Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 22, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
Are these spot checks any more common than they would be pre-Covid?
It depends, each state has their own set of policies. Some check more frequently than others, some (most?) abandoned controls completely. Some countries also allow people allowing from the EU to enter irrespective of their nationality/residence status. When in doubt, try contacting the respective embassy.

While "sneaking in" is generally possible via land borders, I would not recommend doing it. Entering a country where you're not allowed to enter can have severe consequences impacting your future travels.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:29 am

Meant to type Italy, still not awake.

Are these spot checks any more common than they would be pre-Covid? Part of the issue is that I don't have residency established here yet. In the process of applying for a work visa but because of the snail's pace that things are going, I think it'll be a while.
If you do not have residency in Belgium, you are pretty much restricted to only Belgium and would be illegally entering other EU countries. You could also end up getting stuck somewhere if you do get caught in a random check and even returning to Belgium could then be tricky. I would tread with extreme caution.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge

Germany can probably be explained by the large cluster in NRW.
What about the other countries ? Test increase or not ? I would think no test increase in Greece and Romania, maybe even Switzerland. Let’s see the hospitalisation numbers next weekend.
A concerning graph, indeed.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
If you do not have residency in Belgium, you are pretty much restricted to only Belgium and would be illegally entering other EU countries. You could also end up getting stuck somewhere if you do get caught in a random check and even returning to Belgium could then be tricky. I would tread with extreme caution.
that is nonsense. If you have a permanent resident card that that's equal to a citizens ID card. You can go wherever you want, you just need to bring your passport along as well.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by adenzin7
that is nonsense. If you have a permanent resident card that that's equal to a citizens ID card. You can go wherever you want, you just need to bring your passport along as well.
Did you read the original post? The OP does not have established residency.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by adenzin7
But he doesn't have a permanent residence yet.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: Delta SM
Indeed. Technically what I would be doing is overstaying, right? Which is punishable by a fine?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 3:37 am

You would probably be overstaying, which could result in a Schengen-wide entry ban and deportation order...and that would be on top of what would be classed as illegal entry into specific countries only accepting EU/EEA/UK/CH residents, which includes the countries you mentioned. Double whammy, really. I imagine it would go a lot further than just a fine. Personally, unless you want your chances of even visiting Europe let alone gaining residency here completely destroyed, I would stay put in Belgium until you have gotten your residency in order.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:38 am

Indeed. Technically what I would be doing is overstaying, right? Which is punishable by a fine?
No, you would be entering ilegaly, which is a crime in many countries. Penalty may range anywhere from warning to deportation (and entry ban).
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:29 am

Czech Republic has updated its map for entry, now Belgium is green so only residents of the UK (orange), Sweden (red), and Portugal (red) can't enter for tourism purposes.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Czech Republic has updated its map for entry, now Belgium is green so only residents of the UK (orange), Sweden (red), and Portugal (red) can't enter for tourism purposes.
...and certain parts of Poland (Silesia).
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...fection-rates/
Estonian authorities have decided to reimpose mandatory quarantine for citizens of Bulgaria, Poland and Romania, from today, June 22, as the number of Coronavirus infections rose to over 15 new infections per 100,000 people.

These three countries will join the quarantine list in which are already placed the UK, Sweden and Portugal nationals, according to the data from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:39 pm
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Germany is close to lock down in the north western area. Thousands of people are in quarantine. Holiday makers from the affected area are asked to finish their vacations at beaches. They are forced by the local authorities to go back home. R number is a little bit down today compared to yesterday but still well over 2 (2.76 - 23:30 pm German time) - and we should not forget that this number is a reflection of the situation from 10 days ago.

Last edited by Shl; Jun 22, 2020 at 5:45 pm
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Shl
Germany is close to lock down in the north western area. Thousands of people are in quarantine. Holiday makers from the affected area are asked to finish their vacations at beaches. They are forced by the local authorities to go back home. R number is a little bit down today compared to yesterday but still well over 2 (2.76 - 23:30 pm German time) - and we should not forget that this number is a reflection of the situation from 10 days ago.
Where is the source for this that they are forcing people to go home?

You are talking about an outbreak in a meat factory, so one location. How is that a lockdown? The only people in quarantine are the direct people in the meat plant and their families, and after 2 negative tests they are allowed out. The R rate is not reliable in low infection situations as 10 people can infect 1000 others and that would be an R rate of 3!

It is barely in the media, which means people are living their lives as normal as possible (with reasonable precautions).
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Where is the source for this that they are forcing people to go home?

You are talking about an outbreak in a meat factory, so one location. How is that a lockdown? The only people in quarantine are the direct people in the meat plant and their families, and after 2 negative tests they are allowed out. The R rate is not reliable in low infection situations as 10 people can infect 1000 others and that would be an R rate of 3!

It is barely in the media, which means people are living their lives as normal as possible (with reasonable precautions).
Germany will not return to a lockdown.

I am looking forward to my Berlin city break in August, after Geneva in July! Considering a Barcelona now too....
ahmetdouas likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.