Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Superorb
These are Amex-network cards, issued and administered by Wells Fargo. American Express acts as the transaction processing network, in the same way that VISA process transactions for other Wells Fargo cards. Amex-network cards do not count against your four credit card limit with American Express, nor will you deal with American Express customer service.

There have been several data points that people on work visas don't qualify, only US citizens and permanent residents do. However some people with visas have also received this card.

If you have some relationship with wells fargo, less verification info is asked so keeping a checking with WF can be a good way to improve your chances.

Wells fargo also restricts CC signup bonuses to 1 per person lifetime. Some people have also reported one per address so YMMV.

You can have both types of Propel cards open simultaneously.

It easily takes 90-120 days after meeting the spend for the bonus to post.

Airline Fee Credit

Once per anniversary year.

It appears that one can wait until after the annual fee is charged, the get a second reimbursement of an airline expenditure, and then cancel to get the annual fee refunded.

Examples of airline related charges that have been reimbursed:

1. Gift cards of most airlines
2. BA award ticket taxes
3. AA award ticket taxes (booked via phone)
4. LH award redeposit fee (charged via phone)
5. Amazon GC through UA shopping app.

Examples of airline related charges that have NOT been reimbursed:

1. AS award date change fee ($125, charged online)
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Gammachu
I can't recall where I read it, but someone mentioned getting the bonus again after opening a new one and meeting bonus spend after closing another one in the same month. He mentioned something about the bonus terms not excluding previous cardholders.
Wells fargo also restricts CC signup bonuses to 1 per person lifetime.
The wording in wiki is very confusing. Does this mean 1 CC signup bonus of any kind per person once in life time or 1 CC bonus of each time once in life time.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Originally Posted by cakelover
Help!!!

After reading people here getting airline credit, $100, I purchased gift cards after AF was posted in my account. After the credit was posted in my account, I called and closed the account. The customer support promised to close account and waive or credit AF so there won't be a balance carried over. However, After two months, no credit is posted and I keep being charged for late fee and interest charges.

I was out of the U.S. for the past 7 months and just came back. I called today trying to figure out what happened. Then the customer service said I had transaction after AF was posted, which was the one for airline credit, $100, so he said I need to pay for AF regardless if it is closed now or not.

What are your cases here? Can anyone share what they did and if the account is closed without carrying over the balance of AF after using the airline credit?

If I refuse to pay for it, does that mean I will be reported to the credit agency which will impact my credit score?

Thanks for any feedback.
Sorry about your raw deal, cakelover. Did you have any luck or try arguing their ruling on the AF?

My AF hit on my recent statement, and I was about to go for my remaining $90 in the second year's airline benefit, but reading your post stopped me cold. If nothing else at least you know you stopped someone else from the same fate by reporting your data here!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Datapoint: used the card to pay for a Lufthansa award cancellation (USD 60) and it got redeemed. There did not seem to be a ticket # in the description and there were these words "manual entry"

I tried to put an alaska award change fee (125) that I did online and i did not get a credit. no ticket # came through for that as well.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Just realized I never gave my full update on getting airline bonuses.

Wife's card: had some $60 odd in points transfer fees with AA, so left well enough alone for the first year's benefit. Totally biffed getting the 2nd year's benefit because I was at work and panicked (stupid) when I realized it was a week past her account's anniversary date and she hadn't cancelled yet. She cancelled via phone and the $175 AF was not charged.

My Card: I also screwed mine up a bit. Anniversary date snuck up on me (fyi for account holders: it's easy to find this date by clicking on "View account profile" on the left sidebar) and I hadn't used any airline benefit yet.
My anniversary date was 10/08.
I bought a $100 AA GC on 10/06.
The purchase posted on 10/09, but the date reported for purchase and post was 10/06. *it's becoming an interesting test case!*
Airline benefit reimbursement also backdated to 10/06.
I wanted to test whether or not they really counted it for the first year's benefit, so I did a $10 SW GC (AA GC minimum is $50). Purchased it on 10/12.
Airline benefit (2nd year) reimbursed the SW GC on 11/05.

My AF posted on 10/31. So conveniently for WF, after my $10 test GC, if I were to buy another $90 one to fill out my second year's airline benefit, they could stick me with the same thing they got cakelover (see above post) with and charge me the AF because I would have made a purchase after it posted.

I hate all this date wrangling
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:52 am
jk2

AF will be charged on my next statement (in December). I got their note but cancellation policy is not clear - should I cancel before AF hits my account or they give 30 days after that? I'm not going to keep this card, I just need to use it for my Serve loads in December to hit $50 in rewards and airline fee reimbursement.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:23 am

I think they give 90 days after AF as previously discussed. I also had no problem cancelling my card and getting AF reimbursement after getting my second airline charge and reimbursement.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:15 pm

Any reports of getting the 40k bonus on this card a second time?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:50 am

What is the best way to redeem bonus points, I have no need of Air ticket purchases for travel purposes. I have heard of refundable tickets. When you buy air ticket, you can redeem your Barclay points towards the purchase, how soon after the points have been redeemed you can return the ticket? When you return the refundable ticket, do you get statement credit?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
What is the best way to redeem bonus points, I have no need of Air ticket purchases for travel purposes. I have heard of refundable tickets. When you buy air ticket, you can redeem your Barclay points towards the purchase, how soon after the points have been redeemed you can return the ticket? When you return the refundable ticket, do you get statement credit?
I believe there is a straightforward way to get a statement credit and at a good rate.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I believe there is a straightforward way to get a statement credit and at a good rate.
And can you elaborate on what that straightforward way is? Non airline credits are half the rate.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
And can you elaborate on what that straightforward way is? Non airline credits are half the rate.
Under Use Miles - Redeem to account. There is an option to get a check or a credit to CC or checking account. I believe it is 1 cent/mile
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Under Use Miles - Redeem to account. There is an option to get a check or a credit to CC or checking account. I believe it is 1 cent/mile

I think we got Barclay mixed up with Wells Fargo . Yes, for WF, you can easily redeem points for money.

Last edited by nfpa70e; Dec 3, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:39 pm

I am trying to redeem points for flights, but only get 1c/point, how are people getting 1.5c/point? I have both the propel world and 365 cards.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Far too many
Closing card

1. In the last days of my 12th month of cardmembership, before the AF posted, I phoned to ask if an airline fee reembursement was available. (the second on the account.) The CR said yes.

I sent a secure message to confirm. WF confirmed.

I contributed $100 to a UA gift registry.

When no reimbursement showed after 5 days, I sent another SM asking for the Statement Credit. The response: no statement credit until after the account anniversary.

I decided against a fight, waited for the AF to post, then made another $100 contribution to a UA gift registry. The credit posted a few days later.

2. I used orphan points on the account to pay for part of an amazon GC, and paid for the remaining part with a CC.

3. I sent an SM to cancel the account and reverse the AF. No response. I phoned to do the same. The CR said he would cancel the account and that it qualified for a refund of the annual fee. He read me the cancellation disclosures, the said the card was cancelled, and the fee waived. He offered to send me a confirmation letter, which I accepted.

4. I learned that the WF CSRs cannot be relied on; that the air reimbursement actually has to await the account anniversary no matter what they say; and that there is not a problem getting the annual fee reversed after it posts, even with a purchase on the card after the fee posts, at least for a couple of weeks, assuming the fee actually does get reversed. I will post again if it does not.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
So my profile says 'Date opened 12/16/14' and my letter says it will be charged in Jan. Is it safe to wait until I see the AF entry post in online account to get the new year's benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.