Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by onthegold
One thing I have found is that no matter how many Amex CSR's I speak to, I never get the same answer. I signed up for the bonus, verified that the bonus was valid for my card, applied/received/activated/spent $1000 within 3 weeks and waited for my MR bonus to post. And of course it did not.

I didn't expect it to appear on my first paper statement, since I realize there is a lag between MR points earned and the reported amount on my statement. But it should have been reflected on my MR statement on line under the "points pending" category. It wasn't there.

I called Amex and spoke to a rep (told me offer expired), then a supervisor (told me they didn't see promo attached to my app), then another supervisor (wait 6-8 weeks). Tired of three different "guesses", I decided to go the email route. I did not ask "do you see this offer attached to my app", as I was looking at my screen shot and I knew it was valid. So I simply asked, "When will the 50K promo bonus be available. I am aware that others have received in a timely manner". They responded that they see the offer but the promo ended January 10th. I politely responded that I have the screen shots of the offer, which I applied for on Jan 24, and there was no mention of any expiration date. I also informed them that I am aware that many others have been in the same predicament, and it appears that the problem lies internally with AMEX...They at one point during late 2010/early 2011 offered the same bonus which included an expy date. When they extended the offer, they neglected to remove the old expy date. They thanked me for this info and said they would pass it on to IT. (Yeah, right). Finally, because they "value me as a customer" they manually added the 50K bonus the same day.

Took awhile, but finally got it.
Where did you email and did you have any problems transferring the points once you got them, since people are talking about some new Amex accounts being restricted in either getting points or transferring points?

Also, while I was on hold, there was a recording about how they were waiving fees on gift cards (and even if they didn't, the fee was only 3.95 for a $1000 gift card). Any ideas if purchasing a $1000 gift card would count towards the spending requirement?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Lifetime PL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Where did you email and did you have any problems transferring the points once you got them, since people are talking about some new Amex accounts being restricted in either getting points or transferring points?

Also, while I was on hold, there was a recording about how they were waiving fees on gift cards (and even if they didn't, the fee was only 3.95 for a $1000 gift card). Any ideas if purchasing a $1000 gift card would count towards the spending requirement?
Logged into my Amex acct. online and sent message thru secure message center link. I had previous Amex card so I was able to advance and then transfer MR points to Delta the day I activated my Plat card.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Logged into my Amex acct. online and sent message thru secure message center link. I had previous Amex card so I was able to advance and then transfer MR points to Delta the day I activated my Plat card.
You mean a regular Amex, not an Airline-branded Amex?

So you had an existing balance and that qualified for the $1000 spend for 50k points? Is that what you mean by Advance MR points?

I just activated it and now it shows up in the same online account with my SkyMiles Amex.

Do you need to enroll a FF program within the MR account? I registered on Delta's side for this promo.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
You mean I'm not special? {pout}

Why wouldn't you transfer all 60K with the 50% bonus? If'n you're going to play the game... PLAY THE GAME!

The $150 credit is with the $300 incidental thing?

60000 points is the standard advance available to all Plat MR cardholders. People have transferred just 50,000 because that is the amount need to receive the 50% and MQM bonus, and those 50000 points will be awarded after $1000 spend. I have a Delta Reserve and a Platinum card and they took $50 off the fee of my Reserve card. But just yesterday I needed to change a flight and it is great that the $150 fee will be credited back to my card.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL GM
60000 points is the standard advance available to all Plat MR cardholders. People have transferred just 50,000 because that is the amount need to receive the 50% and MQM bonus, and those 50000 points will be awarded after $1000 spend. I have a Delta Reserve and a Platinum card and they took $50 off the fee of my Reserve card. But just yesterday I needed to change a flight and it is great that the $150 fee will be credited back to my card.
My account is showing 60K MR able to transfer like most others, I know many people are only transferring 50K so when they spend 1K they will get refunded the 50K. So when they make the transfer they get 75K skymiles and 25K MQMs. Would it be wise to transfer the full 60K so you would get 90K skymiles and 25K MQMs? Just so I'm correct if you transfered 60K you would get reimbursed 50K once you spend 1K and have 10K MR to recoupe. (Assuming it's a $1 for every 1 MR, you would have to spend $10K on your AMEX in 12 months.) Thanks

Last edited by bman3241; Mar 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm Reason: Looks like Spiffster beat me to it
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:16 pm

It's in this thread somewhere.... hang on...

found it: post #258

Originally Posted by wco81
You mean a regular Amex, not an Airline-branded Amex?

