Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by javabytes
I think we've come a ways from an incident on PMNW 13 years ago
Perhaps. But that's a long way from "...Delays are always due to a late inbound plane or mechanical (if there's a delay at all). I've never been stuck at DTW because of the weather. Their deicing is really efficient (they get one or two trucks on each side of the plane), you really have nothing to worry about..."
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:17 am

Well...delta has not issued travel advisories or waiver for that area, so I'm guessing thats a good sign????
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by james318
I am so glad I moved to DFW!

It's gonna be 83 and sunny.
Ironically, CNN's air travel update didn't forecast any DTW delays today... but did predict half hour delays at DFW!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
3 to 5 is nothing in DTW. They handle it very well unless it is ice.

Biggest concern will be delays in take off for deicing, but they do that well too.
I agree with my friend - DTW does very well in all weather conditions (and for this reason it's still my preferred connection hub regardless of where I am in the country)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mulaman984
Thanks for all te replies. Im obv not from the DTW area, and I just remember seeing the news stories earlier this month about the DTW airport shutdown, flights canceled bc of a snowstorm
I highly doubt DTW was shut down - you can probably count on 1 hand the number of days the field has been closed in the past decade (airlines commonly have difficult getting equipment into/out though due to conditions at other airports which makes folks believe DTW is closed but again the airport operations are rarely closed)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcline414
So true! Summer "pop-up" thunderstorms can wreck havoc in ATL with their high volume and limited takeoff/landing capacity.

Good thing they added a 5th runway... and only a 15 minute drive from the airport!
h*ll...a slight breeze can cause issues in ATL (I hate that new runway....why in gods name would they put it in FL and force planes to drive all the way to the terminals?)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Sure, DTW never has any problems with snow.
1,000s stranded up to 11 hours on planes at DTW
14 year old article - the airlines learned their lessons on operating in DTW since (too bad they the knowledge doesn't seem to be able to penetrate their operations at other airports)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by mulaman984
Thanks for all te replies. Im obv not from the DTW area, and I just remember seeing the news stories earlier this month about the DTW airport shutdown, flights canceled bc of a snowstorm
About a year ago (a tad more now) when Detroit was hit with that 10 to 12 inch snow storm the week of the Super Bowl, there was an article in the Detroit News or Free Press talking about since 9/11, DTW is one of only a handful of airports nationwide that has not been closed or shut down due to weather since that date. Also, there have been no significant snow storms this year in our area that would have caused the airport to shut down, so the above comment is definately not true. The potential snow storm tonight into tomorrow morning has a chance to drop as much snow as we have basically had all season long since December.

Unless you are flying out first thing in the AM from DTW (getting to the airport) or in the first AM bank of flights (might have de-icing delays) or late inbound aircraft due to approaches and landing patterns being spread out, I would expect no issues with flying through DTW tonight (especially as the storm is not supposed to start in full force until later this evening) or tomorrow.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
The "shutdown" incident about a month ago was when a jet slid off the runway or taxiway in fresh snow/slush. Also, there were stiff crosswinds on the 4 main runways, which probably led to use of the 2 crosswind runways, leading to some cancellations due to weather...and there was a ground stop for traffic heading to DTW for about an hour or less, but by no means was the airport closed.

(I had family flying/delayed into DTW that day, so I remember quite clearly what happened).
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Originally Posted by javabytes
A wise man once said I'd rather go through DTW in a blizzard than ATL in a drizzle...
VERY Wise -

I used to tell people that we had snowplows on our airplanes when it came to MSP and DTW - it took a hell of a lot of snow to delay/XL flights out of there...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Current forecast is for 1 to 3 inches south of I94 and the last time I looked (like when I was landing this morning) DTW was south of I94. <lol>

Biggest problem this time around will be in the northern suburbs.

The only time DTW *ever* had serious problems with snow was a New Year's Day storm over a decade ago when a lot of the senior people had the day off and they let one bank of planes leave the gates, brought another bank in and then everything stopped for several hours.

Bob H
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Awesome. I'm on a noon CRJ out of DTW. Or should I say I'm supposed to be on a noon CRJ out of DTW.

... WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* SNOW RAPIDLY DEVELOPING DURING THE EVENING HOURS... EXCEPT A SLEET... SNOW... AND POSSIBLE RAIN MIX TOWARD THE OHIO BORDER.

* SNOWFALL MAY BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

* POTENTIAL FOR SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 INCHES OR MORE BY NOON FRIDAY.

IMPACTS...

* SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY ROADS THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING.

* DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS DURING THE FRIDAY MORNING COMMUTE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

* A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

* PREPARE... PLAN... AND STAY INFORMED.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by james318
I am so glad I moved to DFW!

It's gonna be 83 and sunny.
How were those 40 straight days over 100 last summer ?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by natas43
Awesome. I'm on a noon CRJ out of DTW. Or should I say I'm supposed to be on a noon CRJ out of DTW.

... WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING...

HAZARDOUS WEATHER...

* SNOW RAPIDLY DEVELOPING DURING THE EVENING HOURS... EXCEPT A SLEET... SNOW... AND POSSIBLE RAIN MIX TOWARD THE OHIO BORDER.

* SNOWFALL MAY BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING.

* POTENTIAL FOR SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 INCHES OR MORE BY NOON FRIDAY.

IMPACTS...

* SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY ROADS THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING.

* DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS DURING THE FRIDAY MORNING COMMUTE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

* A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

* PREPARE... PLAN... AND STAY INFORMED.
4:30 in Detroit right now. No snow or any weather issues yet. It's 41 degrees and typically gray out. Calling for 5-7 inches overnight. High Friday in the 30's.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Snow is suppose to be heavy overnight until 6a then completely finished by noon

Shouldn't be any issues at all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.