Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Dexter_M
Just an update on my situation:

As I posted earlier in the thread since I'm a new AE customer they would not allow me to advance points. I called AE Tuesday and asked when my points would become available since my account was in good standing and I was over the 1k spending limit. Also while I was being processed the "phone computer" told me I had 50k points in waiting*. The rep told me the card would cycle either Thursday or Friday. I plan on to checking Monday and if they are not there I'll Call AE and hopefully I can get someone to release them.

Also just a side note: I was able to volunteer 3 times in two days earning me over 1k in vouchers. Access to the Delta sky club was huge while I waited for my next flight.

*I don't remember the exact language used

Dexter_M, please keep us updated on how this is going. I am in the same exact boat. I've got my DL account linked to my new Amex Plat, and I have BOTH the 50% AND the 30% deal just sitting there waiting. But the 30% promo expires 3/31, and my Amex account is NOT letting me borrow the MR points in advance. I'm a never before Amex card holder, so I guess like other new Amex owners here, I don't get to borrow my MR points in advance. Unless Amex is willing to cut me some slack, I'm worried I'm going to miss the deadline for the 30% promo. btw, I have already done a $1000 spend on the card, which arrived yesterday (hell, that oughta make them want me as a customer as it is!). The card is so new that yesterdays and todays transactions aren't even showing up on the "recent activity" section of my account summary. Anyway, I'm hoping cust serv will help me out on Monday.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Lifetime PL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by diclemeg
Thanks. Now, here is a related question. So far I have charged approx 3500 to the Amex, (1500 of which is DL tickets, which should be double MR miles) and my closing date is Apr 10. And on April 14 I am flying on DL. Yesterday I was credited the 50,000 only. I was wondering if you think I should wait for that other 5000 MR points before I make the transfer in time. I think it probably isn't worth it due to a possible delay and not even getting Medallion prior to the 14th.

Does anyone know when MR points (and not bonus points) from qualified charges, post? Is it once a month after closing date? Or weekly?
MR points post one month after your Amex statement date. For example, my Feb Amex statement closed on Feb 17 and shows I spent $2000. But those miles are posted to my MR acct. on my March 14 statement. Does your Amex acct show that the 50K bonus is now available or does it show pending?

How do you know that your Amex closing date is April 10th? Did they tell you that or are you just assuming?

Also, DL does not earn double MR points. The Delta Amex card does, but not the Plat.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Do you get the priority pass with this card for one year before paying annual fee?

Originally Posted by hawaii2midtown
Just so I'm getting this right, this deal includes:

1. 75k RDM w/ granting of FO status for Noobs
2. $200 worth of flight-related payments
3. According to The Points Guy, likely Priority Pass access (I'm assuming this means lounge access to tons of lounges anytime for free)

All for $450

Am I missing something here?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by thegasguru
I'm a never before Amex card holder, so I guess like other new Amex owners here, I don't get to borrow my MR points in advance.
I have a related question. I'm a long-time Amex card holder, but I've never had a Membership Rewards card before. I was approved for the Platinum with the 50K bonus and am waiting for its arrival. Given that I'm a first-time MR user but not new to Amex, will I be able to "advance" my 50K points?

Also, I just found out about this offer (via Ingy) for 50K MR points and *no annual fee* (fee waived first year). It was supposed to be good yesterday-only, but is still displaying okay today. I think that if you screen-shot and it allows you to apply, you could still get them to honor it. The expiration aside, I'm wondering if advances are possible for holders of the *Gold* Amex MR card, or if that feature is restricted to Platinum holders only. If Gold members can do it too and all that's required is that you have had some other account with Amex for at least 6 months, then this offer would allow you to do the offer detailed in this thread at no cost whatsoever (other than the need to eventually "pay back" your 50K advanced points by spending $10K in 4 months on your new Gold card. Some help, please? Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mooper
I have a related question. I'm a long-time Amex card holder, but I've never had a Membership Rewards card before. I was approved for the Platinum with the 50K bonus and am waiting for its arrival. Given that I'm a first-time MR user but not new to Amex, will I be able to "advance" my 50K points?

