Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 28, 2020, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Owenc
Europe doesn’t have a cdc.
I think it’s referring to the following

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en

and doing so based on at least some of the website’s initials.

They use ECDC themselves.
Old May 28, 2020, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Owenc
Europe doesn’t have a cdc.
Funny that, I drove past it most days on my way to work in Stockholm!
And yes, the UK is still part of it.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
In places where the virus is already spreading, limits on travel don’t help. Bringing in a few extra cases doesn’t materially change the trajectory of the virus.

It’s generally desirable to limit travel from places with high concentrations of the virus to places with low concentration.
Is it just me or two these two bits of advice from the ECDC seem contradictory?
littlefish likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I'd love to know, are there any EU citizens here planning summer vacations?
Of course !

Originally Posted by wco81
Even if allowed in, would you risk a TATL flight before vaccine?
No problem for me.
BLV and ahmetdouas like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I guess we may learn by mid or late June whether this opening up of EU countries to each other will lead to spikes in cases.
Pretty much all EU countries are following the same trend of decreasing/very few cases. So if you travel from one country to another with similar trends, it would be pretty much impossible to have a spike in cases. EU is probably most worried about US and South America as that is where the main issues are right now, but that will tail off as well in the next month or so; it is clear that this pandemic has around a 2 month spike duration in the countries it is present, before tailing right off whatever you do ; (only thing is measures reduce deaths and flattens the curve, but whatever you do or don't do, after a few months cases go downwards, just at a shallower peak)

The fact that there hasn't been a resurgence in any country until now is probably because immunity is higher than many people think it is in addition to people being very careful right now.

I am assuming June 15 will pretty much have free intra EU travel; 30 June at the very very latest.
Owenc likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Europe CDC just released guidelines on travel. Direct link to the ECDC guideline document:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/def...9-in-EUEEA.pdf
Thanks.
And wow! ecdc should take a study tour to ...
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/def...gers_final.pdf

Easa seem to be able to draft a facts and science driven document, backed up by references and evidence (for the most part).
Ecdc seem to be run by politicians if the ecdc 'considerations' document is anything to go by.
Ecdc have done themselves no favours here. Bald statements and contradictory paragraphs in quick succession. Out of date as to the science. These guys are paid and staffed to be evidence driven.

Short version ... treat with caution
Old May 28, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Italy June 3.
Rest of EU planning June 15.

UK never closed, but let's say June 8 quarantine, so opposite of everyone else, making things harder not easier.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Italy June 3.
"EU" appears to be the 27 EU countries plus 4 additional "Schengen" countries for a total of 31.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
"EU" appears to be the 27 EU countries plus 4 additional "Schengen" countries for a total of 31.
Ireland has not been joining in the external border closures as decided by Schengen and the wider EU. However, any reopening by Schengen by default applies to IE and UK as well.
Old May 29, 2020, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Ireland has not been joining in the external border closures as decided by Schengen and the wider EU. However, any reopening by Schengen by default applies to IE and UK as well.
I don’t see the automatism - neither IRL nor UK are in Schengen area.
Old May 29, 2020, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I don’t see the automatism - neither IRL nor UK are in Schengen area.
I meant in terms of the EU external border ban. Countries that enact that can't block the UK (or IE of course), even if they haven't enacted them itself. Of course they might have more restrictions in place that would stop someone from the UK, for example, from entering, but I am referring to the blanket ban from Schengen (that the rest of the EU was invited to adopt).
Old May 29, 2020, 9:00 am
Suspended

So Denmark’s opening up to tourists from a handful of EU/EEA countries on June 15th is contingent upon a 6-night stay in some Danish place other than Copenhagen. And the Danish opening doesn’t include Swedish tourists.

Tourists from Norway, Iceland and Germany may come to Denmark if they have accommodations booked for at least six nights in any place in Denmark other than Copenhagen. Denmark seems to be insinuating that they may end up keeping out Swedish tourists until after the end of August, but that they may make additional adjustments in part before then. At some point this summer, Denmark may include Finland in its travel bubble and also do so with the southern part of Sweden, but they haven’t made an arrangement for that at this point and don’t know how fast that will come along this summer.

Welcome to the future of summer travel in the EU/EEA this summer.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 29, 2020 at 9:17 am
Old May 29, 2020, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
I’m not seeing that. Denmark has been explicit enough in indicating that it will keep excluding even Swedish tourists from coming to Denmark after June 15th. With Denmark opening up conditionally to tourists from Germany, Iceland and Norway on June 15th but still excluding even southern Swedish tourists on and after June 15th, I doubt that Denmark opens up to US and Canadian tourists for June. Given what Denmark is telling Sweden about even August, I wouldn’t be surprised if US tourists generally aren’t allowed into Denmark even in July and August.
Old May 29, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Greece announced the first 29 countries allowed in from June 15:

"Albania, Australia, Austria, North Macedonia, Bulgaria, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Estonia, Japan, Israel, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lebanon, New Zealand, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Norway, South Korea, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic and Finland.Visitors arriving from those countries could be subject to sample coronavirus testing, the ministry said."

The list will be expanded later for visitors from more countries that can enter starting July 1.

EU citizens not from the first group of 29 countries who are transiting through one of the 29 countries can still enter, but with a 14-day quarantine.

The countries with the most tourists visiting Greece in 2019 were: Germany 5 million, UK 3.5 million, France 1.5 million, Italy 1.5 million, US 1.5 million, and Russia 0.6 million.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:28 pm

Serbia has been fully open -- to citizens and non-citizens from wherever without quarantine or medical certificates -- since May 22. No lockdown in the country, either. I believe it is the first country to completely return to normal. But air services to Belgrade are still sparse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.