Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyMilesInsider update: Sky Priority is HERE…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMilesInsider update: Sky Priority is HERE…

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
FO Impact - Can someone explain how they got the shaft? They haven't lost anything, just didn't gain anything. Sorry to the FO's that don't get the new benefits but there is an easy fix - fly more.

I too think SP during zone 1 may cause some issues on the planes that board by 1L but it shouldn't cause extra bags showing up in F bins. If I am SP and heading to coach why would I dump my bags in F? Currently I board in Z2 and don't dump my bags in F - why would I now that I board in Z1?. Non-elites board after Z2 and still will. These tend to be the folks putting their bags in F.

Is Z2 now just FO members?

My bigger concern is the impact to F PAX who currently are not rushed to settle in but will be with the SP Y PAX intermingled with them. The new boarding process as stated has a negative impact to F PAX, at least on the planes boarding by 1L.

At the moment of the Z1 boarding call, seeing the mass SP movement towards the gate will cause more kettles to jump up and join the rush (it must be general boarding right?). Plus, now SP PAX waiting for the boarding call will effectively become legitimate gate lice crowding the gate area and blocking folks trying to get to the podium to deal with normal pre-boarding issues.

Originally Posted by thepla
Pretty sad how FO gets treated considering this is what you get for 1,000,000 BIS miles. Heck with UA at this level or AA at 2MM (Anyway miles which is much easier than 1MM BIS miles) you get international lounge access for life of program and 100% bonus miles.
I don't see it that way. If you are a MM and still actively flying you probably are more than FO based on current activity. If you have retired from flying or flying a different carrier, you are not bringing revenue to DL. Plus if everyone who retires retains SP benefits, over time you will have a huge SP membership contingency that only grows over time (until death). Since nothing was taken from FOs, what the big deal?

Last edited by bwhite; Apr 9, 2010 at 10:46 pm
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I usually stay out of these; but I must say

Please leave the boarding process the way it is; F-Zone 1 Medallions-Zone 2. Its a great perk to NOT have to fight through 30 gate lice to board when they call Zone 1; knowing you are suppose to be boarding before them cause you are in F
Old Apr 10, 2010, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by bwhite
FO Impact - Can someone explain how they got the shaft? They haven't lost anything, just didn't gain anything.
Actually, FOs did gain something - our own zone!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:15 am

Programs: Delta PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DLATL777

Please leave the boarding process the way it is; F-Zone 1 Medallions-Zone 2. Its a great perk to NOT have to fight through 30 gate lice to board when they call Zone 1; knowing you are suppose to be boarding before them cause you are in F
+ 1
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Just as FYI the webpage is now live: www.delta.com/skypriority
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
I want to like this. Really, I do. I just don't see the point. All this seems to be is a rebranding.

Here are the key features, as listed on the SkyPriority website:

--Faster Check-in: the sign that used to say "FIRST" will now say "SkyPriority."
--Accelerated Security: they'll probably post a logo at the airport-run elite lane.
--Highest Boarding Priority: rebranded Breezeway.
--Expedited Baggage Service: rebranded priority tags.
--Exclusive Reservation Line: rebranded SMS/PSS.

I do like the drink coupons, and addition of priority lanes at baggage offices.

But if they're trying to cater to the "Ryan Binghams" of Delta, this ain't gonna do it.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.

^^^ I suspect the proposed new boarding plan will cause chaos at the gate. Add to that all those rubes that spend $5 to board early (if that plan is implemented), and you could have the entire gate area board at one time! This will be a guaranteed free-for-all....
Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: /usr/bin

Once again, I'm inclined to agree. For about 60 seconds after the last person in zone 1 boards, the F cabin has a nice serenity to it. The FAs are able to grab coats, maybe even take drink orders. With a mob of people streaming in (and also possibly grabbing valuable F overhead bin real estate) it's going to be chaotic.

Maybe you should do some test runs on a few flights.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
This boarding process is going to choke certain airports. I was told 1.5 years ago that my home airport (GRR) had the highest Elite members per capita (under NWA). It is not abnormal to see the current zone 2 board 60-70 people on a DC9. This is a disaster just waiting to happen.

