Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 29, 2020, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So Denmark’s opening up to tourists from a handful of EU/EEA countries on June 15th is contingent upon a 6-night stay in some Danish place other than Copenhagen. And the Danish opening doesn’t include Swedish tourists.

Tourists from Norway, Iceland and Germany may come to Denmark if they have accommodations booked for at least six nights in any place in Denmark other than Copenhagen. Denmark seems to be insinuating that they may end up keeping out Swedish tourists until after the end of August, but that they may make additional adjustments in part before then. At some point this summer, Denmark may include Finland in its travel bubble and also do so with the southern part of Sweden, but they haven’t made an arrangement for that at this point and don’t know how fast that will come along this summer.

Welcome to the future of summer travel in the EU/EEA this summer.
Would a Swedish tourist (who is really desperate for a Danish visit) not be able to fly to Germany assuming it reopens to all EU countries on 15 June, rent a car, book six nights in Denmark, drive across the border, then have a wee holiday there? And then from there take the ferry to Norway and have a trip there?

Obviously a lot of hassle and not one I imagine many would do, but countries opening to neighbours...that creates a cascade effect surely if someone is driving across Europe? A opens to B, B to C, so someone from A can get to C -- if they're willing to go by land.
Old May 29, 2020, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Would a Swedish tourist (who is really desperate for a Danish visit) not be able to fly to Germany assuming it reopens to all EU countries on 15 June, rent a car, book six nights in Denmark, drive across the border, then have a wee holiday there? And then from there take the ferry to Norway and have a trip there?

Obviously a lot of hassle and not one I imagine many would do, but countries opening to neighbours...that creates a cascade effect surely if someone is driving across Europe? A opens to B, B to C, so someone from A can get to C -- if they're willing to go by land.
Possibly yes to both questions.

Swedes can go to Denmark to visit a “date” residing in Denmark. Even now.

Norwegians wanting to go to Denmark will be allowed in the same way as Germans if they drive via Sweden to go to Denmark.

Some EU/EEA countries that want to blacklist tourism from some other EU/EEA countries are looking at putting in quarantine requirements for arriving travelers found to have used whitelisted EU/EEA countries to transit in a way that may be intended to evade the national blacklists.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 29, 2020 at 3:12 pm
Old May 29, 2020, 3:27 pm

Some EU/EEA countries that want to blacklist tourism from some other EU/EEA countries are looking at putting in quarantine requirements for arriving travelers found to have used whitelisted EU/EEA countries to transit in a way that may be intended to evade the national blacklists.
Do you have a source for this?

My back up summer travel plans, if most of my other stuff gets cancelled, is to drive (from the UK) and do a by-car driving tour around Europe (though early August stuff seems to be going ahead since that country is open then anyway). So I am trying figure out borders but struggling a bit. I wouldn't be transiting to evade anything, I would be spending a bit of time in one country, then driving on to the next. By car, it feels like I should be able to cross most borders, and then just retrace my steps at the end to come back...right?
Owenc likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I’m not seeing that. Denmark has been explicit enough in indicating that it will keep excluding even Swedish tourists from coming to Denmark after June 15th. With Denmark opening up conditionally to tourists from Germany, Iceland and Norway on June 15th but still excluding even southern Swedish tourists on and after June 15th, I doubt that Denmark opens up to US and Canadian tourists for June. Given what Denmark is telling Sweden about even August, I wouldn’t be surprised if US tourists generally aren’t allowed into Denmark even in July and August.
I am interested in seeing the rules. What if you are Swedish flying in from Germany? How does that work? Can you even ban specific citizens from entering your country?
Even in Greece during the peak, UK flights were banned but UK citizens were not, so people flew in via ZRH/MUC/GVA/BRU, etc from London.
Old May 29, 2020, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
From the BBC:

What about tourism elsewhere in Europe?

• Greece says it will start reopening its airports to tourists from 29 countries from 15 June. They include 16 EU countries, but not countries hit hardest by Covid-19: the UK, France, Spain and Italy
  • Spain says that from 1 July tourists will be allowed in without having to spend 14 days in quarantine
  • Italy plans to allow in tourists from EU countries from 3 June, when mandatory quarantine for visitors will be lifted
  • France plans to reopen borders from 15 June, initially to tourists from Switzerland and Germany
  • Switzerland plans to reopen its borders with France, Germany and Austria on 15 June, but not with Italy
  • Cyprus plans to reopen its airports on 9 June to a number of countries seen as low risk, including Germany, Greece, Israel and Malta, but the UK and Russia are not among them
  • On 28 May Croatia reopened its borders without restrictions to citizens from 10 EU countries seen as low risk, including Germany, Austria, the Czech Republic and Poland.
Old May 29, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
Greece announced the first 29 countries allowed in from June 15:

"Albania, Australia, Austria, North Macedonia, Bulgaria, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Estonia, Japan, Israel, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lebanon, New Zealand, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Norway, South Korea, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic and Finland.Visitors arriving from those countries could be subject to sample coronavirus testing, the ministry said."