So you had an existing balance and that qualified for the $1000 spend for 50k points? Is that what you mean by Advance MR points?

I just activated it and now it shows up in the same online account with my SkyMiles Amex.

Do you need to enroll a FF program within the MR account? I registered on Delta's side for this promo.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 4:22 pm

just did my transfer @ 1741, points were in my delta account by 1810. Under 1/2 an hour for all transfers... ^

transferred 60,000 mr points: 60,000 miles + 30,000 bonus miles + 25,000 MQM

amex still doesn't show the $36 transfer tax. somehow i think they'll figure it out....
Old Mar 6, 2011, 4:34 pm

Those of you that sent secured messages about having the 50k posted after you spent the $1k, how long did you wait before doing it? I received the card Friday, and after some lawn maintenance supply shopping tomorrow I'll have hit the $1k. Having advanced the 50k, I'm anxious to get to replace those miles I borrowed.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Got an advance and the MQMs posted instantly along with 75000 RDMs
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Yup

Originally Posted by Spiffster
Amex still doesn't show the $36 transfer tax. Somehow I think they'll figure it out.
It will show up on your next regular bill
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
ATTN MODS!

Mods, maybe the thread "Is 50k MR Points offer for first time Platinum members still valid? (Bonus ID 4986)" should be merged with this thread.

I posted this on that other thread, but I think it's pertinent here as well:

In 2010 I did the 50K new amex plat promo to get 75K skymiles and 25K mqm with no problems.

In January my wife signed up for the promo. Advanced the points. Transferred the points got the 50% bonus skymiles/ 25k mqm's.

The pts for the $1000 spend appear as pending, but the 50K points do not.

I had sent secure msg. Response said 6-8 weeks to post.

Because this was different than my experience, I called in.

Rep says he does not see the promo. Rep says I have to call MR which is closed now.

I am a bit nervous.

I am hopeful that a phone call to MR will get them to post, but we applied for the card basically because of the promo so this would be a $500 to $1500 bait and switch if it doesn't post. (need to spend $50000 to pay back points????)

Furthermore, about 5 people in my office applied around the time that my wife applied because of my success with this in 2010 which is the most concerning to me.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
For the record, there is zero mention of expiration date on that offer.

I looked and looked before and now and nowhere does it mention an expiry date as far as I can tell.

Also for the record, I helped one of my coworkers get the card, once he got the card, we called in to ask if the promo were active and the rep stated that "whatever you signed up for should be working"...
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:12 pm

Just want to check: I transferred in points now, and have the Silver Medallion status. That means I have status till 2/13, right? These are just regular MQMs, so it's as if I "flew" them for the purposes of counting length of my status?

I gotta say, this promo might have gotten me to go for Gold Medallion. I was thinking of switching over from AA to DL, and this may have been the push I needed!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, US Chairman's, Star Alliance Gold, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Surprised to see this email but the deal is back. Same as last year but note this is for first time MR transfers only so if you took advantage of the MR transfer last year, it probably won't work for you this time.

First-timers can immediately get as much as 25,000 MQM's with a transfer. In other words, instant FO.

T&C is here...

http://dmn.delta.com/offers/getmore/

------------------------------------------

At the suggestion of deltagoldflyer, I am adding in this info because of the off-chance that someone may actually go back to the beginning and read this whole thread.

But seriously, it really is helpful for those who want to walk through the process...

Hey - so last time I was planning to trasnfer MR to Delta with 30% bonus, I remember being informed that this may not be the best use of transfer points to DL miles as the value of the miles is lowest in the iundustry and redeeming is not easy...

However, I do want to visit this again - so if i tranfer 240,000 MR points, is true that I will get 385,000 Delta miles (as I have never transferred before..)? And then also medallion status (which I guess is equivalent to gold or platinum for US airways as an example?)

Now - is this worth the transfer? and I mostly redeem to travel international (Asia, Europe, etc) in Business or First..

Thoughts appreciated...

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:52 pm

darn! {tongue smilie, I can't click them right now}

i just checked and my MQMs have been applied. After 12 years, could I finally hit Plat this year?????? Even if it's the new gold? <lol>

Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
It will show up on your next regular bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.