Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I am so glad I moved to DFW!

It's gonna be 83 and sunny.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:51 pm

Thanks for all te replies. Im obv not from the DTW area, and I just remember seeing the news stories earlier this month about the DTW airport shutdown, flights canceled bc of a snowstorm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
DTW doesn't shut down with much frequency, although capacity can be reduced and airlines can cancel flights trying to keep aircraft out of icy weather. (I went looking for FAA airport closure data and didn't find any.)

Pilots may jump in, but I believe DTW has much more spare runway and gate capacity than Chicago O'Hare - to use one wintry example - so even equivalent weather and equivalent servicing should means fewer and shorter delays at DTW.

That said, deicing is clearly a bottleneck that can stretch to 45 minutes or more. Your connecting flight will likely depart even before the mix changes to sleet and snow.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:59 pm

As long as you're on mainline I wouldn't worry. If you're on Barbie Jets your millage may vary.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:38 pm

First flight into DTW is a ERJ and gets in around 2pm local. the next flight departs DTW at 6pm local on a 737
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:55 pm

Also just debating If I should try to call delta to go through another city or try and get onto an earlier flight out of dtw (since I have a 3-4 hr layover) or just go with everyone's advice above in that it shouldn't be that bad, and go as scheduled with my good seats.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Thursday afternoon/evening could be icy:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* A MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW WILL SPREAD ACROSS THE AREA THURSDAY EVENING.

* SNOWFALL WILL INCREASE IN INTENSITY THURSDAY NIGHT.

* POTENTIAL FOR SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 INCHES OR MORE BY FRIDAY MORNING.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:45 pm

Yes...which is why I am debating with the options above. What would everyone do?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by mulaman984
Yes...which is why I am debating with the options above. What would everyone do?
I think you'll be fine, but if you are worried, try to SDC to an earlier flight. You can do so within 3 hours of the departure of the flight you want to get on. Of all the DL hubs and hublets, I would trust MSP and DTW (not necessarily in that order) the most with getting me out during cold weather events.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
A wise man once said I'd rather go through DTW in a blizzard than ATL in a drizzle...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by javabytes
A wise man once said I'd rather go through DTW in a blizzard than ATL in a drizzle...
So true! Summer "pop-up" thunderstorms can wreck havoc in ATL with their high volume and limited takeoff/landing capacity.

Good thing they added a 5th runway... and only a 15 minute drive from the airport!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Last time I tried going through ATL in winter, there was a crazy snowstorm and I never made it.

To the OP: seriously, DTW is your best bet. Also allow me to apologize... there has yet to be perfect weather on a day I go flying. I think we'll all be lucky if the sky doesn't fall in the next 12 hours

-J.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Last time I tried going through ATL in winter, there was a crazy snowstorm and I never made it.

To the OP: seriously, DTW is your best bet. Also allow me to apologize... there has yet to be perfect weather on a day I go flying. I think we'll all be lucky if the sky doesn't fall in the next 12 hours

-J.
...but if it does, DL will surely insist that the flight is still on time, at least until boarding hasn't yet begun well after the scheduled departure time!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Of all the airports I've been to in the winter, DTW does it like nobody else. Delays are always due to a late inbound plane or mechanical (if there's a delay at all). I've never been stuck at DTW because of the weather. Their deicing is really efficient (they get one or two trucks on each side of the plane), you really have nothing to worry about
-J.
Sure, DTW never has any problems with snow.
1,000s stranded up to 11 hours on planes at DTW
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sure, DTW never has any problems with snow.
1,000s stranded up to 11 hours on planes at DTW
I think we've come a ways from an incident on PMNW 13 years ago

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.