Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by hawaii2midtown
Just so I'm getting this right, this deal includes:

1. 75k RDM w/ granting of FO status for Noobs
2. $200 worth of flight-related payments
3. According to The Points Guy, likely Priority Pass access (I'm assuming this means lounge access to tons of lounges anytime for free)

All for $450

Am I missing something here?
To make it even sweeter (unless I am off on this), if you sign up for the card now, you get the $200 towards certain payments of your choice of airline this year AND next year - before you even have to renew your card! So, technically, you get $400 of flight-related expenses! Again, I could be wrong, but I think that is how it is.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by runfit
To make it even sweeter (unless I am off on this), if you sign up for the card now, you get the $200 towards certain payments of your choice of airline this year AND next year - before you even have to renew your card! So, technically, you get $400 of flight-related expenses! Again, I could be wrong, but I think that is how it is.
You are somewhat wrong. The $200 airline fee credit is an annual benefit of the Platinum card (not just limited for this year and/or next). When you get your card, and in December of each year, you can designate your "preferred" airline. For the subsequent year, any fee deemed eligible by Amex, up to $200/yr, will be credited back to your account. Examples are: inflight food/beverages, change fees, baggage fees. Some people have seen entire tickets refunded if they were sub-$200, but I suspect this is a fluke that won't be long-lived.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by akcae
You are somewhat wrong. The $200 airline fee credit is an annual benefit of the Platinum card (not just limited for this year and/or next). When you get your card, and in December of each year, you can designate your "preferred" airline. For the subsequent year, any fee deemed eligible by Amex, up to $200/yr, will be credited back to your account. Examples are: inflight food/beverages, change fees, baggage fees. Some people have seen entire tickets refunded if they were sub-$200, but I suspect this is a fluke that won't be long-lived.
Two questions:

"When you get your card, and in December of each year"
Can you clarify this? Do you mean that you can do this twice during the first year?

Do you know if the credits show up as a statement credit the following month?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:53 pm

Two questions:

"When you get your card, and in December of each year"
Can you clarify this? Do you mean that you can do this twice during the first year?

Do you know if the credits show up as a statement credit the following month?
Basically -- I received my card last month and will be designating my preferred airline at some point before my next trip. At the end of this year, in December, I will have an opportunity to change that designation for next year (or not do anything and keep the same airline for next year).

The credits seem to post fairly quickly based on what I've read on FT. I haven't actually used this benefit yet, so no first-hand experience yet.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
I know - I think we are saying the same thing. I was saying that the $200 benefit is good for this year AND next year, before the annual fee would come up again. So, one could use the $200 in fees this year and early next year and cancel after that, correct? That is what I was talking about.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gld, SPG Gld, Hyatt, PC, CBP Global Entry
I know - I think we are saying the same thing. I was saying that the $200 benefit is good for this year AND next year, before the annual fee would come up again. So, one could use the $200 in fees this year and early next year and cancel after that, correct? That is what I was talking about.
Well, the TC said, "Each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits, regardless of the number of Cards on the Account." So does this "a year" mean calendar year, or a year from membership renewal date to next renewal date? runfit will be correct if it meant calendar year.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by lv2vl
Well, the TC said, "Each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits, regardless of the number of Cards on the Account." So does this "a year" mean calendar year, or a year from membership renewal date to next renewal date? runfit will be correct if it meant calendar year.
My understanding is that it based on calendar year. When they implemented this benefit late in 2010, people had to use their $200 by Dec 31 and then a new $200 reset on Jan 1. So technically, it might be possible to use your $200 benefit this year and then again on Jan 1, 2012 then cancel before you have to renew. Whether Amex would bill you for the portion you used in 2012 is TBD- I don't think anyone has tried it yet.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
My understanding is that it based on calendar year. When they implemented this benefit late in 2010, people had to use their $200 by Dec 31 and then a new $200 reset on Jan 1. So technically, it might be possible to use your $200 benefit this year and then again on Jan 1, 2012 then cancel before you have to renew. Whether Amex would bill you for the portion you used in 2012 is TBD- I don't think anyone has tried it yet.
That would be pretty awesome if if ended up being "worth" $400 without even considering RDMs/MQMs and lounge access.

BTW TPG, I LOVE your site and daily emails. Really appreciate the time and attention to detail you put into it all.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
Sorry if I am asking a stupid question.

I remember Delta's legal team was reviewing the situation for the additional 30% bonus in Feb. Have they had an answer yet? March 31 is approaching...

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by howto
Sorry if I am asking a stupid question.

