Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Superorb
These are Amex-network cards, issued and administered by Wells Fargo. American Express acts as the transaction processing network, in the same way that VISA process transactions for other Wells Fargo cards. Amex-network cards do not count against your four credit card limit with American Express, nor will you deal with American Express customer service.

There have been several data points that people on work visas don't qualify, only US citizens and permanent residents do. However some people with visas have also received this card.

If you have some relationship with wells fargo, less verification info is asked so keeping a checking with WF can be a good way to improve your chances.

Wells fargo also restricts CC signup bonuses to 1 per person lifetime. Some people have also reported one per address so YMMV.

You can have both types of Propel cards open simultaneously.

It easily takes 90-120 days after meeting the spend for the bonus to post.

Airline Fee Credit

Once per anniversary year.

It appears that one can wait until after the annual fee is charged, the get a second reimbursement of an airline expenditure, and then cancel to get the annual fee refunded.

Examples of airline related charges that have been reimbursed:

1. Gift cards of most airlines
2. BA award ticket taxes
3. AA award ticket taxes (booked via phone)
4. LH award redeposit fee (charged via phone)
5. Amazon GC through UA shopping app.

Examples of airline related charges that have NOT been reimbursed:

1. AS award date change fee ($125, charged online)
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:47 pm

London dep. tax

Will the $100 airline credit be applied if my award taxes/fees are >$300 (as they are with London departure tax)?

I saw one mention of this, but it was posted as sort of a question.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by robbierob03
Finally got around to calling in to close the card today (again with no retention offer), and was a little surprised that the banker couldn't post a fee credit for the $175 to bring my balance down to zero. I know the account closure is instant, but how long is it taking WF to credit back the annual fee?
I called on Monday and fee was credited on Wednesday.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:25 am

I got a letter in the mail that the fee won't be refunded after it has been charged and I need to cancel before the fee posts. Is that correct?

Also should I wait to charge a $100 airfare to the card before or after the AF hits?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by lodit
Btw, just wondering.

For those buying $100 airline gift cards, what exactly have you found as a benefit for using them?

I read the T&C on a couple (AA, Delta) and there are so many restrictions.

Since most will be using points to fly...hence my question of getting these GCs.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
I agree. I usually only fly using miles from credit card bonus offers and I noticed this in the United gift certificate terms and conditions:
Certificates are only valid for air travel purchases, including ticket, taxes and surcharges.
I was thinking of using them for baggage charges. Is the baggage fee a 'surcharge'? I do not think so--seems more like the fuel surcharges they tack onto international flights.

So it does not seem like I can get much use out of it?

Am I wrong. Anyone tried to use these to pay for baggage fees?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by herx
Am I wrong. Anyone tried to use these to pay for baggage fees?
American Airlines is quite clear in their FAQ:
Gift Cards cannot be used for travel on other airlines (other than codeshare partners), optional fees like ticket change fees, baggage fees or award travel fees, or other American Airlines products or services.
I will have to look for other ways to use the $100 credit.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:56 pm

I would guess that you could use your Propel card to pay for the baggage fees directly and get reimbursed, as opposed to buying a gift card first. (Again, just guessing, I used my credit on a SW gift card).
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I've some united and AA gcs from two years ago and find it hard to use them up.

So this year, I bought a southwest gift card and since I do find myself paying for southwest tickets quite often, it will be pretty easy to use it up.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by aarif1
I would guess that you could use your Propel card to pay for the baggage fees directly and get reimbursed, as opposed to buying a gift card first. (Again, just guessing, I used my credit on a SW gift card).
I need to close the credit card account to avoid the annual fee and do not plan on flying soon.

I got excited when I saw that United has a prepaid baggage fee program. Turns out they want $349 for it

I ended up buying a $75 United gift card with the balance of my $100. On flights to Vegas, United has strong competition from Southwest and I can get a one way tix for ~$100 so I will use the gift card for that.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Gammachu
For those that are still waiting for the bonus 40k to post, my offer end date is next week and points still aren't showing available in my account. Still shows the "Congrats you have a bonus pending" message and also shows the 0/(0) side column. Will update next week to see if bonus points posts.
I'd appreciate hearing an update. I have the same message on my and my wife's cards, though our "offer end date"s aren't until 8/7/2015. I met the spend within three days of receiving both cards.

How dare they take so long giving me free money /s
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
So I cancelled card after a year.... as there was no retention bonus available to me even with 10K+ spend.

Question: was the 40,000 point bonus a once in a lifetime bonus, or can I qualify again after a certain period of time before reapplying?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by elg26
Question: was the 40,000 point bonus a once in a lifetime bonus, or can I qualify again after a certain period of time before reapplying?
Thread wiki says once in a lifetime FWIW.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by patternseverywhere
I'd appreciate hearing an update. I have the same message on my and my wife's cards, though our "offer end date"s aren't until 8/7/2015. I met the spend within three days of receiving both cards.

How dare they take so long giving me free money /s
So today is the last day the offer expires from my account and everything still the same. Still have that "Congrats! You have a pending bonus" message and side column shows 0/(0). I called and they said the bonus should be going to pending status and will be available when my next statement hits. I will continue to update until points finally become redeemable.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:46 am

So today is the last day the offer expires from my account and everything still the same. Still have that "Congrats! You have a pending bonus" message and side column shows 0/(0). I called and they said the bonus should be going to pending status and will be available when my next statement hits. I will continue to update until points finally become redeemable.
Final update regarding the bonus. Yesterday was the last day before the offer expired and today I see in the side column showing 0/(40,000) and under rewards activity, it shows the bonus points pending to be redeemed a few days after my statement closes this month. Longest wait for a bonus reward to post.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:28 am

Final update regarding the bonus. Yesterday was the last day before the offer expired and today I see in the side column showing 0/(40,000) and under rewards activity, it shows the bonus points pending to be redeemed a few days after my statement closes this month. Longest wait for a bonus reward to post.
Thanks for the update.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:04 pm

Is it the case for everyone that you have to wait for the full three month period to end before your 40,000 points post? I met the spend within days of receiving the card at the end of May. Their process just seems really odd to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.