Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 20, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Owenc
Europe isn’t a country. Why do you Americans keep insinuating that it is?

I am a British citizen and any country in the European continent is as foreign to me as Mexico is to you.

And here I thought Mexico was part of the USA. My bad!
Old May 20, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
France Criticizes Italy’s Plan to Open Borders for Holidaymakers in June

France’s Minister of Interior Christophe Castaner believes Italy should not have taken a decision to reopen its borders in June without first coordinating with some of the EU member states, calling Italy’s decision as a non-uniform response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Old May 20, 2020, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I am a British citizen and any country in the European continent is as foreign to me as Mexico is to you. Why would you think that Germany or Spain isn’t a foreign country to me? Spain is 1,000 miles away and speaks Spanish.

I don’t know why you would be offended with the current administration, either way. For all you know, they could keep the USA borders closed longer than the EU (and probably will).
It's not a country but there are EU passports and in principle, EU citizens are required to be treated equally for certain matters. It's also very roughly comparable in size (population) to the USA, so if one wants to just roughly eyeball some numbers rather than looking up populations and dividing, it can be a convenient benchmark.
af fp and Cryofern like this.
Old May 20, 2020, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus

I am a British citizen and any country in the European continent is as foreign to me as Mexico is to you. Why would you think that Germany or Spain isn’t a foreign country to me? Spain is 1,000 miles away and speaks Spanish.

I don’t know why you would be offended with the current administration, either way. For all you know, they could keep the USA borders closed longer than the EU (and probably will).
Because the EU Commission tends to act like it's a national government. And if you were born and raised in Texas you might find Mexico far less foreign than say perhaps Brooklyn.
Cryofern likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not a country but there are EU passports and in principle, EU citizens are required to be treated equally for certain matters. It's also very roughly comparable in size (population) to the USA, so if one wants to just roughly eyeball some numbers rather than looking up populations and dividing, it can be a convenient benchmark.
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Because the EU Commission tends to act like it's a national government. And if you were born and raised in Texas you might find Mexico far less foreign than say perhaps Brooklyn.
On top of that, there are often more strict regulations and law differences between US states than EU countries. For example, as a Polish citizen, I can move to France and use my driver's license there. Not here - if I move to a different state, I have to exchange it, I'm not allowed to keep using my old one. Some states don't transfer points on your license. You're not allowed to bring alcohol into Pennsylvania from a different state. Tobacco smuggling is big and auhtorities fight it. You go to jail for years in one state for possession of marijuana and it's legal across that line.

Many differences and I would say in terms of jurisdictions and sovereignty, as big differences in laws between states as in EU.

Also, I don't feel like I have anything in common with people in Alabama, and I'm sure they have nothing in common with us. So there are big cultural differences. Not as big as in Europe, but legally probably bigger than unified EU laws.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Barciur
On top of that, there are often more strict regulations and law differences between US states than EU countries. For example, as a Polish citizen, I can move to France and use my driver's license there. Not here - if I move to a different state, I have to exchange it, I'm not allowed to keep using my old one. Some states don't transfer points on your license. You're not allowed to bring alcohol into Pennsylvania from a different state. Tobacco smuggling is big and auhtorities fight it. You go to jail for years in one state for possession of marijuana and it's legal across that line.

Many differences and I would say in terms of jurisdictions and sovereignty, as big differences in laws between states as in EU.

Also, I don't feel like I have anything in common with people in Alabama, and I'm sure they have nothing in common with us. So there are big cultural differences. Not as big as in Europe, but legally probably bigger than unified EU laws.
Thank you for showing these people here that the EU is a good idea and bringing the Europeans more together inspite of their differences.
GUWonder and Barciur like this.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Wee bit, as in 50% larger? And 30% more deaths, while the yanks still clock in 1000 more daily? BTW the quoted figures say "Europe" which is much larger than the EU, so the 50% should probably read nearly double.
"wee bit" is an expression. But I think you need a calculator as the EU is more like 32% more populous than the US, right? And the point stands that the Europe has suffered much more damage from COVID.

126 832 deaths for all of the Americas, north, south and central.
163 367 deaths for all of Europe.

Or to look at it a closer way...
United Kingdom (34 796), pop 66m
Italy (32 007), pop 60m
France (28 239), pop 67m
Spain (27 709) pop 47m
Belgium (9 080) pop 11m

Total deaths for those 5 countries = 131,831
Total population of those 5 countries 251 million

Total deaths for the US = 90,353

Total population of the US 328 million
MSPeconomist and GetSetJetSet like this.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Well nowhere in the European continent is part of my country. It’s all foreign to me.

👍
Old May 20, 2020, 11:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There was a time when I would do that, but the gap is big enough to matter.

The EU population has over a 100 million more people than the US. Nothing very roughly comparable in population size when we are talking about c 445 million vs c 330 million. I’m not sure if this number still includes the UK as part of the EU despite Brexit.
Old May 21, 2020, 5:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Moderator note

A large number of posts discussing the languages and the difference between European countries and US states have been deleted. This is a thread about the opening of internal borders among European countries. Please stay on topic.

NewbieRunner
Coronavirus and travel forum co-moderator
Old May 21, 2020, 5:38 am

Greece reopens from June 15 for visitors from 19 countries: Cyprus, Israel, China, Japan, Australia, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Albania, Northern Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. More visitors to be allowed from July 1.

Source: https://www.skai.gr/news/finance/oi-...tis-15-iouniou
Old May 21, 2020, 5:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
While most of the countries on Greece’s June 15th list are EU and/or Schengen countries, some of the listed countries are not. It seems like Greece is assuming the EU/Schengen summer tourist season should include some non-European tourists too, with July 1st being when just about everybody allowed in last year can come in this summer too.
Owenc and The_Bouncer like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Greece reopens from June 15 for visitors from 19 countries: Cyprus, Israel, China, Japan, Australia, Norway, Denmark, Austria, Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Albania, Northern Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. More visitors to be allowed from July 1.

How are they going to get around the Schengen rules on entry from outside?
Old May 21, 2020, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
How are they going to get around the Schengen rules on entry from outside?
The current restrictions for the entry of non-EEA nationals are set to expire on June 15. Besides, countries can still issue national visas. This announcement is remarkably short on details but since Greece doesn't share a land border with any other Schengen state it's not completely impossible to implement.
GUWonder and The_Bouncer like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole

Finally! I knew some countries were going to decide the economy is more important than over-reaching COVID control. It is the right thing to do and hopefully more places will have the courage to do the same. There can be a balance between protection and commerce. It does not have to be 100% one or the other.
JNelson113 and exbayern like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.