Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 27, 2020, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Owenc
Some English is spoken in Malta, but it is not an English speaking country.
I thought Malta had some historical ties to England. So can't remember but cars drive on the left side of the road for instance?
Old May 27, 2020, 1:02 pm

Yes they drive on the left. It’s an independent country.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wco81
Has Belgium flattened or lowered the rate of new infections?

Can you go sample beers in Brussels or Brugge from outside the pub or do those cities allow alcohol outdoors?

Maybe biergartens would be a better option.
Yes you can have alcohol outdoors at pubs in Belgium. Also France, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, etc. In London on a nice Friday afternoon, one sees people overflowing from pubs and standing in the street with glasses of alcohol (and cigarettes). Alcohol is generally less regulated in Europe than the USA, although some countries such as Norway have a national state store system that is also responsible for importing the alcohol (with IIRC a few restaurants permitted to make their own decisions regarding what wine to import).

German vacation dates largely depend on (the analogue of K-12) school vacation periods, which depend on the province (lander). I was always amused to see Germans having cards or tiny calendars showing all of these dates and using them for planning.

For all practical purposes, all of France vacations in the south for the month of August. There are enormous traffic jams caused by this mass migration, while Paris seems empty, with many restaurants and stores closed.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:31 pm

https://m.faz.net/aktuell/politik/in...-16786311.html

EU/EEA travel will probably be allowed. No longhaul travel. If you ask me, this is what most EU countries with current negative travel advices will do.
Owenc likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I'd love to know, are there any EU citizens here planning summer vacations?
Old May 27, 2020, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
No I’m not leaving the U.K. Maybe in September, maybe.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I know some Swedish citizens planning international summer trips within the EU/EEA. And some are doing this even as they know their insurance coverage is jeopardized when going to a place where the Swedish foreign ministry has a kind of advisory against travel of sorts.

And I know there are some Dutch and German citizens who have booked up vacation accommodations in Sweden for this summer.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Depending on how busy my work is (probably not very) and what the weather is like at home, I may very well disappear for a week of so here and there.
Old May 27, 2020, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by wco81
I thought Malta had some historical ties to England. So can't remember but cars drive on the left side of the road for instance?
Malta has a fascinating history from the Knights Hospitallar to the French to the Brits. There are also great stories about terribly outnumbered RAF pilots taking on the Luftwaffe in the skies over Malta in WW2. I believe they became independent from the UK in the 1970's.

Not trying to go to any cities this summer. I just want to be able to enter the EU, check up on my apartment in Paris and go to the seaside. I have booked Cannes-St. Tropez-Saint Paul de Vence-San Remo-Porto Cervo-Rome-Zakynthos-Kalymnos-Kos-Rhodes-Karpathos-Paris, so if there's any hope of entering the EU and self-quarantining then being allowed intra-EU travel France-Italy-Greece and back to France, then there's still hope to salvage summer as booked. I have a ticket ex-JFK for July 6th. Still hoping.
Old May 27, 2020, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

Not trying to go to any cities this summer. I just want to be able to enter the EU, check up on my apartment in Paris and go to the seaside. I have booked Cannes-St. Tropez-Saint Paul de Vence-San Remo-Porto Cervo-Rome-Zakynthos-Kalymnos-Kos-Rhodes-Karpathos-Paris, so if there's any hope of entering the EU and self-quarantining then being allowed intra-EU travel France-Italy-Greece and back to France, then there's still hope to salvage summer as booked. I have a ticket ex-JFK for July 6th. Still hoping.
AKA, "the superspreader plan"...
ProleOnParole likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
AKA, "the superspreader plan"...
I'm fairly certain I already had it in Jan., I am happy to get an antibody test and quarantine at home for 14 days upon entry to the EU. Beyond that...as noted earlier by CDC estimates the symptomatic CFR is 0.4% and 35% of cases are asymptomatic brining the CFR down to 0.26%. The '17-'18 flu season had a 0.21% CFR. So we are talking about 0.05% worse than the flu season from two years ago. This hysteria needs to stop.
Old May 27, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Malta has a fascinating history from the Knights Hospitallar to the French to the Brits. There are also great stories about terribly outnumbered RAF pilots taking on the Luftwaffe in the skies over Malta in WW2. I believe they became independent from the UK in the 1970's.

July 6 is quite tight; hope you make it though! Depends on a bilateral agreement between USA and EU.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
That's why all Americans need to be tested upon arrival, or not allowed in this summer...It's this cavalier attitude that likely a large part of the population has...

What may possibly happen is that the US may go into the last category of countries ("red"), those with the highest risk, and they will randomly test a high percentage of those arrivals...Which will suck for those on those direct TATL flights...
fransknorge likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Even if allowed in, would you risk a TATL flight before vaccine?

At least 8 hours right?
Old May 27, 2020, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nk15
That's why all Americans need to be tested upon arrival, or not allowed in this summer...It's this cavalier attitude that likely a large part of the population has...

What may possibly happen is that the US may go into the last category of countries ("red"), those with the highest risk, and they will randomly test a high percentage of those arrivals...Which will suck for those on those direct TATL flights...
I don't mind being tested on arrival at all.
Owenc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.