?
The 50% promotion will post to your Delta account immediately. The 30% bonus promotion will appear the next day. If you have already registered and didn't see it in your promotions and try to do it again, it'll say that you've already registered (even though you can't see it yet).

The best idea is to WAIT until you see both promotions in your account before doing the transfer (most seamless). You should see 3 entries:

- Membership Rewards MQM Bonus
- Membership Rewards 50% bonus
- Q1 2011 Membership Rewards 30% Bonus

Q: How fast does the mile/status post after the transfer?
A: For most (myself included), almost it's instantaneous (well, give it a couple of minutes). I see the breakdown of the transfer and the bonus miles for the transfer. I also see the 25000 MQM on my account activity page. The Silver Status appears on the next day.

Q: How many miles to redeem for a gift card?
A:
FO with Delta-branded AmEx = 11k for $100.
FO without Delta-branded AmEx = 13.5k for $100.

Q: Is it worth it?
Q: It's relative. It's worth it to some people, not so much to others. It's worth it to me because I had enough points sitting around that I was hoping to use (it was most likely going to top up my Continental) before this offer came along. The silver status is nice too. It also worked for me because I don't need to apply for a Platinum card and pay the $475? annual fee (which could be recouped from this promotion) for the first year. If I didn't have the points readily available, I'm not so sure I would bother with the Platinum card.

Q: Amex points advance
A: For gold card, the points advance is 15,000 MR points. For platinum, it's 60,000 points. You have to watch out for the fine prints though. The fine prints of the advance program is that it's available for people who have the cards for 6 months. But you could do it online. (So it's not a good idea for people to call Amex and request them to do after applying for a card or before receiving the card).

I think that's all I got. Good luck everyone and thanks FT community!

Last edited by BOShappyflyer; Jan 26, 2011 at 10:02 am Reason: updated miles redemption info for gift cards
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
To get both 30% and 50% I think it might be important to register for the 30% before the 50% because I registered for the 50% first and when I look at my list under "view your skymiles promotions" under account management, I only have the 50% and the MQM in my list. I then tried registering for the 30% again but it says I already registered, but it does not show in my list of registered promotions. I won't be doing the transfer for about a week. I'll report how it shakes out then. I'm guessing I'm only going to get the promotions it shows me as registered for, the 50% and the MQM.
Woot! The 30% promo finally showed up in my list of registered promotions. I signed up yesterday morning, wasn't there an hour ago, happy now.

Membership Rewards MQM Bonus 24JAN2011 24JAN2011-31MAY2011
Q1 2011 Membership Rewards 30% Bonus 24JAN2011 24JAN2011-31MAR2011
Membership Rewards 50% bonus 24JAN2011 24JAN2011-31MAY2011
End of Summary of Individual promotions
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>>>>>The 30% promo finally showed up in my list of registered promotions. I signed up yesterday morning, wasn't there an hour ago, happy now.

Same here too! I would be a lot more happy when the 30% additional miles show in my SM account
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL SM, AA, BA, WN, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
All three promotions showing up in my profile? CHECK
Applied for Plat Card? CHECK
Approved? CHECK
Got Screen Shot of every page along the way? CHECK (I ain't no dummy! )

Now waiting for the card so I can make the advance and the transfer. If the advance doesn't work, how fast after the $1000 spend will the 50K points show up? Will I still be able to make the 3/31 deadline for the 30% bonus?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by DLcoop1977
If the advance doesn't work, how fast after the $1000 spend will the 50K points show up?
Usually with AMEX MR points, the bonus points show up right after the statement cuts for the period in which the spend was met (This is a month faster than regularly earned MR points). So you have time.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by thehimalayas
What number did you call? Did you talk to a specific department? I am not calling anytime soon, but I transferred my MRs before the 30% promo showed up in my account (I did sign up for it, and it did show up a day later in the promos section), and have not received the 30% yet. I will wait a week, hoping they do show up.
It was 1800.323.2323 and I eventually spoke to the call center supervisor.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Account Status

Does it take 24hrs for membership level to update? Anyone know, thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by krpjr
Does it take 24hrs for membership level to update? Anyone know, thanks!
Yes- they do daily sweeps
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by tassojunior
Do you have to do the Platinum? (I don't use Delta much)

You can get 25K MR from the Premier Gold AmEx CC opening bonus and another very easy free 30K MR from the FX International Payments promo if you have a business card (SPG, Delta Gold, etc.) and a business checking account (Suntrust or Chase!).

http://www201.americanexpress.com/bu...ional-payments

Also Fidelity is giving 25K MR for new account ("$50K" deposit)

https://scs.fidelity.com/other/offer...shtml?MSC=AX01
Does anybody else know if this would work?

Last edited by booyaa; Jan 26, 2011 at 12:36 am Reason: one of questions answered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.