Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 9:01 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
For those specifically interested in travel to Greece, there is a discussion around their government's plans in the Europe destination forum.

Covid-19: Health Protocols for Greek Hotels and Flights to Greece Unveiled
Old May 21, 2020, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I don’t see how this is going to work if the intra-EU controls are going to be done away with but some EU countries will keep their external borders closed to non EEA, while others won’t.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by GUWonder
While most of the countries on Greece’s June 15th list are EU and/or Schengen countries, some of the listed countries are not. It seems like Greece is assuming the EU/Schengen summer tourist season should include some non-European tourists too, with July 1st being when just about everybody allowed in last year can come in this summer too.
It said there may be some exceptions, and I would imagine that the US and Russia may be excluded, if things don't get any better by July. Despite the strong ties and the tourist traffic. I hope this does not happen or it will kill the remaining direct flights from the US still on the schedule.
Owenc likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Finally! I knew some countries were going to decide the economy is more important than over-reaching COVID control. It is the right thing to do and hopefully more places will have the courage to do the same. There can be a balance between protection and commerce. It does not have to be 100% one or the other.
I'm just surprised that Germany was not on the initial list. When Greece was 'closed', it exempted the FRA-ATH flight (which was then halted for a few weeks) And they were clamouring for German tourist revenues, but I suppose that can come in July. Still interesting that they are not on the list.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:47 am

Italy

Italy is supposed to open to tourists "arriving from" EU and EEA countries, including the UK. I know we discussed the Swedish case, which is similar, but this seems to indicate you can transit via the UK and be admitted to Italy.

Per IATA:

Published 20.05.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter Italy.
- This does not apply to:
- nationals or residents of Italy;
- passengers traveling on business;
- passengers traveling for urgent health reasons;
- healthcare personnel traveling on duty;
- passengers traveling for emergency reasons;
- passengers returning via Italy to their country of residence;
- effective 3 June 2020, passengers arriving from Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or United Kingdom.
Goldorak and Owenc like this.

Last edited by Menalcas; May 22, 2020 at 10:49 am Reason: Adding IATA rules
Old May 22, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by stimpy
"wee bit" is an expression. But I think you need a calculator as the EU is more like 32% more populous than the US, right? And the point stands that the Europe has suffered much more damage from COVID.

126 832 deaths for all of the Americas, north, south and central.
163 367 deaths for all of Europe.

Or to look at it a closer way...
United Kingdom (34 796), pop 66m
Italy (32 007), pop 60m
France (28 239), pop 67m
Spain (27 709) pop 47m
Belgium (9 080) pop 11m

Total deaths for those 5 countries = 131,831
Total population of those 5 countries 251 million

Total deaths for the US = 90,353

Total population of the US 328 million
Oh no you didn't just do that...

You didn't just break down the impact EU countries and then post their numbers to show that some countries have been deeply impacted as a way to state the EU has had it "worse" than the USA...

​​​​​​... and then not break down the USA into the States that have been impacted, to show the impact per population?????
​​
If you are going to compare the EU to the USA, and then make the point that some areas have been more greatly impacted than others so that the total number is deceptive for its overall impact, then you also need to break the USA down into its mini countries: its states, and see how NY fares after that...

​​​​​​... Or just choose to not compare the EU to the USA since the EU isn't a single country?

The only people to be frank that ever do that are Americans.
Old May 22, 2020, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
It said there may be some exceptions, and I would imagine that the US and Russia may be excluded, if things don't get any better by July. Despite the strong ties and the tourist traffic. I hope this does not happen or it will kill the remaining direct flights from the US still on the schedule.
I think American airlines would be better to pull their flights, aside from maybe LHR and re-start when the travel ban is removed. United Airlines already flies a variety of cargo flights at the moment, so there is no need to have these passenger flights.

It's wasting money and reducing the chance of the routes re-commencing.
Old May 22, 2020, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Oh no you didn't just do that...

You didn't just break down the impact EU countries and then post their numbers to show that some countries have been deeply impacted as a way to state the EU has had it "worse" than the USA...

​​​​​​... and then not break down the USA into the States that have been impacted, to show the impact per population?????
​​
If you are going to compare the EU to the USA, and then make the point that some areas have been more greatly impacted than others so that the total number is deceptive for its overall impact, then you also need to break the USA down into its mini countries: its states, and see how NY fares after that...

​​​​​​... Or just choose to not compare the EU to the USA since the EU isn't a single country?

The only people to be frank that ever do that are Americans.
Eh? He is comparing European countries to the United States, not the entire EU.
Old May 22, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Owenc
Eh? He is comparing European countries to the United States, not the entire EU.
Read the context of the entire conversation? It started off with comparing the EU to USA and stating the death rate is much higher, since as if was claimed, they are "similar" as the EU is just "a wee bit bigger" and of course, it was pointed out the EU is a LOT bigger and so that accounts for extra deaths and then some, and so then the argument was made that actually we should take the top 5 impacted EU countries instead and compare them to the USA, and so hence my point that you can't do that if you don't then also go take the American states and compare them too.

Basically, everyone's point is exactly that. They aren't a single country so stop acting like they are. And become more aware of the world outside of the USA. It's insulting to say that the EU is just "a wee bit bigger" and the ignorance of that statement is extremely painful that anyone would say it.
FlyingCow likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Menalcas

Per IATA:

- effective 3 June 2020, passengers arriving from Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or United Kingdom.
Isn't Iceland going to open to everyone around this time or earlier? Anything to stop people from flying into Iceland then continuing to Italy?
Old May 24, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Isn't Iceland going to open to everyone around this time or earlier? Anything to stop people from flying into Iceland then continuing to Italy?
Lack of flights between Iceland and Italy?
Old May 24, 2020, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Lack of flights between Iceland and Italy?
Presumably you could go Iceland to another country to Italy. Something like KEF-LHR-Italy.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
On-arrival “passport control” even for some arriving intra-Schengen flights could be a show-stopper at times.
downinit likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
TUI — a major tourist charter flight/package operator in Europe — is saying that it will begin to fly again in the end of June.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
TUI — a major tourist charter flight/package operator in Europe — is saying that it will begin to fly again in the end of June.
Are their clientele mostly Europeans visiting other European countries or people from other continents?
Owenc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.