Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 3, 2020, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by nk15
Flight from DOH to ATH, Greece yesterday, everybody got tested as per current protocol, 12 were positive out of 91 passengers. As per current protocol, the 12 positive went into 14-day supervised mandatory quarantine in a quarantine hotel, and the 79 negative in 7-day quarantine in a quarantine hotel. The 79 negative will be re-tested after the 7 days. Because of this, all flights from Qatar to ATH got cancelled until June 15.

You get the point how this will work out...You get a cluster of infections on a flight, they shut down the route for two weeks...
Who in their right mind would book to Greece with all this going on?
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Why not? They've handled it better than just about anyone in Europe, or the world, for that matter. I've been considering it.
exbayern and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by largeeyes
Why not? They've handled it better than just about anyone in Europe, or the world, for that matter. I've been considering it.
I don't mean because of the virus risk. I mean because of the testing and quarantining.

They just shut up a whole plane load of people in a hotel and cancelled an entire route. Not quite what I would call a holiday.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I booked back in 2019 before all of this nonsense, hoping to be able to go as planned. Not until Aug.
paulaf likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I booked back in 2019 before all of this nonsense, hoping to be able to go as planned. Not until Aug.
It is a bit awkward with pre-bookings. To be honest, I wouldn't be going to any country where whole plane loads of people are getting banged up in quarantine hotels, pre-booked or not.

But if it's a risk you are willing to take, good luck and enjoy your trip.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Flight from DOH to ATH, Greece yesterday, everybody got tested as per current protocol, 12 were positive out of 91 passengers. As per current protocol, the 12 positive went into 14-day supervised mandatory quarantine in a quarantine hotel, and the 79 negative in 7-day quarantine in a quarantine hotel. The 79 negative will be re-tested after the 7 days. Because of this, all flights from Qatar to ATH got cancelled until June 15.

You get the point how this will work out...You get a cluster of infections on a flight, they shut down the route for two weeks...
12 positive! Wow! Puts you off flying.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:28 am

I don't mean because of the virus risk. I mean because of the testing and quarantining.

They just shut up a whole plane load of people in a hotel and cancelled an entire route. Not quite what I would call a holiday.
12 were positive. Come on now.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Owenc
12 positive! Wow! Puts you off flying.
Article in English here:

https://www.ekathimerini.com/253318/...or-coronavirus
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They didn't get it on the flight, probably got infected about a week before boarding the flight, given the incubation period.

Would be interesting to know how many were symptomatic.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Owenc
12 were positive. Come on now.
Yes - but the whole plane was quarantined. If one person is found to be infected, then everybody else goes into mandatory quarantine for 7 days.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yes - but the whole plane was quarantined. If one person is found to be infected, then everybody else goes into mandatory quarantine for 7 days.
This is the reason why I would choose to go somewhere else.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
This is by the current rules though, where all passengers are being tested and are required to stay overnight in a hotel to wait for the results. After July 1 only random testing will be done and the other passengers will obviously be gone, and I assume they will only do contact tracing after that, in case of positives.
The Greek government have said that they will pay for all quarantine hotels, as they have already done so far, but no specific mention about medical coverage yet (I assume likely also free).
8420PR likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jun 3, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Italy opens to the EU starting today. Seems to have drawn some criticism, given the current rate of infections.

Germany to open to the EU from June 15.

France to open to the EU from June 15.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/

Belgium to reopen to the EU from June 15. Bars and restaurants on June 8.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...ours-june.html

However, countries may ask for proof of negative coronavirus test results for third-party nations visiting Schengen and that may apply to some EU nationals as well.

The majority of these countries have imposed restrictions for possible travellers to their territory while highlighting that travelling through the EU at the pre-pandemic level is not possible right now. As a result, most of them have imposed either two-week quarantine for arrivals, or COVID-19 test, or both.

In particular, a large share of EU members reopening the borders has noted that quarantine will be obligatory to all, aside from those who present a certificate of negative COVID-19 test results.

Earlier in mid-April, in an exchange of emails with SchengenVisaInfo.com, an EU official confirmed that those wishing to travel to the Schengen Area after the Member States start to gradually go back to normal might have to present a negative COVID-19 test.

The traveller may be required to take a new test before travelling to the Schengen area, as to make sure that he/she has not been infected in the meantime,” the source said while explaining that third-country nationals would have to present test results for visa applications and for entering the country.

Contacted again, regarding the recent developments, the same source noted that since the beginning of the pandemic it was clear that third-country nationals would need to present test results to enter the Schengen Area.

Health experts have advised that we have to learn to live with the virus, in order to beat it. I don’t see how the EU could reopen to third-country nationals without requiring negative test results, for as long as the virus lives among us,” the source said when asked whether there was a possibility of EU reopening the borders without imposing such a requirement.

The source also noted that the negative test results requirement for EU nationals was somehow unexpected.

We didn’t see it coming. Honestly, we didn’t think the Member States would impose quarantine or testing obligation on nationals of the rest of the EU. However, if such a requirement is imposed on EU nationals, it may indeed remain in effect for third-country nationals for quite some time,” the source concluded.

Back in April, the same source had also said that if the virus remains active in the future, once the COVID-19 vaccine is confirmed and available for all, Schengen visa applicants may also be required to be vaccinated.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...s-on-the-rise/
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just now the Dutch PM announced:

- Dutch travel advisory for most European countries will change from orange (only essential trips) to yellow (ok to travel but some risks), from June 15 or a bit later for some countries. Travelers from those countries welcome in the Netherlands
- UK and Sweden excluded, will remain orange for the time being and travelers from those countries are also not welcome yet in the Netherlands and quarantine needed
- Outside of Europe will remain orange
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 11:32 am
Suspended

Austria reopening borders with Germany, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia and Czechia tomorrow, with no quarantine or testing requirement. The Italian border will remain closed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.