I flew in January and some poor guy just made silver, we were both checking in at the same time for a CRJ900 (12 FC seats, 76 seats total). I hadn't been upgraded to FC, and I am a PM, but that is normal out of here. He asks the counter agent if he could be upgraded. Her response was "Sir, the bad news is there are 47 people ahead of you on the upgrade list. The good news is you are ahead of 10 other people."

As far as the drink coupons go, do they really have that many drinks available on a flight? Think about it, if a standard cross country flight has 16 FC seats and there are another 20 Medalion members in the back, are they going to have 36 cans available? That is if they just have 1 drink each. I wouldn't want to be the FC flight attendant and have to explain to someone who paid for FC, that they are out of beer!!

Free wireless is a better option!!!
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:55 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Just as FYI the webpage is now live: www.delta.com/skypriority
We just crossed the 100+ post mark in about 18 hours. We're impressed by the passion here! It sometimes makes it difficult to keep up with your comments, but we appreciate them.

We now return you to your regular scheduled posting

SMI
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by USAF_Pride
As far as the drink coupons go, do they really have that many drinks available on a flight? Think about it, if a standard cross country flight has 16 FC seats and there are another 20 Medalion members in the back, are they going to have 36 cans available? That is if they just have 1 drink each. I wouldn't want to be the FC flight attendant and have to explain to someone who paid for FC, that they are out of beer!!

Wi-Fi is provided by Gogo, while DL gets a (small) portion of the fees paid, I suspect it isn't enough for DL to give this away for free without a significant cost. A few Wi-Fi coupons like the drink coupons we get in our Medallion package would be a nice touch though and could be executed in partnership with Gogo as a marketing campaign consistent with their "get them hooked" approach.

I carry my free drink coupons with me, along with my kids free drink coupons (GMs) and have yet to use one this year. Plus often I don't drink at all regardless of cabin. A single additional free drink coupon will have no impact for or from me but is a nice touch should I decide to on vacation.

Last edited by bwhite; Apr 10, 2010 at 7:52 am
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Thanks for the update. I share some of the concerns about the boarding changes, but will give it a shot - that you are monitoring it eases much of my concern. To me, a lot of this is branding, but that's fine. Looking forward to the free drink coupon, which is a very nice touch.

IF the priority bag thing has really been sorted out, then I think this will be huge. This has always seemed to be a nothing perk at a lot of carriers (old DL, old NW, CO, BA, SK, AF, KL, even SQ), so I appreciate the apparent effort to ensure it is more than just a pretty tag. While you are at it, can you guys please ensure that the Novia folks in CPH get the memo, because they kind of suck at baggage handling.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Thanks SMI for the update. I looking forward to see how this is rolled out on Thursday as I will be flying IAD-MCO. I will be sure to give you the good and bad (hopefully none) of the new SkyPriority program.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by USAF_Pride

I would think they will have to cater much more alcohol....especially on medallion heavy routes. 25 medallions in Y means at least 25 drinks...some wont use the coupon but others will buy more drinks after they have their first free one. That coupled with regular pax buying drinks as well, they will really have to stock up.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: DL GE
I don't think boarding everyone in zone 1 will be as end-of-the-world as everyone seems to think. It hasn't even happened yet, give it some time and lets see how it works out.

The biggest problem at the gate hasn't even been FC and elites standing by, it's that moment the GA opens the door and the FC/Elite pax move forward and the general pax see this and start herding over as well, eventually you have almost everyone who is getting on the plane standing in the boarding area and nothing has even been announced yet.

If DL could focus on keeping zone 3 and 4 pax sitting down I think it might work out alright. Use the second monitor, make an announcement about boarding prior to opening the door. We hear the same safety speech over and over once inside the plane, it wouldn't be redundant to do the same procedure outside the plane. "Attention those flyin XXX to XXX - DL Airlines boards by Zones. If you are in Zone 3 and 4 please remain seated while we board Zone 1 and 2 pax. This will help keep the boarding area clear and help us guarantee an on-time departure".

Maybe even have one of the GAs out in the floor asking people what zone they are in and if it is 3 and 4 direct them back to the seating area.

As far as "squeezing" by who does that?! I can see on an CR900 or E175 but that is a very narrow pathway. Who ever is in THAT big of a hurry to wait need to be told to calm down!

As far as bigger planes, don't most board in the coach doors?

Just give it some time, lets see how bad it really is, if at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.