The list will be expanded later for visitors from more countries that can enter starting July 1.

EU citizens not from the first group of 29 countries who are transiting through one of the 29 countries can still enter, but with a 14-day quarantine.

The countries with the most tourists visiting Greece in 2019 were: Germany 5 million, UK 3.5 million, France 1.5 million, Italy 1.5 million, US 1.5 million, and Russia 0.6 million.
You sure about the 14 day quarantine for e.g. UK citizens flying from Germany? From what I can gather, the countries allowed are flights, not nationalities.
Old May 30, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Hey guys, I have a load of SAS Eurobonus points expiring tomorrow. Was planning a trip from Aberdeen to Stockhlolm ARN (via CPH or OSL) in October. Is this too early/risky? Maybe I should book next April or May instead in the hope that we may be back to some kind of normality at airports and in with countries' quarantine restrictions etc.?
Old May 30, 2020, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Greece opening up to everyone on July 1, subject to random testing.

Gary Left claims get into Greece, get into everywhere else within Schengen:

Tourists Worldwide Are Welcome July 1

Beginning July 1 Greece will permit international arrivals into any airport, with just random testing on arrival. Arrivals by sea will be permitted as well. And while “[a]dditional restrictions regarding certain countries will be announced at a later date” it seems as though everyone, broadly, will be welcomed.

Gateway To Europe

Once permitted to enter a Schengen Area country – one of 26 countries in Europe that permit border-free travel under normal circumstances – it should be possible to enter other countries in that zone, provided those countries are accepting travel from other European nations which is expected.

So even if you can’t enter many countries of Europe by July 1, you’ll be able to fly to Greece, visit, and then in all likelihood continue to France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and more.

Of course Iceland is also a Schengen Area country. If they permit Americans to visit with testingstarting June 15, that’ll be an avenue to continue from there to other Schengen Area countries as well.
https://viewfromthewing.com/its-offi...-world-july-1/

From the Greece Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the official announcement:

https://www.mfa.gr/en/current-affair...the-world.html
Old May 30, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by wco81

I don't know how random the random tests will be, lol, like the SSSS. I am personally annoyed that all OneWorld partners (AA, BA, IB) are in hotspot incompetent countries who seriously botched the virus response, and who may face additional restrictions and/or heavy random testing on arrivals, so whichever way you arrive you will be in a heavily scrutinized flight and random tested flight. Random tests means inconvenienced, increased risk, and mandatory overnight in a designated hotel with other suspected cases, it seems...
Old May 30, 2020, 4:00 pm

​​​​​​https://www.mfa.gr/en/current-affair...the-world.html

This is very confusing. So from June 15, if i fly from London to Athens via Munich, I am ok or not? As I am flying into Greece from Munich? Or they trace where you flew from a few days ago?
Old May 30, 2020, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Probably they will look at your passport and originating airport.

There may be loopholes, like if you go from US to London, stay a couple of days, then fly onward to the EU.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:08 pm

Probably they will look at your passport and originating airport.

There may be loopholes, like if you go from US to London, stay a couple of days, then fly onward to the EU.
Yes, if you spend the night then what? What if they ask you where you have been past 14 days?
Old May 30, 2020, 4:10 pm
Suspended

I thought they had surveys about where you've been in the past 14 days?

Didn't some countries have quarantine rules based on where the arriving traveler had been recently?

I'm talking early in the pandemic, not the current opening up phase.

So they could screen that way, regardless of your passport, where have you been?

Because you could have someone with a NZ or Taiwanese passport, two countries which have "beaten" the coronavirus. But these passport holders might have been in the UK or Sweden the past fortnight.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:12 pm

I thought they had surveys about where you've been in the past 14 days?

Didn't some countries have quarantine rules based on where the arriving traveler had been recently?

I'm talking early in the pandemic, not the current opening up phase.

So they could screen that way, regardless of your passport, where have you been?

Because you could have someone with a NZ or Taiwanese passport, two countries which have "beaten" the coronavirus. But these passport holders might have been in the UK or Sweden the past fortnight.
In Greece yes they have a survey where you have been last 14 days which you have to fill out, but that is during travel in May as friends of mine went to Greece and are now home doing the 14 day quarantine.
Old May 30, 2020, 4:12 pm

I also think it's highly likely the Commission will recommend external borders still shut for another month, with a heavy emphasis on opening the internal borders as much as possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.