Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wcj
Church and legal....What's next....obamacare, lol?
Now go to other corner and stand on one leg!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
+1. And then once you get that, you will be in a position to sprint when needed. Deals like this past summer when Citi opened the door for rapid-fire churning and 75-100K AMEX deals are worth throwing away the plan and jumping on, but that will only be possible if you haven't been going full speed up to that point.
Exactly!!! If I did the AOR I wanted to do this summer, I wouldn't have gotten the 250K of AA miles, I ended up getting..... Also the longer you are in this game, you will see patterns and know when to jump and when not to.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: United, UR, AA, USAirways, AirTran, JetBlue, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Sigh..... This is a marathon not a sprint.
Thanks FlighNurse - and I agree - I've only been doing this for 5 months so tend to get carried away . Time to preach patience ^.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:27 am

My last AOR was mostly unsuccessful. I applied for 3 cards. I got denied for a Fidelity Amex because of too many inquiries. The guy said I had 7 in 2013 and 4 in 2012. They likely pull from Experian as I have very few pulls on TU or Equifax.

I got approved for the Chase United card after calling in and moving credit from my existing cards with them. I also applied for a TD bank rewards card, which I did not get approved immediately. A representative called and left a VM the next day. I called back and they just verified some information. She didn't tell me whether I got approved or not, but I should hear back in 5-7 days.

CreditKarma score: 790
CreditSesame: 765
Barclays score, which is likely from TU: 780
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:30 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Exactly!!! If I did the AOR I wanted to do this summer, I wouldn't have gotten the 250K of AA miles, I ended up getting..... Also the longer you are in this game, you will see patterns and know when to jump and when not to.

Exactly! You'll know a good opportunity when you see one. Also going a bit slower helps you prioritize in programs, spend, MS, float, bonus points, redemptions, or what ever you've got on your plate.

My biggest expense is only payable on Visa or M/C only, so big spending on Amex takes some focus or MS. This is one more layer of hassle/commitment, but it wasn't so clear a year ago. Now, my Amex apps are well thought out, not willy nilly.

PS-Flight Nurse, I'm jealous of your 250K AA points... I got a couple apps in, but nothing like I could of. Lesson learned: get when the gettin' s good.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP
So maybe we can call it a marathon with the occasional running of the bulls thrown in - You have to be able to pace yourself most of the time and sprint when needed.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ladoo420
Thanks FlighNurse - and I agree - I've only been doing this for 5 months so tend to get carried away . Time to preach patience ^.
Learn from me, spread it out. I did a huge AOR my first time, and now banks are very wary of lending to me since my combined CL is 2x my income. I can't shuffle most cards around since 80% of my AFs hit the same month.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
So maybe we can call it a marathon with the occasional running of the bulls thrown in - You have to be able to pace yourself most of the time and sprint when needed.
It's only a Marathon if the CC companies allow it...
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
PS-Flight Nurse, I'm jealous of your 250K AA points... I got a couple apps in, but nothing like I could of. Lesson learned: get when the gettin' s good.
I stumbled on the citi flood when it first hit, so between myself and my partner we have over 700+ of AA miles... I finally got lucky in this game...
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:15 pm

Job seekers, do you stop AoR before your job search?

I read that many employers these days pull credit reports. If you know that you'll be on the job market at an expected date in the future, do you stop your AoR? How many hard pulls do you allow yourself to have, or do employers only look for "severe" no-no like late payment and miss payments and hard pull is of no consequence?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I had a credit check as part of my federal security and suitability clearances. They never mentioned any problems.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I read that many employers these days pull credit reports. If you know that you'll be on the job market at an expected date in the future, do you stop your AoR? How many hard pulls do you allow yourself to have, or do employers only look for "severe" no-no like late payment and miss payments and hard pull is of no consequence?
The employers report is a subset of the full report and honestly most HR departments are ill equipped to read and understand the report. Inquiries should not have an impact, they are looking at Severe as you suggest, if anything. If you are looking at employment at a bank or handling money, it might be different
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: None anymore
This kind of thing needs to stop.

Your credit report is none of your employers business, with the odd exception for those working in the financial industry. For everyone else, it is a private matter.

So what if someone has a poor credit history? It does not mean they cannot do their job. Policies like this endanger the job prospects of millions.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:58 pm

Recently got an e-mail for a 30k offer expiring 16/1/14 for SPG Amex Personal (10k+20k after 5k spend in 6 mos). Anyone else get this e-mail?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by dwei
Recently got an e-mail for a 30k offer expiring 16/1/14 for SPG Amex Personal (10k+20k after 5k spend in 6 mos). Anyone else get this e-mail?
Lucky you, I just got the normal (10k + 15k after 5k in 6 mos) offer expiring the same day. Was thinking about jumping on it just cause I don't have an SPG yet, but now I'm disappointed lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.