Also, I just found out about this offer (via Ingy) for 50K MR points and *no annual fee* (fee waived first year). It was supposed to be good yesterday-only, but is still displaying okay today. I think that if you screen-shot and it allows you to apply, you could still get them to honor it. The expiration aside, I'm wondering if advances are possible for holders of the *Gold* Amex MR card, or if that feature is restricted to Platinum holders only. If Gold members can do it too and all that's required is that you have had some other account with Amex for at least 6 months, then this offer would allow you to do the offer detailed in this thread at no cost whatsoever (other than the need to eventually "pay back" your 50K advanced points by spending $10K in 4 months on your new Gold card. Some help, please? Thanks.
No. With a Gold card you can only advance 15k points. Need a Plat or Cent to advance up to 60k. So you will not be able to advance 50k regardless of if they notice your prior Amex history or not.

Edit: Sorry, read gold didn't notice you initially specified platinum as well. As stated above, both can advance just different amounts and you should be able to advance right away as long as had a true Amex product and not just an "Amex Network Card." After advance you have one year to pay them back before you are charged for them. ($25 per 1000 MR's)

Also to add all your membership rewards points from all cards, share the same Membership Rewards account. So if you have a Plat it doesn't matter where the points come from, they are all combined and treated as Membership Rewards First points, eligible for 60k advanced.

Last edited by mlad1101; Mar 19, 2011 at 11:12 am
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt
Success and many thanks to FT Delta and Amex boards for alerting me to this opportunity. ^

Signed up for the Amex Plat last month, spent the grand (plus $150 in DL change fees--reimbursed!), and got the 50K MR bonus points -pending- in my Membership Rewards account. I advanced myself the 51K MR points shown pending in my MR account and paid the $30.60 in excise taxes, so my out of pocket expense was $330.60 for the Amex Plat--and received the 76.5K Skypesos (including 25K MQM) or 0.43 cents per Skypeso. A pretty good return.

Now I have to decide if it is worth keeping the Amex Plat next year. I don't fly enough to justify using the SkyClubs for $450 to $250 per year ($450 fee less the $0 to $200 in expense reimbursements). I usually use the DL Amex Plat to get 20K MQM and free checked bags. However I fly just enough that with the 20K MQM from the DL Amex Plat, I can retain some Medallion status, and don't need to pay for bags.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flymonthly
What happens if you check yes for "Already a cardmember" is that it will ask you to login into your Amex account. When I did that, the offer then turned into something like "Upgrade your gold card" with no mention of ANY bonus points.
Same here. No mention of the 50k when I click "Already a cardmember".
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Richard1148
Same here. No mention of the 50k when I click "Already a cardmember".
Yes, I had the same issue last month. I had to turn off the cookies (or something like that) to make it look like I was not already a cardmember. Even though I already had the DL and Costco Amex credit cards, it still let me sign up for the Amex Plat charge card and reap the 50K MR bonus points. ^
Old Mar 19, 2011, 2:46 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by diclemeg
Yesterday I was credited the 50,000 only.
Does anyone know when MR points (and not bonus points) from qualified charges, post? Is it once a month after closing date? Or weekly?
You can advance yourself 1000 points and transfer 51k - do it now.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:56 am

For the people that have done this, how long has it taken for a Silver Medallion level card to come in the mail?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Delta Reserve, Singapore Silver, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
For the people that have done this, how long has it taken for a Silver Medallion level card to come in the mail?
It takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks for the cards. The status will update online within a day or two of the MQM's showing up in your account.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
system down?

Tried again today and I get an error message saying our systems are down....I appologize for the inconvenience. anyone having this problem? Im really hesitent to call in vs. on line.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by dealOCD
Tried again today and I get an error message saying our systems are down....I appologize for the inconvenience. anyone having this problem? Im really hesitent to call in vs. on line.
I got the same message this morning trying to sign up for a promotion. I just tried again and it went through fine.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by ffI
You can advance yourself 1000 points and transfer 51k - do it now.
FYI you only need to transfer 50k to get the bonus.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:49 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
FYI you only need to transfer 50k to get the bonus.
But the 50% bonus is on all MR points transferred the first time to DL. So if one is going to transfer a lot, the best time is to do one large transfer to get the 50%. Subsequent transfers through 3/31 only yield a 30% bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.