Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Superorb
These are Amex-network cards, issued and administered by Wells Fargo. American Express acts as the transaction processing network, in the same way that VISA process transactions for other Wells Fargo cards. Amex-network cards do not count against your four credit card limit with American Express, nor will you deal with American Express customer service.

There have been several data points that people on work visas don't qualify, only US citizens and permanent residents do. However some people with visas have also received this card.

If you have some relationship with wells fargo, less verification info is asked so keeping a checking with WF can be a good way to improve your chances.

Wells fargo also restricts CC signup bonuses to 1 per person lifetime. Some people have also reported one per address so YMMV.

You can have both types of Propel cards open simultaneously.

It easily takes 90-120 days after meeting the spend for the bonus to post.

Airline Fee Credit

Once per anniversary year.

It appears that one can wait until after the annual fee is charged, the get a second reimbursement of an airline expenditure, and then cancel to get the annual fee refunded.

Examples of airline related charges that have been reimbursed:

1. Gift cards of most airlines
2. BA award ticket taxes
3. AA award ticket taxes (booked via phone)
4. LH award redeposit fee (charged via phone)
5. Amazon GC through UA shopping app.

Examples of airline related charges that have NOT been reimbursed:

1. AS award date change fee ($125, charged online)
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by giddyforpoints
Update: Just wanted to confirm that MileagePlusX purchases are credit as airline incidental and is credited back to your account
How long did it take for you to get credit and how much was the GC? I bought a $100 GC on 2/9 and still have not got a credit.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
How long did it take for you to get credit and how much was the GC? I bought a $100 GC on 2/9 and still have not got a credit.
Bought a $50 Amazon gift card and was reimbursed in 3 days. You might want to call the cust service rep to see if they can manually adjust it. I read that this will work
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:21 pm

Alaska Airlines buy miles? Credited?

anyone have experience with buying miles on Alaska air website being credited on the WF Propel?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:26 am
jk2

delete
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by giddyforpoints
Bought a $50 Amazon gift card and was reimbursed in 3 days. You might want to call the cust service rep to see if they can manually adjust it. I read that this will work
What do FTers think about contacting customer service? Will doing so alert them to this trick and enable them to shut it down? Or should I just buy a $50 card?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Gammachu
No
How do you get approved without a checking account? When I called I was told I absolutely needed an existing banking relationship unless I go into a branch. Which I don't want to do, so is there a way to apply online without an existing relationship?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do FTers think about contacting customer service? Will doing so alert them to this trick and enable them to shut it down? Or should I just buy a $50 card?
Contacted CS and they mentioned that the credit is per anniversary year, not calendar year. Per the T&C:

Each Wells Fargo Propel World American Express® Card Account will be eligible to receive credit totaling up to $100 per year for airline qualifying charges
This appears to be calendar year, am I right?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:16 am

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The language American Express has for the PRG and Platinum airline credits explicitly mention "per calendar year."
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wyfind
Unfortunately, I don't think so.
so calendar year or anniversary year?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:16 pm

so calendar year or anniversary year?
It is 100% per anniversary year.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nick92
How do you get approved without a checking account? When I called I was told I absolutely needed an existing banking relationship unless I go into a branch. Which I don't want to do, so is there a way to apply online without an existing relationship?
Having a mortgage helps as having a banking relationship with them. I don't have any deposit accounts with them, although it would be easier of course than getting a mortgage with them. It was just convenience on my part that I happen to have a mortgage with them.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:08 pm

I had recent success with using the $100 credit through MPX after the anniversary date and then cancelling and getting a full refund for the annual fee. It's working as expected.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by mymyles
anyone have experience with buying miles on Alaska air website being credited on the WF Propel?
this worked for me, and was credited on my WF account.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:54 pm

As of 3/13/2016, flight redemption value is 1 cent per point. A $300 ticket will cost you 30,000 points. So now, the best redemption option is probably cash back at also 1 cent per point. Both the Propel word card and the Propel 360 card have essentially became a cash back card masked as a travel card.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to have the Visa Signature card to get 1.5 cents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.