I remember Delta's legal team was reviewing the situation for the additional 30% bonus in Feb. Have they had an answer yet? March 31 is approaching...

Thanks
Nothing yet, but I've just sent another email inquiring, since it's been several weeks since I've heard anything.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:26 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Yes, the MQMs will go to the same account that the points are transferred to. As of right now (under Delta's modified ToS), you would only be eligible for the 50%. I do not think anyone has received the 50% and 30% since the last week of January. They will show in your profile, but they supposedly exclude each other now.
Thanks for the help! Now, to extend my original question a bit farther... after my wife has gifted me the 75K RDMs (including bonus) and 25K MQMs using the points sourced from her Amex card and account, if I get the card *for myself* (again, I've never had the card before, and I have never transferred MR points, though I will have been the fresh recipient of my first batch via my wife), could I then initiate the transfer of my own 50K MR points plus bonuses to myself, thereby netting another 25K MQMs, or 50K MQMs total, or is the 50% offer limited to 25K MQMs (and 50% bonus RDMs, for that matter) per *Delta* account, regardless of the Amex MR account initiating the transfer? I think the answer is no, there is no way - even for two married MR virgins - to score 50K MQM for one recipient via this offer - but I just want to be sure. Any help?

Originally Posted by flymonthly
Before she transfers ANY points, make sure that whoever is RECEIVING the points (i.e. YOU) registers for the promos. And it's probably best to make sure that the promos appear in your Delta account before doing the transfer. Once registered, you'll get the 50% RDM bonus as well as the 25k mqms when at least 50k points are transferred. It doesn't sound like anyone is getting the 30% bonus on top of the 50% anymore.
Yes, great point, and I did do that. The 50% (and 30%, for that matter) offers are both showing in *each* of our DL accounts. I mistakenly mentioned that they were showing just in hers, but I edited my original post to show otherwise. Thanks for the heads up, though.

That's too bad on the non-stacking, but I'll be happy enough with the 75K RDMs.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Just so I'm getting this right, this deal includes:

1. 75k RDM w/ granting of FO status for Noobs
2. $200 worth of flight-related payments
3. According to The Points Guy, likely Priority Pass access (I'm assuming this means lounge access to tons of lounges anytime for free)

All for $450

Am I missing something here?
Just tried to get into the Admirals Club and they need an American Boarding pass with the card. Flying SW today so got a rock.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by bfisk
Just tried to get into the Admirals Club and they need an American Boarding pass with the card. Flying SW today so got a rock.
Correct -- for lounge access, you need to show the Plat card, a boarding pass for same-day travel and and ID. The boarding pass is NOT required for US Airways clubs, so you can use them (if there are any) when traveling on an airline not participating in the lounge program.

On 3/31 we will know more about the pending addition of Priority Pass benefit (and if it'll be worth it) which may open up more lounge options.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
Smile one ? before pulling the trigger

and yes...I have read the posts...all 50 plus pages...lol...sick I know...I may not post much but Ive enjoyed flyertalk for years and have been known to go a lil crazy for travel bonuses like the old 20 partners for 20k on AA...sad I know...but with pregnancy and a new baby I stopped traveling and lost my status...I cant believe i cant even get decent seats on a flight now...so Im raring to get back!

so Im about to pull the trigger on this card and hubby would think Im crazy...Ok...I mean crazier than my usual travel "schemes" as he calls them. So just before I do I want to make sure I dont goof...In filling out the aplication on the site with the 50k deal it asks if I am currently a cardmember for a shorter application...I am an amex card member...the delta platinum card but that shouldnt effect it right? so am I right in thinking that I need to click yes and just sign in or will that effect my 50,000 deal?

thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dealOCD
and yes...I have read the posts...all 50 plus pages...lol...sick I know...I may not post much but Ive enjoyed flyertalk for years and have been known to go a lil crazy for travel bonuses like the old 20 partners for 20k on AA...sad I know...but with pregnancy and a new baby I stopped traveling and lost my status...I cant believe i cant even get decent seats on a flight now...so Im raring to get back!

so Im about to pull the trigger on this card and hubby would think Im crazy...Ok...I mean crazier than my usual travel "schemes" as he calls them. So just before I do I want to make sure I dont goof...In filling out the aplication on the site with the 50k deal it asks if I am currently a cardmember for a shorter application...I am an amex card member...the delta platinum card but that shouldnt effect it right? so am I right in thinking that I need to click yes and just sign in or will that effect my 50,000 deal?

thanks!
i just said no and filled out my application the long way...took a total of 5 minutes....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.