Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe DL doesn't consider 6" of snow a major event in DTW. They should be capable of handling snow there.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
Maybe DL doesn't consider 6" of snow a major event in DTW. They should be capable of handling snow there.
This. I can tell you that after 6 years in BOS, 2.5 years in DTW, and 2.5 years in STL, there's a big difference between those places in their ability to handle 6" of snow (DTW>BOS>>>>>STL-who is incapacitated by the mere thought of snow).

Should be a cake-walk at DTW, as I recently flew in and out of DTW during a storm where they got hit with about a foot with on and off white-out conditions. Caused us a couple of delays for sure, but got out earlier than others we knew who flew other routes that received less snow but handled it much more poorly (CVG).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Called back Medallion line. Agent said that although there is no waiver yet, they are making changes in certain cases. She indicated that because I have a relatively tight connection to the last flight of the night to YYZ, she'd be able to get authorisation to change seeing as my new flights would be almost exact same times, just routed via a different hub, and that I was not just trying to get a free date change or something.

Given comments above, sounds like I'm maybe being over-cautious, but given I have a 45 min connection to last flight of night, and I'm going to be "offline" shortly until tomorrow morning, this at least gives me some comfort. Great DL Chisholm agent, as always. ^
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Called back Medallion line. Agent said that although there is no waiver yet, they are making changes in certain cases. She indicated that because I have a relatively tight connection to the last flight of the night to YYZ, she'd be able to get authorisation to change seeing as my new flights would be almost exact same times, just routed via a different hub, and that I was not just trying to get a free date change or something.
Lucky you. I'm going YYZ as well. I'm thinking I should follow your excample and call them.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that it's different for DL at DTW than for other carriers. Having the hub means lots of de-icing equipment and a well organized system, etc. The weather impact is more severe at an outstation without as much staff and equipment to cope.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
...that I was not just trying to get a free date change or something....
Yah. Delta has to protect itself against all of us weather-wizard gamers just trying to scab a free date change out of them, and arranged the impending storm to scare them into allowing it.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

Given comments above, sounds like I'm maybe being over-cautious, but given I have a 45 min connection to last flight of night, and I'm going to be "offline" shortly until tomorrow morning, this at least gives me some comfort. Great DL Chisholm agent, as always. ^
That's great. Sounds like a decision using good old fashioned common sense!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think part of the decision involves when the snow is predicted to fall. If most of it falls during the middle of night, it will have little impact on DTW (as they will have time to get it plowed in the morning). According to Accuweather, it looks like most of the snow will fall between 9PM and 6AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
I think part of the decision involves when the snow is predicted to fall. If most of it falls during the middle of night, it will have little impact on DTW (as they will have time to get it plowed in the morning). According to Accuweather, it looks like most of the snow will fall between 9PM and 6AM.
I've been in a couple storms at DTW, One time we got 5" in about 3 hours in the afternoon. They canceled regional jet flights for about an hour at the height of the storm, but the big metal kept right on flying.

The snow removal there is pretty good. Much better than it was in "Airport".....
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:13 pm

It's on the Delta site now.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ter-storm.html
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Detroit, Chicago, most of states like IN and southern MI, begin travel by March 3 without paying to rebook and travel later with the $150 change fee waived but pay any increase in fare.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 25, 2013 at 6:31 pm
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:01 pm

I called in, they looked at my ticket and said everything looked like it was running on schedule. Looked on the website alert and went "uh-oh". I'm now re-routed.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Detroit, Chicago, most of states like IN and southern MI, begin travel by March 3 without paying to rebook and travel later with the $150 change fee waived but pay any increase in fare.
Am I missing something? Don't see a single Indiana airport listed. http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ter-storm.html
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:54 pm

Oooopssss... I noticed Bloomington and thought Indiana. Temporary brain freeze for forgetting that there's one in Illinois too.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
None of the suggested reroutes really work. I may try and suffer the trip through DTW tomorrow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.