Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Oooopssss... I noticed Bloomington and thought Indiana. Temporary brain freeze for forgetting that there's one in Illinois too.
Bloomington, IN has no scheduled air service. They have had in the past but never on Delta. I always thought that was the kind of market that CVG could have pushed still using turboprops. I am surprised that SBN which is a Delta market isn't under the waiver.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember that it's different for DL at DTW than for other carriers. Having the hub means lots of de-icing equipment and a well organized system, etc. The weather impact is more severe at an outstation without as much staff and equipment to cope.
I agree. For most Great Lakes cities 4-6 inches of snow is not the end of the world, but this is Detroit we are talking about after all.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I agree. For most Great Lakes cities 4-6 inches of snow is not the end of the world, but this is Detroit we are talking about after all.
Actually, Romulus. Fortunately, the City of Detroit has absolutely nothing to do with the running of the airport. It was formerly under Wayne County, but is now governed by an independent board. No snow yet and flightaware still shows DTW flights running on time with very few cancellations.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM
Winter storm watch has been downgraded to an advisory, National Weather Service is calling for no accumulation today, 2-4" tonight and an inch tomorrow in Romulus. I'm hoping this will be pretty much a non-event (at least by Michigan standards) as I'm headed to DTW tomorrow.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I'd choose DTW over MSP for snow removal any day.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Winter storm watch has been downgraded to an advisory, National Weather Service is calling for no accumulation today, 2-4" tonight and an inch tomorrow in Romulus. I'm hoping this will be pretty much a non-event (at least by Michigan standards) as I'm headed to DTW tomorrow.
Case in point why airlines shouldn't overreact. Sadly, they caved to public pressure in this case.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by indufan
Case in point why airlines shouldn't overreact. Sadly, they caved to public pressure in this case.
What's the big deal? Either they have the capacity to accommodate a change to a pax itinerary, or they don't.

What skin is it off DL's back to show a little consideration to the consumer and allow a little flexibility for a pax. to make a judgement and change to avoid wx (whether real or possible)?

IMO Delta's past behavior with respect to the wx waivers has been terrible. I think this year it's much better and approaching par with the rest of the industry.

Last edited by hazelrah; Feb 26, 2013 at 12:23 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:01 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
DTW weather today?

Today Snow showers likely, mainly after 3pm. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 10. Wind chill values as low as -21. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 15 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tonight Snow likely before 7pm, then snow with widespread blowing snow between 7pm and 1am, then snow likely with widespread blowing snow after 1am. Temperature rising to around 14 by 1am. Wind chill values as low as -11. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 16 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
I actually haven't flown thru DTW during bad winter weather before (always managed to avoid it somehow). With a 1hr layover this evening (between 6:30 and 7:30) and switching from C to A gates, should I be concerned at all?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
No, the storm (an Alberta clipper) is not supposed to get going until this evening, and 1 to 2 inches is no big deal. You are coming in on a regional, so just sit towards the front and if possible avoid a gate check of your bag.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:30 am
havnfn

Done and can do. Didn't plan on checking a bag but I can do w/o it if it doesn't make the flight and shows up the next day at home

Only other option (w/o change fees) is thru LGA and that doesn't land til midnight which means home at 1am...yuck.

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM; SPG Plat 100; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Piggybacking off of this topic, I am faced with connection options of either DTW or ATL every week. Am leaning towards DTW, especially during the winter months, based on the assumption that they handle winter weather issues better than ATL. This assumes, however, that ATL will even be faced with a wintery mess this year. This also assumes all else is equal (price, arrival/depatrure, etc). Can anyone share thoughts/experiences on this, and if you think it makes sense for me to do this.

*Note: this week begins my weekly travel grind (have never had to travel weekly before), so I am still trying to figure out the best options to make the best use of my time. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RDUKingFisher
Piggybacking off of this topic, I am faced with connection options of either DTW or ATL every week. Am leaning towards DTW, especially during the winter months, based on the assumption that they handle winter weather issues better than ATL. This assumes, however, that ATL will even be faced with a wintery mess this year.
Whether those assumptions equalize schedule reliability is very much an open question. If coming through DTW (generally) you have a higher chance of being on a DL Connection carrier with lower performance in on-time and completion. If your specific routes and time happen to get the same mix of mainline/connection, ignore.

I would simply avoid short connection times, looking for at least 45 minutes in DTW domestic to domestic (MCT is 30, IIRC) and 60 minutes at ATL.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
As far as I can tell delta has not issued travel waivers since Sunday. It must not be too bad. Surprisingly.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:48 am
havnfn

Originally Posted by RDUKingFisher
Piggybacking off of this topic, I am faced with connection options of either DTW or ATL every week. Am leaning towards DTW, especially during the winter months, based on the assumption that they handle winter weather issues better than ATL. This assumes, however, that ATL will even be faced with a wintery mess this year. This also assumes all else is equal (price, arrival/depatrure, etc). Can anyone share thoughts/experiences on this, and if you think it makes sense for me to do this.

*Note: this week begins my weekly travel grind (have never had to travel weekly before), so I am still trying to figure out the best options to make the best use of my time. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I typically end up with mid-range fares (L, K, H) and that can help somewhat if you need or want to do an SDC. I'll keep an eye on weather in the connecting city and attempt an SDC asap (usually after checking for availability selecting one-way flts)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I would not worry about connections in DTW this evening. Yes, they are calling for 2-4 inches of snow, starting around 6-7pm but that is the overnight total by 1-2am.

Assuming you initial departure city is not affected, this should not delay that departure, and while it may be snowing upon arrival, should not cause arrival delays. If anything, it could cause a slight delay due to deicing on your outbound flight which will probably depart on-time, but could all be dependend on where they end up in the de-icing que, if the flight is a terminator for the night, etc.

If your inbound is late due to arrival delays into DTW, then likely all flights are experiencing it, but then departures for all connecting flights would be pushed-back.

I wouldn't worry about this one, unless there is potential to SDC to a more suitable option through other hubs that makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.