Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
your hotel sucks T.H. Old and run down. the FI would have have been a way better choice
My room is nice and a very nice young lady carried me a pot of coffee up here this AM...

All and all it ended up ok.. so far...
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I got a room at a marriott called yannifififiiaisti or something.... I need concierge level... it is just how I roll....
It's Ypsilanti (locals call it Ypsi-Tucky)....BTW: Weather hasn't been kind to ATL the past few days and doesn't seem to be improving for the next week either (something very untypical in DTW)
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by socrates
It's Ypsilanti (locals call it Ypsi-Tucky)....
Never heard that one.

Of course, Taylor is widely known as Taylor-tucky and Waterford as Water-tucky (and rightfully so!).

Hell, Taylor still has one of the last remaining Super K-Mart. Just minutes from DTW. Right past the 'Gateway to Detroit' (that crappy blue structure over I-94 everybody awes over).
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Bagels
Never heard that one.

Of course, Taylor is widely known as Taylor-tucky and Waterford as Water-tucky (and rightfully so!).

Hell, Taylor still has one of the last remaining Super K-Mart. Just minutes from DTW. Right past the 'Gateway to Detroit' (that crappy blue structure over I-94 everybody awes over).
Most people downriver use Ypsitucky & Taylortucky often when discussing both cities (of course they are endearing terms)......but then they never heard Dearborn-Tucky or Grosse Isle Tucky but then I guess it would make both names too long
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Where the hell were you before I took a $45 cab ride? The bar here is hopping, there are 3 dudes speaking portugese watching soccer... good news is some gal with a nasly accent got me a Jr Suite and I showered to get the French off me and am butt arse nekked with the AC rolling...

its good to be the king....
The Ypsi Marriott is a bit old but was heavily renovated a few years back. The key if you are staying there is to build in enough time to your schedule to allow for a quick 18 at the golf course that is attached. This is the home course for nearby Eastern Michigan University and is a pretty decent track for the price (Golf Digest rated it four stars the last time I checked). You can usually get on for a twilight rate at this time of year on the cheap and get a full 18 in because of the late sunset and available light (almost 10:00pm). Just watch out for the water, as it is everywhere on that course.

As for the college gals; both University of Michigan and Eastern are well stocked, but again most of them are home for the year. Also, this hotel is still a good 15 mins from downtown Ann Arbor and the U of M campus.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgoflyer
The Ypsi Marriott is a bit old but was heavily renovated a few years back. The key if you are staying there is to build in enough time to your schedule to allow for a quick 18 at the golf course that is attached. This is the home course for nearby Eastern Michigan University and is a pretty decent track for the price (Golf Digest rated it four stars the last time I checked). You can usually get on for a twilight rate at this time of year on the cheap and get a full 18 in because of the late sunset and available light (almost 10:00pm). Just watch out for the water, as it is everywhere on that course.

As for the college gals; both University of Michigan and Eastern are well stocked, but again most of them are home for the year. Also, this hotel is still a good 15 mins from downtown Ann Arbor and the U of M campus.
Haha, well then next time I connect via DTW, I will go ahead and get a room and bring my styx....

I did not get to spend much time there, but honestly, the room was nice and the people I interacted with were nice and it was very pretty outside. Oh, I will give you this.... that 60 whatever degrees sure felt good... 99 degrees is over rated....
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum
Drop me a PM and I will be happy to show you the way around the course.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgoflyer
Drop me a PM and I will be happy to show you the way around the course.
Will do.... it looked nice
Old Jun 23, 2011, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Bagels
LOL, although both UofMich and Eastern Michigan are nearby, the hot girls are home for the summer.
But maybe if he's lucky he can say hi to the Three Christs of Ypsilanti.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:43 pm

Detroit WX

Any experienced DTW flyers out there? How does the DTW airport do in snow? right now there is a winter storm watch to start tomorrow night and we are flying out of there around tomorrow 6pm local. makes me kind of nervous ...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL,BA,KE
Temps look like they will still be above freezing with no accumulation. You should be fine. For this type of weather we're experiencing now, I've never had any significant delays flying out of DTW.

Enjoy your flight!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm more concerned bc of this :

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...tx&zmx=1&zmy=1

Winter storm watch and calling 3-5 inch tom night.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by mulaman984

3 to 5 is nothing in DTW. They handle it very well unless it is ice.

Biggest concern will be delays in take off for deicing, but they do that well too.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL,BA,KE
Originally Posted by mulaman984

Bad stuff won't hit until after your flight leaves. ^ As longing4piedmont said they have a pretty good system for deicing even if the crappy weather hits a little early.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Cool

Of all the airports I've been to in the winter, DTW does it like nobody else. Delays are always due to a late inbound plane or mechanical (if there's a delay at all). I've never been stuck at DTW because of the weather. Their deicing is really efficient (they get one or two trucks on each side of the plane), you really have nothing to worry about

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.