Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 27, 2020, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thing is you can get infected on the TATL flight over and not test positive for a few days.

So they would probably require quarantine if they wanted to exclude Americans.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by wco81
Thing is you can get infected on the TATL flight over and not test positive for a few days.

So they would probably require quarantine if they wanted to exclude Americans.
Fine with being tested, and being quarantined for 14 days on arrival. Just LET ME IN .
Old May 27, 2020, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Fine with being tested, and being quarantined for 14 days on arrival. Just LET ME IN .

How about if you get sick while over there?
Old May 27, 2020, 5:34 pm
Suspended

How about if you get sick while over there?
At that point how does it matter where you came from? Once you've entered the EU, been tested and quarantined for 14 days, you can be sure you haven't brought it in. You could catch it from an infected local in Greece just as easily as a Greek native who has never left the country before.
Old May 27, 2020, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Right but will they treat you, especially if you have to be hospitalized, potentially for weeks?

Or will travel insurance with medical evacuation fly you back with medical gear and personnel back to the US?
Old May 27, 2020, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Right but will they treat you, especially if you have to be hospitalized, potentially for weeks?

Or will travel insurance with medical evacuation fly you back with medical gear and personnel back to the US?
I have evacuation insurance but again...new data suggests that once asymptomatic cases are considered, this is a 0.26% CFR, only 0.05% higher than the '17-'18 flu season. It made sense to freak out when we didn't know what we were dealing with and we thought this was incredibly contagious and had a 7% CFR. Now we know it's not 7%, it's not even 3.4%, it's 0.26%. Do we close the entire world every flu season?
Old May 27, 2020, 6:36 pm
Suspended

But you may be the one that at least requires extended hospitalization.
Old May 27, 2020, 7:39 pm

Even if allowed in, would you risk a TATL flight before vaccine?

At least 8 hours right?
5 hours.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nk15
AKA, "the superspreader plan"...
A superspreader is an unusually contagious individual due their shedding a higher than normal amount of the virus. It is not an individual who travels widely.

This hysteria needs to stop.
Old May 28, 2020, 12:53 am

I have evacuation insurance but again...new data suggests that once asymptomatic cases are considered, this is a 0.26% CFR, only 0.05% higher than the '17-'18 flu season. It made sense to freak out when we didn't know what we were dealing with and we thought this was incredibly contagious and had a 7% CFR. Now we know it's not 7%, it's not even 3.4%, it's 0.26%. Do we close the entire world every flu season?
It's been a few days since I saw flu comparisons The CDC planning document (not a scientific study) shows to expect 3.4% of cases to require hospitalisation, with 26% of those going into intensive care, and there are a lot of scientists challenging the fatality rate as not reflecting the real world numbers (e.g. it implies over 50% of NYC population had the virus through to the end of April). Ignoring the fatality rate, the planning document confirms what we have seen in Wuhan, Northern Italy, Madrid, Paris, London and New York - if left unchecked COVID-19 will cause the systematic failure of health services.

Regarding travel, I hope that the tentative steps currently taken by European governments in June do not result in additional cases. Realistically we could then see a further loosening of restrictions by the mid to end of July.
largeeyes and nk15 like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:12 am

No evacuation insurance in the world will cover evacuation of a coronavirus patient who travelled while ignoring their govt's do not travel level 2/3/4 advisory. The fine print will deny you.
largeeyes and ajGoes like this.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 84fiero
A superspreader is an unusually contagious individual due their shedding a higher than normal amount of the virus. It is not an individual who travels widely.
A super-spreader of a contagious pathogen includes people who due to their activity/behavior spread the virus to a lot of subjects/objects. A contagious person shedding a “no higher than normal” amount of virus doesn’t exclude the possibility of the person being a super-spreader due to their activity/behavior.

A few high profile cases of foreign super-spreaders of this virus in the EU during the “opening” leading to a surge of cases and perhaps even insinuations of death, and it could be that some national or regional authorities within the EU/EEA decide to become less welcoming to tourists for a bit again.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I'd love to know, are there any EU citizens here planning summer vacations?
Most of us do. Probably more domestic than in normal times.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Thanks for posting - that second document is very interesting and shows the type of multi-layer approach I expect most countries to take. Reading it did make me consider booking a holiday in Cyprus. I hope it all works out.

Hopefully the new normal is not that holiday destinations market themselves based on the number of respirators available for tourists!
Old May 28, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Most of us do. Probably more domestic than in normal times.
Absolutely, I have family in the EU and I absolutely plan on travelling to the EU from the UK where I live. My next trip is booked end of July and I fully plan on travelling, and should the borders open I will travel earlier as well, possible late June, early July depending on what's going on with the borders. It's understandable if some people are hesitant to travel, but closing the borders are very detrimental to many people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.